Beginner's safe space

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Hi Jenny, great share. Looks like youā€™ve been practising for a while :smiley:. And must be good to have a ready made band with your husband on drums! Looks like your playing is coming along nicely. With some more practice those barre chord changes should get quicker. Try to get the barre down first if you can - generally just comes as your speed increases.

BTW - nice guitar, and I swear my kids have some of that same lego in the background too.

3 Likes

Thanks for the share Stacy. Coming along quite nicely now. Youā€™re doing the right thing at this stage focussing on chord changes. Once they get faster them attention on strumming will help.

Most of the time you were hitting the chord change on the start of the bar too. Thatā€™s great, and important for the song. Trying to hit the change on time is important.

You made a comment at the end - ā€œthatā€™s terribleā€ - it wasnā€™t. Itā€™s learning. Put in the hours now and youā€™ll notice the improvement quite quickly.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! It has been fun having my husband play with me. Itā€™s also really good practice. I have been playing for 10 months and am on grade 3 of the beginners course currently. I play almost every single day and I love seeing the progress Iā€™ve made. My husband took a video of the first day I picked up the guitar and itā€™s fun watching it sometimes to remind myself how much Iā€™ve learned so far.

And yes, my daughter is a big Lego fan. My music area is currently in the room where she build her sets :grinning:

4 Likes

@Jenndye429

That was great, Jenny, you are doing ever so well to be playing and singing with the drums. Keep on rocking and rolling, keep doing what you are doing.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone who watched, liked, and commented on my recording. I really appreciate and welcome all the feedback.

I am having a lot of fun and canā€™t believe just a couple of months ago I couldnā€™t have made a single pleasant sound come from a guitar. So excited to move forward in the lessons and could just hug Justin and everybody else here for everything!

5 Likes

That was very tasty, Jenny. What a great song to cover and you did it real well. Nice changes, good strumming and good on the vocals.

3 Likes

Congrats on your first post Stacey. You remind me of myself when I first started, and it all gets better from here. Great job.

3 Likes

Great job Stacy!! Everyoneā€™s added sounds advice so I wonā€™t repeat other than to say congratulations on getting your first recording up, itā€™s a big boundary to get over :clap:

3 Likes

Terrific Jenny!! Definitely looks like youā€™ve put alot of time into that so far.

Itā€™s always good to watch or hear early recordings, itā€™s a nice reinforcement when you feel youā€™re not getting anywhere to remind yourself how much you actually have moved on!

Cantā€™ wait for more from you :+1:

3 Likes

it is unclear to me how i can post a song
please help!

danny

@docdanguitarman if it is audio only then upload to a host site (soundcloud or google drive or similar) ā€¦ it is is video then upload to youtube or similar. Once done, make sure you have the privacy settings set to either public or ā€˜those with link can viewā€™ (not private) and then copy / paste the link here.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Wow! Thatā€™s quick to get to Grade 3. Two years in and Iā€™m only half way through Grade 2, and still canā€™t get the F barre chord as you can.

3 Likes

Thank you! You will definitely get there. Iā€™ve been learning/practicing this song since I first picked up the guitar, so I have been using the F chord since the beginning of my guitar journey, even though it hadnā€™t been introduced in the course yet. Iā€™ve also had some lessons in addition to the beginners course. For me, it has been helpful to learn songs that use the things you struggle with since it forces you to practice them. My chord nemesis tends to be the B7, so Iā€™m working on a couple songs that use it so I can get more proficient at switching to/from it.

7 Likes

End of beginner grade 1ā€¦ Do I pass? Is it enough to move on? :crossed_fingers:

Anyway it was a very awkward experience to record myself. Lost count of beat a few times because of the stress :roll_eyes: but with time and repetition it should get easier.

Please let me know what you think!

505 by Arctic Monkeys Grade 1 Test

5 Likes

@Sylosia I think you should move to Grade 2 your chord changes where good and the strumming at the end of the video had good timing. :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot !

1 Like

Hi Valerian,
You faced the beastā€¦this is a very big step your first video and also share it with us,ā€¦good strumming arm :sunglasses:ā€¦well done and on to grade 2
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

@Sylosia
Hi Valerian,
wow, your first video is online. Congratulations :clap:. Sounds and looks good :slight_smile: . If you feel ready for grade 2, I donā€˜t think, there is any reason not to move on.

Iā€˜m more or less at the same level as you are - end of grade 1. And I was also wondering when to move on to grade 2. Finally, I decided to stay a bit longer where Iā€˜m right now and grant me a looong consolidation phase. I started with the eartraining course instead and will also have a closer look at the music theory- as well as the strumming-course.
Something inside of me tells me, that I would benefit from an extended stay in grade 1. Mabey, Iā€˜m a bit more of a sloth :sweat_smile:.

Wish you lots of fun in grade 2 :smiley:.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @NicoleKKB!

Besides, I think youā€™re totally right to take your time.

I went through the beginning of grade 2 these last two days and I know already that I wonā€™t be moving from the first module anytime soon cause thereā€™s a lot to take in already.
I also began the eartraining but I will keep it very short in my practice schedule because my first goal is to strengthen my ring finger (I played a lot of football - soccer - and as a goalkeeper, got my fingers in pretty bad shape but with practice Iā€™m starting to see improvements on that side which is a relief).

I think youā€™re very inspired to look into music theory that early in the process because I think it will be key in the long run. I searched for a book on music theory recently but couldnā€™t decide with all the options (yes, option paralysis is the real deal). Iā€™d like something very theoretic (and not just for guitar) to read before bed. Anyway I think youā€™re doing the right choice here :slight_smile:

2 Likes