Best DAWs for recording solo acoustic guitar - no vocals

I’m a complete beginner in the recording department.

I’ve done a little bit of research and ended up with 3 options. a. cubase elemenets, b. studio one, c. reaper

Still, I’m not sure if those are the best options.

I only care about recording a single acoustic guitar that plays harmony and melody at the same time. I want it to sound as good as possible.

Cheers

The only one of those I’ve used is Reaper. I was quite happy with it.

1 Like

It’s not on your list, but I use Waveform. Free to use and does everything I need it to do when recording guitar. As a “complete beginner” it’s well worth a look since you can start figuring out what you need from a DAW and what you don’t, without any upfront costs.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the Community.

I have been using Reaper for several years since starting out with Audacity.

As I understand it Cubase would cost more and you will most likely have to by upgrades for Studio One to give it the same functionality as Reaper gives from day.

Your recording requirements will most likely change as you develop your playing, so some future proofing now will be worth it in the long run.

Just my humble opinion

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the reply

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a good idea. I’ll try that one first and act accordingly. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

Thanks and glad to join you! Again :Ρ Did not realize the old forum was completely replaced ! :smiley:

I’ll try “waveform” that Goffik suggested and If I’m not satisfied I will go with the “reaper”.
Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

I think that’s something all DAWs can handle.

When you buy an audio interface it might come with a DAW. My Scarlett came with Ableton, so I use that.

Reaper is very popular and cheap.

This is interesting, I’m using audacity at the moment since I’m doing very simple acoustic recordings with no effects.

Reaper had a trial time if I’m not mistaken right? I’m thinking about giving it a go, audacity is fine and I’m sure has a lot of possibilities but it’s not very intuitive in my opinion.

Audacity isn’t really a DAW, by most common definitions; it’s a multi track audio recording and editing tool, but it lacks a lot of the capabilities of a proper DAW.

The workflow is one of those things. The workflow in Audacity isn’t great compared to most DAWs.

Audacity is fine for simple stuff, but if you want to get a bit more serious, there’s loads of proper DAWs you can get cheaply.

Reaper is one that is pretty cheap (not strictly free). Ardour is also pretty cheap.

And if you get an audio interface, many will come with a free DAW app. These are usually cut-down versions of the full commercial app, but they are often still better than Audacity.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like