Beginner's safe space

That was great Oliver well recognizable and really nicely played, bravo! Might have been a bit rushed in few places but this stuff sorts itself ouy usually with more experience and confidence. You are on a right track!

1 Like

That was great Oliver. Nicely played and sung. :+1:

1 Like

Sounding great Oliver, nice share. If youā€™re ever worried about your guitar playing, just sing louder, amazing voice. Guitar captured the essence of the song too.

1 Like

I already commented earlierā€¦ but I forgot how much I liked the song, Iā€™ve been listening to it on Spotify & learned to play it now, I might post up an AVOYP of it in the next few weeks. Such a cracking song, canā€™t believe itā€™s not more popular. Hadnā€™t listened to it in years.

2 Likes

Hi @jkahn great to hear youā€™re enjoying the song, I was so pleased when I first looked it up and saw the chords. I was like ā€œis that it? Brilliantā€. Iā€™ve lost count of how many times Iā€™ve looked up a great song and said ā€œOh, maybe notā€ or ā€œdamn, more bars than a prisonā€

Back and Forth is another one by the Foo Fighters Iā€™m working on but thatā€™s got F in the chorus so itā€™s a good exercise in facing up to F, I just slow it down. The verses are A, C, G and D so theyā€™re fun to play and sing. Plus itā€™s got power chords in the pre-chorus so good value all round. Just a great catchy song too.

2 Likes

Hi there, Brendan from Canberra. Iā€™m on the final module of Justinā€™s Grade 2 and have been using House of the Rising Sun as my go-to for practicing full barre F chord. Itā€™s still one of my weakest chords, but little by little, it is slowly getting easier.

Hereā€™s my first recorded effort, about 3 weeks ago:

And hereā€™s one from yesterday:

6 Likes

Thereā€™s definite improvement in the month there Brendan, as shown with some extra strums and quicker chord changes, well done. Your timing is nice, I think you can trust yourself more on your changes to and from F, let it ring, it feels like youā€™re doing similar to I did in rushing to and from it. If youā€™re not already doing it I highly recommend emphasising practicing on the OMC exercise with F to Am, C and G n particular, I found it helped me alot in a relatively short space of time.

You seemed to flow a little more in the July recording in the second half which is great to see, proper documented improvement :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks. I think youā€™re right, I should add F changes back into my practice routine. I was doing them for a while, but when I moved up a module and the app stopped suggesting it, I stopped doing it. Really need to get more disciplined on the whole ā€œbuild my own routineā€ aspect of practice.

Also definitely agree that I do better in the second half of the song. Seems to take me a minute or two to get comfortable and find my groove on some songs.

2 Likes

Great first share Brendan. Definite improvement. Great to see another Aussie aroundā€¦ our numbers are growing.

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
@direvus
Bravo and congrats on a first recording, Brendan. The progress is clear, keep doing what you are doing.

There are many moments when your strumming keeps moving with your foot-tapping, even if not hitting the strings. Thatā€™s a good habit to develop.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Brendan.

That is coming along nicely and you can see a good improvement in those 3 weeks. Keep at those OMCā€™s, make them part of your practice routine.

1 Like

Well done Brendan. Definite improvement there over the 3 weeks mate. I like your steady, focused approach too, and locking into the rhyrhm. Going to be of significant benefit as you continue to move forward.

And yep, Iā€™m with @jkahn - great to see another Aussie onboard.

All the best, and keeping postinā€™.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Good Job mate, keep going

1 Like

I guess itā€™s time to take that step and throw something online for the first time. I started from zero in Oct. 2021 and Iā€™m currently engaged with Grade 2 Module 8 (done with the module, but running the practice routine from that). Below is my go at Pearl Jamā€™s Last Kiss, using the app for a backing track and occasional reference (itā€™s an easy chord progression, but red light syndrome was at the back of my mind, lol). I found an old GoPro 3+ in my closet and it seems to do the job ok, but the soundā€™s not greatā€¦one of these days Iā€™ll figure out recording into a DAW with my THR.

13 Likes

Good stuff Scott. Vibes from me for your first AVoYP.
Steady rhythm, clean chords and a great continuous up and down strum.
My one comment. Get out of the habit of constantly watching your fretting hand, the occasional glance is fine.
Well done. I look forward to more from you.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! As for watching the fretting hand, Iā€™m working on that! In my inaugural attempt here, I was doing a lot of staring down at the app to keep myself from jacking it up, lol (red light syndrome). :grimacing:

2 Likes

Congrats on your first AVOYP posting Scott, that was some sweet playing. Clean changes and solid strumming.

Iā€™ve found that to help me stop looking at my fretting hand all the time was to stand up and play. In a couple of weeks I also found it felt more natural as well.

Really well done.

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Scott. Your playing was smooth and steady throughout, all good. Recording sounded OK as well, fine for now. Keep on rocking!

2 Likes

Congrats on your 1st AOVYP Scott, well done.
As others have said, solid rhythm and clean changes, so good progress all round.
Yeah RBS is a bummer but you kind of get used to it over time.
Look forward to hearing more.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nicely played Scott and well done on your first AVOYP. I think everyoneā€™s commented on advice etc so nothing else to add there.

Iā€™m also a THR owner, you can run it via USB directly into your DAW, out of interest what DAW platform are you using?

Lovely guitar too (I may be a little biased there as a fellow PRS-er :rofl:)

2 Likes