Beginner's safe space

Thanks @DonnatheDead , quite observant :slight_smile: , the space is very small but this is in hand although it may take a few months to get sorted. As fot not looking at my hand I think thats just 2 easy chords lol. Better things to follow and I will certainly be looking at my hands.

R.

2 Likes

Rachel - thatā€™s it, youā€™ve done it now. Youā€™re an AVOYPer for real. Congrats and kudos for jumping in.
Youā€™ve had good and useful advice which doesnā€™t need repeating.
Applause on top of applause never hurt though so have some of that!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Considering that this is only grade 1 this is truly impressive performance. Canā€™t wait how it will sound after completing grade 2 :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Hello Radek, thanks a lot for your motivating words. They are very much appreciated :hugs:.
Working my way through grade 2 is my project for 2023. I deliberatly want to ā€˜go slowā€™ as there is so much more to learn than in grade 1.
So yes, we will see, how The Gambler will sound by the end of this year. Iā€™ll keep in mind to post an update then :smiley:.

2 Likes

No need to rush things, it is better to enjoy this process slowly :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting and it kooks like itā€™s time for you to move on to grade 2 Howard.

Some great advice already from others for you to bear in mind going forward.

1 Like

Congratulations your first AVOYP postings Rachael. Great advice from others. You seems to be progressing nicely. What I did like was you werenā€™t always looking down at your guitar. This will set you in good stead for things to come.

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

R.

1 Like

Hi all, not sure if Iā€™m posting this correctly but it seems like you just do a reply to the thread. As I mentioned in my intro Iā€™ve been playing a long time but progress has been sloooow! I really love Hi Ho silver Lining. itā€™s such a fun song. I took 11 takes to get this one all the way through. I kept screwing up the words in the second verse. Not really very confident with my playing but I really enjoyed recording myself. Iā€™ve always tried using a voice recorder app previously and that never came out very well. Someone suggested I use the camera on my phone and that was a great suggestion. I apologise for not showing the guitar on the video. I was happy enough just managing to record something :slight_smile: Hi Ho Silver Lining. The biggest thrill was getting a copyright notice from google

ha ha ha

9 Likes

And the prize for the first person to post an AVoYP with an invisible guitar goes tooā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.:smile:

Well done Lance you sang with obvious enjoyment there.
Letā€™s see the guitar next time.

5 Likes

Nice job Lance but as Gordon pointed out we need to see the guitar :guitar:.

2 Likes

Well done for sharing Lance, it sounded nice and steady. As the others have said, please try to get your guitar (or at least your hands) in frame next time round!

2 Likes

@lance
Bravo, Lance, congrats on a first recording. Glad the phone video worked and you posted it correctly.

Playing sounded good. Were you playing an unamplified electric or the amp turned way way down so as not to over-power your singing. If so maybe try turning up just a little bit, no need to rattle the windows and neighbours cages, but a bit more guitar tonje would be cool, I think.

Look forward to your next video, featuring Lance and his guitar :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Yes I thought after Iā€™d done it I should have had the guitar in it but I was so focussed on getting something done I didnā€™t think of that until Iā€™d posted it on youtube :person_facepalming: @DavidP amp was turned down. (without sounding to Bridget Jones note to self Next recording amp turned up + guitar in view :joy:)

5 Likes

Congratulations on your first AVoYP. Great that you managed to sing and play, took me years.

2 Likes

@skinnyt I know what you mean. I have been trying to play for years & singing and playing together was a challenge at first. Iā€™ve got the hang of that but Iā€™ve been very inconsistent with my progress. However I am regularly practicing now so hopefully can improve :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Lance, way to get that first one out! You did it, love the Google recognition being an unexpected perk for you. I know all about the bunches of takes but thatā€™s part of the journey bud. Persistence is your super power keep it up!ā€¦.Rod

2 Likes

Hi, Aviral here, my first upload here, a (very) short recording. Would love any feedback or comments. Thank you
https://soundcloud.com/aviral-jain-13/slts

6 Likes

Hello Aviral and welcome to the Community! :slight_smile: good start for sure, although I would suggest following Justinā€™s lesson in order to get a feel of strumming as I think at the end of each section you missing a strum. Donā€™t get discouraged itā€™s not as easy song to play as many think especially for a beginner! Good luck and see you around :wink:

3 Likes

A good effort. To my ears, you speed up considerably in the 2nd half. I would suggest using a metronome and trying to play all of it at the same tempo.

2 Likes