Beginner's safe space

Thanks all for the comments; it’s a relief to get the first video out of the way! :wink:

Actually, I finally got my THR hooked into my Mac yesterday evening and got it working. I first tried using Audacity, after watching a video from Rachelf, who also uses a THRII, but also tried out GarageBand. I suppose the next logical step would be to figure out merging the video with a good audio track. :smiley:

Yep, love my PRS; so comfortable to play!

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVoYP. Strumming and chords changes were pretty good. Looking forward to more

2 Likes

Good stuff Scott, I’m a PC user so GarageBand is, unfortunately, out of my sphere of knowledge but there are plenty on here who love it and I’m sure can give you some good tips. :+1:

1 Like

Hello, I had a question. Is it useful to post an audio only performance? I have a rough recording of a song I played with my husband helping me out on the drums. He just did a quick audio recording with his phone, so no video, but I liked how it turned out. It’s definitely not flawless and I would like some feedback, but if you can’t see me play, is would it still be useful to post? Or should I wait until I am able to to a video version?

3 Likes

Jennifer @Jenndye429

Just get it posted, don’t hold back for perfection.
Audio is just fine.

Michael :+1:

3 Likes

Alright… here it goes…

This is my attempt at The Beatles Dig a Pony. I have been following Justin’s beginner course and have been playing for what will be 10 months this month. While Dig a Pony is not currently in Justin’s lesson catalogue, it is probably the song I have been the most determined to learn. I started learning it shortly after the Let it Be documentary was released late last year.

This is just a rough audio only version with me on guitar/vocals and my husband playing along on the drums. He just recorded it on his phone while we were playing- nothing fancy. This was the first time I actually caved in and let my husband record me. I’ve been nervous about doing any kind of recording. I also used a looper to fill in the rhythm section while I played the solo. There are a couple of rough spots- definitely not perfect, but I’m happy I did it! I am still working to get better at seamlessly incorporating the looper when I am doing something like this. There is also a little section at the very end where I say “oops” and restart the section. I’m hoping that posting this will be the push I need to work up the courage to do a video version!

Dig a Pony 7 31

10 Likes

Ok I think I’ll get the first recording posted and out of the way.

Im on Grade 1 Module 6 right now. This is practice from today, the beginning of my 8th week. I Remember You by Skid Row. This is practice on chords C and G.

No the clip is not perfect. Certainly, it not as good as I’d like it to be. I’m not focusing on strumming or timing, I’m trying to get fingers into good chord shapes, near the frets. And I think I’ve got bad wrist position. I’m repeating to the perfectionist in me- this is just a single practice, and the world still revolves. :slightly_smiling_face: Any feedback welcomed.

14 Likes

Congrats on your first AVOYP post Stacy! Good stuff. Keep working those One Minute Changes for C and G and it will all come together.

3 Likes

Good job Stacy,

First post is always scary and is a huge accomplishment by itself. It gets easier and easier.

Love the song choice, I remember you is one of my favorites. Who doesn’t love a good power ballad?

That’s very good for where you’re at, 8 weeks in is still really early on so it’s good that you started recording yourself. You’d be surprised at how much better you’ll get as the weeks/months go by and you’ll have a record of your progress.

3 Likes

Stacey congratz on your first recording, lots to enjoy about this one! Good chord changes and clean notes sounding out of this lovely guitar. As you are just starting I won’t go for too long about foot tapping against the rhythm etc, all I can suggest is to think about in the future once you get more relaxed with chords and changes. Overall great job!

3 Likes

Jenny that was great well done on your first recording! It’s always a bit harder to give feedback on audio only but overall it was a mighty fine recording. My suggestion would be to slow down where you play solos etc in order to nail it down without any hickups. So keep working at it and you will get there!

3 Likes

That was very tasty, Jenny. Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting. Great stuff playing with your husband, loved the playing and the vocals. 10 months in and sounding sweet.

3 Likes

Sounding good Stacy, congratulations on your first AVOYP posting. 8 weeks in and that is great progress. @adi_mrok has already mentioned about the foot tapping and rhythm and like he has said just something to bear in mind as you progress. Keep at those one minute changes and you’ll be rocking it before you know it.

Not terrible, remember that is a lot better than you could have done 8 weeks ago. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Stacey that’s good progress for just eight weeks learning. Nice crisp chords and the fingers know where they need to go. Just keep working on positive finger placement and one minute changes and as @SgtColon says you will be rocking in no time.

As for your question on wrist position it’s good that your asking these types of questions early on in your learning and I’m sure someone with more experience will give you some feedback on that particular subject.

3 Likes

Jenny @Jenndye429

Well done always nice to get your first AVOYP out of the way.
I am just a Grade 1 beginner so far be it for me to offer any appropriate feedback but others will I am sure.

Well done again :wave::wave::wave:

Michael

3 Likes

Jenny, great job on your first recording, good progress for 10 months in. Looking forward to more.

3 Likes

Stacy, good job on your first posting. Good progress for 8 weeks.

3 Likes

Stacey, that was a very solid first recording. Keep up the with the one minute changes and before you know it your chord changes will become second nature. Well done!

3 Likes

My first video recording of myself playing. This is The Beatles A Hard Day’s Night with my husband doing the drums. I’m currently working on adding in the solo and the outro, but they aren’t quite up to speed yet.

15 Likes

Hi Jenny. That sounded great, the rhythm was constant and your chord changes were good. Your vocals sounded really good. Beautiful guitar too. Well done.

4 Likes