Blues as a beginner

Hey, I am a beginner with over 2 months of experience and I finished the grade 1 a month ago. My passion for guitar is because of blues music. I have jumped directly to the module on blues that Justin has on grade 2 since I was feeling like the other modules were not making me have much fun and I honestly feel like I could make more progress on my goal: playing blues songs and being able to improvise by having a great vocabulary and dexterity on blues. I am really excited about “before you accuse me” lesson and have not only learned the shuffle riff and 12 bar blues variations in any key but learned the intro and some of the licks Justin plays in between, and I think I’m doing it well at least for me and my ears hehe. Anyways I am enjoying it! I wanted to ask for advice on what to do to accelerate my learning in blues and guitar overall and would like to know if it is smart to redesign the practice routine /course study to a more specific blues one on Justin web. Thank you

1 Like

Hi Alejandro,
Welcome to this awesome community :slight_smile:
It’s great that you have set a clear goal for yourself in the learning process; now you know exactly where you’re going and what you want to achieve. The rest will come as time passes, and I’m pretty sure you’ll succeed.
Yes, blues is a great and vastly influential style in modern music. As regards the practice routine, I think the optimum approach in your case would be to continue learning the basics (licks, riffs, different chords applicable to blues and variations of the 12-bar blues) along with playing songs that you like.
Anyway, all the best in your endeavouring,

Hi Alejandro and welcome to the Community.
Great to hear you’re enjoying your guitar and have identified the path you want to follow.
I do think however it’s important to have solid foundations in all the basics no matter what style of play you want to follow and for that reason I’d suggest following Justin’s course as laid out. He does after all have a wealth of experience as a guitar tutor. You can of course add in some extra blues stuff from his various blues lessons.
Also why not post a video of yourself playing ‘before you accuse me’ in the AVoYP section of the site. That way you’ll get useful feedback on your progress so far.

Hi Alejandro,

Welcome here and I swish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

Wanting to play the blues also starts with the basics (beginner grades) on guitar, be sure to watch the blues lessons in the meantime and play a little if you really really can not wait worseyou would even stop playing of course than listen and sleep and start eating the blues…
but please don’t forget to lay down a good foundation for the best results …

Fun and keep playing is of course the most important thing and if the exercises really bother you in grade 2, don’t dwell on it for too long, but take a look and try it, you will reap the benefits of this for the rest of your guitar life :smiley:

Greetings,Rogier

Hi Alejandro,

I’m on Grade 1, but have played guitar a little bit before, so most of the stuff so far have been very familiar to me. But I also want to improve my technique, so plowing through those excersizes as well.

What I do to keep things interesting is that I’ve made me 4-5 different practice routines. One with what the course schedule recommends, one with techniques I have to improve on, one with songs and one where there are some ear training, singing training and scales found outside the regular schedule of the course. None of these are set in stone and I do mix up those those a bit every time. Then I practise one routine each time I pick up the guitar. Keeps me interested and as well grounded on studying also the less interesting stuff.

That’s my way not to skip anything but also having a bit of freedom how to use this site. To each his/her own, I guess.