Blackbird by The Beatles Lesson

Learn to play Blackbird by The Beatles on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Blackbird by The Beatles | JustinGuitar

1 Like

Do many newish players find it difficult to keep with a metronome on a song such as this where bars are split between 1/8 notes for some bars and any combinations of 1/8 and 1/16th notes in others.

I find I am either rushing the ‘1 + 2 +’ bars or getting behind on the ‘1 + 2 e +’ bars.

Hi @John_in_Dot
The remedy is a time-honoured one.
Slow right down and get it properly right at a reduced tempo.
It is good advice in so many situations - and this is one such.
With a metronome however, you need to know / notice that it fluctuates between bars of 3/4 and bars of 2/4.
Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

AGAIN terrific lesson thank you

Paul McCartney actually anchors his pinky which I believe makes this easier.

@Richard_close2u , I have a question about the 6th bar in the tab. It shows the first beat as two 16ths followed by an 8th note. But in every other measure the pattern begins with an 8th note followed by two 16ths. Is this a typo in this measure? I looked at the lesson a number of times and I don’t see what’s in the tab (and is makes it hard to do the index finger flickie thing!).

Thx
Ron

That is an eagle-eyed spot @RonZ
Thanks - I have passed it on to the team.
Cheers
:slight_smile: Richard

Found this video if anybody wants to get a really good look at Paul’s fingerpicking, which is pretty much exactly as Justin says: Paul McCartney ~ Blackbird 1991 (w/subtitles) [HQ] - YouTube

1 Like

No chords. Maybe a bug…

I have a question, in the second riff when we play chord A7 we don’t pluck the third string, so why do we need to hold the whole chord, when we can just hold the fifth string with 1 finger and it will do the same sound? It isn’t very clear for me.

I think that, if in the little down strum, you accidentally whack the open D string, it may sound funny.

I’ll test it out tonight when I practice.