Beginner's safe space

My mind plays tricks and saw Grade 1, in that case it makes more sense and by all means is not taking away from your recording, you did a stellar job!

2 Likes

Hi Alessandro, I agree with @adi_mrok 100%. For where youā€™re at I would bite the bullet, so to speak, and post separately in the AVOYP section. Youā€™ll not get anything thatā€™s not constructive as feedback anyway and, being in Grade 2 consolidation myself, I would completely recommend it.

3 Likes

@lilnamida Alessandro, that was exceptionally well played. Bravo on a first recording shared (at least first I recall but may be forgetful).

Iā€™d agree with those suggestions already made that you post your recordings in their own Topic in #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing based on the quality of your play. No reason for you not to post that way. This Topic is really for Beginners who may feel a little uncomfortable as they are starting to sharing recordings to share in that way.

And donā€™t worry about Spam. Share recordings of all the songs learned as part of your consolidation. If you reach the point of wanting to post multiple recordings 8 days a week then maybe need to slow it down :grin:

Iā€™m curious as to the reason for the capo. I see you have changed the chord shapes from the usual chords used but based on your play in this recording Iā€™d imagine you can play the song with open chords?

I also suggest you look at your phone and find the mirror/flip setting in the video config settings. I think you are right-handed based on the writing on the headstock. Not a big deal, just a little detail.

Look forward to your next.

2 Likes

@lilnamida re: Hallelujah

Cool and well played.
You were in a good flow with the rhythmic finger / strum work on that.
Time to migrate to AVOYP or your own space in a learning log.
go for it.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@lilnamida

Congratulations on posting your first recording, Alessandro, and what a great first video. :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Ok, i will post my consolidationā€™s recordings in the section. Thank you all!

@DavidP i played the Jeff Buckleyā€™s version, i truly think that Grace is one of the most beautiful album of all time, everyone souls give it a listen.

He played the song with a capo on, but instead of the strumming, he played another note a little bit stronger than the others.
There are slighty differences in the chorus too. There is also an entire dissonant intro that endures for more than a minute, and in grade 3 i want to learn that too.

2 Likes

@lilnamida That was awesome mate, really well played. Jeff Buckleyā€™s rendition of Hallelujah is awesome.

2 Likes

Thank you, i agree 100%, Jeff Buckley was truly an amazing artist.

1 Like

@NicoleKKB Nicole, I have not been active on the forum for a while, so I only just saw your AVOYP of The Gambler & Last Kiss. I assume you are well on your way with grade 2 because based on these 2 performances you are definitely beyond grade 1. To already be singing and playing this well so early in your guitar journey is great progress. I remember how rushed and bad timing i had when i first started playing songs ( something that still plagues me) , you looked very relaxed , no rushing, nice tone in your strumming , holding chords really clean, no buzzing etc. and singing while playing ! that is quite amazing. I would like to share some tips and guidance based on my personal experience but to be honest I donā€™t see anything that needs correction. You are obviously diligent in your learning approach as i can see the formation of good technique here , which puts some of my sloppy technique to shame. I hope you keep going on your guitar journey , maybe even see you on some open mics soon. btw, i have still not figured out the whole AVOYP playing thing , I think i should do some postings though as it is good discipline to actually make you learn a song fully. Keep up the great work.

4 Likes

@eric.lennon Oh Eric, thanks so much for your kind words. You really made me blush :flushed:.
To be honest, it took me quite long and required weeks of practice to finally play and sing these two songs. It didnā€˜t come easily, but it was a valuable experience to see, that I can reach my goals - slowly but steadily :blush:.
After consolidating grade 1 I felt quite confident with my progress, but at the moment - at grade 2 and so many new chords - I feel like an absolute newbie again :see_no_evil:. I know, with practice and patience, I will get better (and hopefully confident again), but the patience-thing is a bit difficult :sweat_smile:. So, thanks again for your positive feedback, reassuring me that Iā€˜m walking in the right direction :slightly_smiling_face:.

By the way, I hope you had a wonderful time in Italy and look forward to seeing you performe at the next OM :smiley:.

3 Likes

ā€œā€¦and the crowd goes wild!ā€ That was great! Very nice playing, look forward to your next performance :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

Nice solid and steady rhythm Drake and more a impressive performance as you are singing as well as playing at this early stage. Well done. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well done Pozz liked that immensely as I love JC version of the NiN song. Pretty solid in my book, some suggestions on how to exploit those pumping 8s and add dynamics but you did a good job. So much so Iā€™m going to dust it down and have a play of it tonight, as not touched it in ages.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey RJ great debut and first recording. Having fun by the looks of it, what is not to like. Solid changes and not distracted by singing, which is the hard thing. Iā€™d echo what been said about the strumming pattern and dynamics but all round pretty good. Well done sir.

2 Likes

Whoa Alessandro what a debut, some great fingerstyle going on there, on which I canā€™t comment as I am not much of a picker ! Canā€™t wait to hear the rest.

2 Likes

@NicoleKKB. Hi Nicole, yes I am planning to do a song at the next OM just need to decide what to do, I would like to try an electric song this time but I donā€™t really have the technology bit sorted out to make it work over zoom. The workshop in Italy was fantastic, I have actually posted a little review this evening which you can find in the community forum. Cheers Eric

1 Like

Thanks Toby!

Iā€™ve been focusing on the strumming and seeing some improvement. I appreciate the positive words.

2 Likes

@eric.lennon I always enjoy your performances at the OMs. We seem to have a similar song taste, and your playing and singing always sounds very professional :star_struck:. So, Iā€™m really curious about the song, youā€™ll finally choose :smiley:.
But I totally understand, that all the technical stuff when playing electric via Zoom is a learning process on its own.
Some weeks ago, JK created a very helpful thread about this topic. You find it here:

I hope, itā€™s helpful :hugs:.

1 Like

@NicoleKKB Hi Nicole, thanks a lot for sharing the info on the recording. JKā€™s instruction look quite comprehensive and I am usually pretty ok with the tech so hopefully I can figure it out from this. ( Donā€™t tell anyone, but before I retired I was CTO of a large multi national company but i was just never really that interested in technology. :hushed: )
As for OM , I have more than 10 songs which are in different states of readiness for OM but I need to focus and get one to performance level, this is so typical of me always changing my mind to last minute. :roll_eyes: Thanks again for taking the time and effort to find and send me this info

2 Likes

@eric.lennon

No worries, your secret is safe with me :innocent:.

At the moment, Iā€™m also working on 7 different songs (but not primarely for a future OM), focussing on only 1 or 2 is quite difficult to me, as there are so many great songs around :blush:. Nevertheless, Iā€™m really curious, which song youā€™ll perform in three weeks :smiley:.
See you then :hugs:.

2 Likes