Beginner's safe space

Hi Valerian,
At least, it feels right for me. But everybody has different needs, and so there are many different possibilities to create ones own guitar journey. Maybe I‘m just afraid of moving on to the next level :sweat_smile:.
Regarding music theory, I‘ll give it a try. Maybe it‘s too early for me, maybe not. I‘m really curious about it :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Huge congrats on making that first leap into the land of recording. Good song choice and doing well. Lots of good advice given so far, so nothing to add from me. Just keep practicing and the progress will.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Congrats Jenny. Not only a debut recording but singing to boot ! Well done. Nothing to add to what’s been said, all sound advice.

2 Likes

Great recording Jenny, really making progress. Lovely to see such solid rhythm and that hand never ever stopping, a great core skill to develop. Impressed that you are singing and playing so early in your learning path. Impressive well done.

Cheers

Toby

2 Likes

Certainly time to move on Valerian. Pretty solid throughout especially when the song tempo picked up. Good work. The only thing I would add, was the volume was very low and looking at YouTube you have a lot of headroom on your recording level. Apart from that you are all good !

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey everybody,
inspired by all the other recent video posts, I‘ve decided to jump into cold water and make my first AVOYP as well :grinning:.

Right now, I‘m in consolidation phase of grade 1 and played for this video one of the 5 songs I try to memorize. It‘s ‚Three Little Birds‘ by Bob Marley. I didn’t use a strumming pattern, but tried to fingerpick it instead. To make it a bit more of a challenge :sweat_smile:. And at least to me, it sounds better that way (although not every chord change and picking turned out as smoothly as I wanted it to be :see_no_evil::slightly_smiling_face:).

I‘m very much interested in your thoughts and tipps to improve my playing :grinning:.

17 Likes

Hey that’s awesome Nicole :clap:

With singing too, great job.

Only tip would be not to dwell too long on minor ‘faults’ the performance was really clean, don’t be too strict with yourself before moving on :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Great share Nicole. Beyond Grade 1 already I think!

3 Likes

Hi Nicole that was terrific, way beyond Grade 1 in my opinion. You are doing great and nothing to be shy about! :smile:

2 Likes

Hi Nicole,
That was unbelievably good, the singing and fingerpicking were really great and an AVOYP more than worthy and in that respect very well passed for grade 1 (but you know better yourself whether there is still something to learn in grade 1, but purely based on this :ticket:grade 2 :grin:)…I am impressed :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet: :man_bowing:
Greetings,Rogier

4 Likes

@liaty @jkahn @adi_mrok @roger_holland
Thanks so much for taking the time, watching my video and - of course - for your positive feedback :grinning:. I haven‘t checked with the mirror, but I‘m quite certain that I blushed while reading your reply’s :flushed::slightly_smiling_face:.

And yes Dave, I‘m a kind of perfectionist. It‘s not easy for me to move on, as long as some faults still happen. And to be honest, I feel quite comfortable in grade 1 :sweat_smile:.
I will definitely move on - in some weeks or so :upside_down_face:.

Thanks again to all of you :smiley:.

4 Likes

What a way to consolidate grade 1. Fingerpicking and singing, very impressive Nicole. What a great job you did of the song. Great things to come, I think.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your kind reply, Stefan. I’m glad that you like my version of the song :hugs:.

2 Likes

Well done Valerian on your first recording, it was great! With steady strumming and good chord change you’re definitely on your way to Grade 2.

2 Likes

That’s a great first up recording. The fingerpicking was fluent and the vocals were beautiful. Well done Nicole!

2 Likes

Well done, really nice. Great idea to finger pick it with such easy chords in that song.

3 Likes

Thank you, Bob. I thought, finger picking would make the song more interesting, as I’m not able to play it Reggae style, yet :wink:.

2 Likes

Well done Nicole, you have such a lovely voice too! :slight_smile: I’m just about to post my first AVOYP - its nerve wracking so well done you on reaching that all important first milestone :slight_smile: xx

2 Likes

@NicoleKKB

Bravo, Nicole, takes some doing to make the first recording and yours is delightful. I really enjoyed your intrepretation and you showcased good clean chords and changes, right-hand technique beyond expectations of grade 1, easy on the ear vocal. Lots to love.

What you may want to experiment with as you progress is playing alternating bass notes on the E and the D chords as you did for the A chord. For the D chord you could try the open A string. While we learn to play just the thinnest 4 strings when playing a D chord in order for the lowest note to be the open D string, which sounds good in most chord progressions, the open A string is also a note in the D chord, so works well when playing alternating bass notes. For the E chord, my preference is to alternate between the open E string and the D string. Given your ability to play the A chord as well as you did, you may enjoy exploring this idea.

Once again, well done and look forward to your next recording.

4 Likes