Blues Etude - 12 Bars, 12 Techniques

Came across this great little blues ‘etude’ lesson in one of my supplementary online environments. Not sure if Justin coined the phrase, but it’s the first place I heard it, and it’s a good description of these types of lessons.
Anyway, love these etudes, as they’re almost always packed with a lot of good stuff to learn, to put in your back pocket, to modify, and use elsewhere.
As the name suggests, this one is 12 bars, 12 techniques.
ie each bar showcases a specific blues concept or technique - from simple bending, to major/minor blue notes, chromatics, the I-IV rhythm, double stops, 3rds, 4ths, sliding 6ths, and to the jazz chord ending etc.
So it also acts a great little reference tool too for those like me who’ve been steadily building some blues foundations, and are looking to expand their toolkit.
Plus, these are alot of fun to play. Here’s a run through below at where I’m at with it.

Cheers, Shane.

15 Likes

What a nice recording. I always enjoy listening to some well played Blues :blush:. Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

Thanks for the listen Nicole. These etude type lessons are great value, pack alot into them, and are usually pretty fun to learn.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

I can listen to this all day!
Lovely guitar playing, and demonstrated techniques.
I enjoyed this!

Much appreciated Rene. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers, Shane.

Hi Shane, I follow your posts as I’m planning to set a focus on blues and it’s interesting to see, how you progress with time. Enjoyd watching this excercise, the etude type lessons seem to be very useful. Liked your playing. Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate those progress videos, interesting to see, how others handle things while building up their blues foundation.

1 Like

That was coooool!! :sunglasses:
Loved your playing and tone, sounded great! :star_struck:

1 Like

Love your tone. And great playing! Well done!

1 Like

Too cool for school :sunglasses:

Great playing Shane! Techniques mastered.

1 Like

Hi Shane,
:sunglasses:
I’m going to get back to practicing what I’ve seen here, specifically the chord part endings(? how to call that :smile:)…nice playing :sunglasses:
Greetings

Thanks JK. Wouldnt say mastered, but on my way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hey Roger,

Thanks mate.
Yep, those jazz type chord endings can make some ptetty cool sounds I reckon.
The two chord ending in this etude is pretty cool, in theory, as the G#/Ab note is a 7th of both chords, but it stays put, and the other notes step down around it, changing it effectively from a m7 to maj7.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Sounding great :clap: a fantastic groove and very well played :v:

Some sweet sounding blues there Shane. Really loved the groove you had going on. It’s always a pleasure to watch/listen to what you are putting out there.