So, a while back, after the online mini-gig, Andrea (@Helen0609) requested I try a Billy Idol cover, specifically Rebel Yell, so I thought why not give it a go! I will mention that Nicole (@JokuMuu) suggested White Wedding, so sorry Nicole I just thought Rebel Yell was a bit more interesting for learning on guitar
I has been a bit of a rough ride getting this done as our gorgeous puppy (I say puppy but she was 14 & a half years old and been blind for half her life) had to be put down the other day which was horrendously sad and then both Shelley & I got covid again after only just recently having it. But doing this project really brightened up my day and I thoroughly enjoyed the process, so thank you @Helen0609 for suggesting it as I doubt I would have ever tackled this otherwise
In terms of the arrangement, it was as follows:
- 4 guitar tracks: 3 using my Solar SB1.6FOB & 1 using my Solar GC1.6FAB (which I forgot to record video of damn it! ) straight into my Katana Artist with a preset I sourced called “Panama Lick” (to replicate a EVH type tone I guess?).
- 5 (yes 5! ) vocal tracks recorded with my Shure SM58 into a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic (thanks again to @Richard_close2u & @DavidP that put me on to this pedal ). Settings were: Echo ~50% on Slap; Reverb ~50% on Club; Correction ~75% (I need plenty of that! ). 5 tracks might have been a bit over the top, but I like how it sounded as it gave a sort of additional slap back echo that worked for me.
- Drums and bass guitar were programmed (not by me, I sourced them) and pulled from Guitar Pro as a .wav file.
- Audio editing/rendering done in Reaper (no FX on guitar or vocals were added in there though).
- Video recording done with OBS and edited in DaVinci Resolve.
I didn’t know anything (and still don’t know much! ) about Billy Idol’s guitarist, Steve Stevens (awesome name btw! ) who helped write this song. But found it really interesting to see he used a ray gun to produce an effect on the guitar whilst doing the solo! That’s pretty rad! Wish I’d known that in the 80s as a kid, he would’ve been my hero!
I didn’t attempt the solo at all (unsurprisingly! ) and I didn’t have a whammy bar on either guitar to replicate the effect after the first chorus, but I improvised by doing a harmonic then bending the string behind the nut and found that work okay (and is super fun! ). Also, I tried, but failed to do the hybrid picking for the intro riff, I could only get it to about half/three quarter speed, so dropped it for sake of time. (It’s also used on the outro riff but I skipped that).
A note about the lyrics. I google them and got this (hopefully that link works the same for you as it does for me). These lyrics are slightly different than the version I was familiar with, but I dug the darker nature of them so ran with it. BUT they are slightly more explicit in a couple of places so, although I blanked it, I should put an explicit lyrics warning Not sure why they are different? Maybe that was the original version then they got changed for radio? Don’t know but it’s what I went with anyway
I think that’s about it for now. Thanks for watching!! Feedback/comments/advice always welcomed and much appreciated