Billy Bragg - St Swithin's Day

I’m new to the Community, so having done a short ‘introduction’ post, I thought I’d record a quick song. Sorry, no production effort here, just pressed record on my iphone!

Looking forward to being a more active part of this wonderful community!

Paul

14 Likes

Hi Paul (and welcome for your other thread :grinning:)
That sounds better than most of my recordings, even with production :rofl:
Funny, I just listened to Billy Bragg on Adam Buxton’s most recent podcast

Thank Brian - I’ll take a listen to that. Been a Billy fan a long time - love his songwriting, Worker’s Playtime is a fabulous album.

1 Like

Hi Paul…again :smile:
Nice playing and and it’s good to see that you’re out of the beginner stage :smile:… now it’s time to improve your recording quality… :sunglasses:
Landscape mode is often preferred, but if you like it better, just keep doing it that way :smile:
As long as you enjoy it, it’s fine,
Greetings,Rogier

Thanks Roger - yep, next time I’ll put a more more care into it - didn’t think about landscape, literally just popped up the iphone and hit record :slight_smile:

That was really good Paul. New song for me and I enjoyed it a lot. I also record with just my iPhone and it seems to work just fine. Nice vocals too! :+1:

1 Like

Great ! Sounds great ! What a super involved new member! Welcome aboard Paul !

1 Like

What a nice debut AVoYP, Paul! Well done. :clap:

It’s obvious you’re no beginner anymore. Great work on the arpeggiated chords while singing, something that’s not working fine for me yet. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really good! Definitely not a beginner but then again you’ve been playing over 40 years - I went to read your intro post :grinning:

Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Enjoyed the playing. I’m looking forward to being able to play smoothly with different techniques like you just did.

How long have you been playing?

A polished performance, Paul, playing and singing. I hope you’ll be able to make recordings in future of an audio quality that does more justice to your performance.

1 Like

Thanks Scott - There’s a big difference between ‘how long have i been playing’ and ‘when did I start’!
I started playing when I was 12 (I’m 54 now), and played during my school days. I then had a lot of periods when I didn’t play at all - with up to 10 years of not touching a guitar. I picked it up again when I was in my early 40s but mostly fingerstyle, then stopped again for about 8 years until last year. I’m about to semi-retire so plan to get back into it again now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hell of an intro video Scott :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, @Notter, but that video was courtesy of @mathsjunky. If I did an intro video now it wouldn’t be anywhere near as polished.

D’oh, typo!! Had just read through the thread and didn’t check like I usually do. my super short term memory is really shot, or have I just started Friday drinking early… :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Very nice Paul, and welcome to the community!

1 Like

Hi Paul. In a different conversation you mentioned that playing a long time should not be confused with playing well. But when listening to your recording I can wholeheartly say that in fact you do play very, very well. I especially like the tone of your voice also. Your voice is such a great fit to the melody and provides a very nice contrast to the dark and energetic sound of your Les Paul. I haven’t heard the song before and looked it up on youtube, but I like your version more. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That was very nice Paul.

I think you underestimate yourself on your playing and singing. Great job on the individual string picking as well.

1 Like

Thanks Mark!

That’s very kind of you Franz! Not sure I agree, but I love Billy’s rawness on this album.

Thanks Stefan!

2 Likes