Beginner's safe space

Thanks @sairfingers. Really good practical advice there. I’ve only been playing Resolve for a week or 2 so was just trying to keep it steady. I would possibly look to mix it up a bit once I got more confident with it.

It was also probably the most usable clip from my recording session.

I watched your video of Norwegian Wood. Very good nice job :+1:

3 Likes

Sounds great to me. Clean changes and a steady rhythm which is the backbone of rhythm guitar. I’m about at your level (minus the guts to film myself), so this is more of an observation and question for the other experts out there:

Wrist vs arm movement when strumming? You seem to be mostly arm movement. I wonder if a bit more wrist would be recommended? Personally, I’ve been trying to angle the pick (as part of trying to use my wrist more) as it strums across the strings.

And congratulations on a great job.

2 Likes

@barker7

Mitch, that is a good recommendation, something to work on over time. All the while ensuring that the action is relaxed.

2 Likes

I am going to post another. Really pleased with the reaction to Resolve and have tried to take on board the advice given. This is ‘It’s Easier’ by John Grant from the ‘Queen of Denmark’ album. He mostly performs this on piano and it’s stunning but I found this version where he’s got a guitarist with him. I think with John’s voice it wouldn’t matter if he had a kazoo player with him (not slagging off kazoo’s!)

I just decided to put the mic on the desk just out of shot and it was probably less than 2 ft away from guitar and mouth. Much quicker to set up than fiddling with the boom arm and I reckon the sound is a bit better than the previous video. It’s all open chords except for a F and Gm in the bridge which I substituted for a Fmaj7 and G7. Hope you like it and all comments welcome.

8 Likes

You’re on a roll Bob, nice song and played / sung nicely, well done!
I agree the sound was much more balanced in this one. You did a little bit but perhaps it might be good to explore some changing dynamics throughout the song as you play it more, outside of that I can’t really offer anything from a “technical” point of view.
Most enjoyable :clap:

2 Likes

Another beginner video to have a look at, and a test of sharing video from Google photos to here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mccwVok4HnVVYPoq9

I’ve been learning since some time in mid May, so not very long though I’ve learned other instruments in the past.

I’ve got to the end of grade 1 lessons and am now consolidating and making sure I can remember memorised songs. This one is ‘Ain’t no sunshine’, played really simply to accompany myself singing, and also thinking about the pretty sparse accompaniment in the original. Not the best performance I’ve done of it, or the best recording as it’s just on my iPhone - but I’m keen to hear what you all think!

6 Likes

@BobW72 Oooooh I like this Bob. Being able to hear your voice makes all the difference. There’s a quality in your chest voice that I find deeply comforting all the way into the centre of my heart. Your guitar tones are gorgeous too, they blend with and support your voice so beautifully. You’ve already got a winning performance. Love it.

I’ve never heard this song. I think I have to learn it.

2 Likes

@oliver_bendix very nice performance Oliver. You’ve got all the ingredients happening here. I like your vocals a lot, there’s a vulnerability that expresses so much of the lyrics.

What was the cat looking at on the floor?

1 Like

Thanks @batwoman :slight_smile:

I think the cat might have been watching the dog wandering past! They both attend most of my online meetings when I’m working from home.

2 Likes

Good to have all the staff on the call Oliver :cat: :dog:

1 Like

Well done Oliver and congratulations on your first video post, a significant milestone to build on from here.
I thought that was nicely played, you were getting a nice clean Dm which I struggled with for a long time. Your singing matched up well and no doubt you’ll continue to develop on from what is a great starting point. :clap:

PS - awesome and supportive moggy you have there too :wink:

2 Likes

Definitely on a roll Bob !! Did not recognise the artist or song name but as soon as you started playing I knew I’d heard it before, so you must be doing ok. Time to keep the impetus rolling !
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well done Oliver, that’s a huge step to make ! Chords sounded clean and you vocals were very good. The strategically placed cat stopped me seeing if your strumming was constant or a little stop start. But all in all a good opener.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Another good one Bob. Sound balance is a lot better. I mentioned your strum dynamic the last time. Relax that wrist a bit and you’ll get more dynamic into your strumming.
Well done.

2 Likes

Well done Oliver, a good first AVoYP. Vibes from me for that.
I liked your vocal and your chords sounded pretty clean. Just keep your strumming arm moving up and down constantly. You were a bit stop start. Keeping your arm/wrist moving keeps you in time and in the groove of the song.

1 Like

Thank you so much @batwoman, slightly blushing here. Such kind words. I discovered John Grant a few years ago and he’s one of the few artists I like who isn’t really guitar based. It’s more pianos and keyboards but some really outstanding songs and that voice. In my view his best albums are Queen of Denmark, Pale Green Ghosts and Grey Tickles, Black Pressure. He can get a bit sweary just in case there is anyone younger around.

Couldn’t see many tabs for him that I can manage at my stage, this one is good to do though just with the alterations I mentioned earlier. I am trying to do barre chords but it’s a long road. Many thanks.

1 Like

@BobW72
Well done, Bob. That sounded good, relaxed and steady strumming and smooth left-hand work, easy on the ear vocal.

I agree, it was better. I can appreciate the merits of quick and easy. That said, you may get even better results if you invert the microphone and position it the same distance but perhaps head-high.

Irrespective, keep doing what you are doing and no reason for you not to post the next up as a topic in AVOYP rather than as a reply in this Topic.

1 Like

@oliver_bendix
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Oliver. First recording shared (all worked fine) and sounding good, great vibe. Look forward to the next as you keep on consolidating!

1 Like

Thanks @sairfingers great advice again. Just trying to get my rhythm solid as a foundation but absolutely I would like to mix up the strumming. I compare this to those old plate spinning acts if you know what I mean. You have to give enough time and effort to this part and that without neglecting that part over there. Got to keep all the plates spinning, everything is balance in my view. Great to hear the sound balance is working better.

1 Like

Very well done Oliver. I keep meaning to have another go at that song, I’ll leave it to others to give you tips but sounded nice and clear, I was watching the cat and listening to you!

1 Like