Blues Songs For Beginners

Check out these Blues songs for beginners. Loads of songs you can play with the 12 bar blues progression!

View the full lesson at Blues Songs For Beginners | JustinGuitar

Hey Justin and Team, just wanted to say that I’m really enjoying the playlist on this lesson! There’s a bunch of stuff on here I haven’t heard before that’s really inspiring, I think these playlists are an awesome idea.

1 Like

The songs in this list that do have lessons are all much higher grades. Is the idea with practice just to jam along with them with the chord progressions?

2 Likes

I’ve got a feeling like I’m missing something. It feels like all of these songs are way to hard for me to play along to. Maybe I’m not getting it or Justin went a bit to quick with this module but I’m not really sure how I should play along. “Move it to a key you’d like!” Doesn’t really click with me.

2 Likes

Sam, did you see my reply here:

2 Likes

Yes. Keep it simple, get used to the different types of progression and have fun with them.

2 Likes

Yep, thanks David!

2 Likes

@jkahn and @Harry_Seaside

Check what Justin writes in the content:

I suggest finding a tune or two that you dig and working on them in whatever key you like. Try a few and explore them on your guitar! … Listen to the original blues records before trying them out - you’ll want to understand the feel & groove of the song. And you’ll learn faster by going for it - making mistakes and learning on the way. This is how you’ll develop your skills and sense of blues.

In other words, grab the inspiration, get the vibe, then play something that is a 12-bar based on what you like in a key you feel comfortable with. You are not meant to play along with the originals necessarily - especially given that some are difficult overall and / or in awkward keys.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

3 Likes

I skipped Power Chords too. I debated for a week but I just don’t like the sound at all and it was making me not want to practice. Feels good that I’m not the only one. I figure I can always go back and learn them later if I end up wanting them, and it’s important to keep enjoying playing.

2 Likes

I have gone from hating the blues, to loving the blues but only if there is no singing :grimacing:

Does anybody have any good suggestions of great blues music without any lyrics? Coming across some great stuff on Spotify but wondered if you had any favourites. :grin:

1 Like

@virtualm You’ll eventually love the singing, too :slight_smile:

But in the meantime, check out Freddie King’s Let’s Dance Away And Hide Away – one of the best blues albums ever, that happens to have only instrumentals (if I remember correctly).

4 Likes

Loads here Emma and a lot of the tracks are 10 minutes long. Great to jam with or noodle over. I would suggest Seductive Blues Ballads to begin with as they are slow tempo wise. There are some nice bluey tracks in the Atmospheric section as well. For that extra bit and crunch and a little higher tempo Filthy Blues Rock. Something for everyone and my starter for exploring how and where to play new licks. And not a singer in sight ! Made for you.
:sunglasses:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ElevatedJamTracks/playlists

3 Likes

@VirtualM look up Justin Johnson on youtube for insperation. He plays acoustic and electric blue no singing. REAL BLUES No. 3 • Fingerstyle Blues on Maton EA80C Acoustic Guitar - YouTube

3 Likes

No specific suggestions, so I had to phone a friend who said try The Great Blues Instrumentals - playlist by Playlist Giants | Spotify

I recognise nearly all the artists and reading the playlist makes my ears salivate (I know, a messy mixed metaphor) almost to the point to sign-up on Spotify.

Better idea … check with another friend and am now enjoying Instrumental Blues - A two hour long compilation - YouTube

4 Likes

That’s fabulous thank you. I have subscribed to it and will go and give it a look.

2 Likes

Wow, that gives me a lot to listen to and I have Spotify. It’s well worth signing up, I love it.

2 Likes

I have already downloaded loads of his stuff. I really love his Ghost of the Mountain, so far he is my favourite.

2 Likes

This lesson is awesome. Really clicked with me and I am looking forward to practice every song on this list. Sadly I have to agree, that power chords lesson was different story. I didnt skip the lesson, learned basics, but the lesson was for me so demotivating and imagining practising rock stuff didnt excite me at all - which is completely normal, everyone has different style, so I am happy I found myself here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@helmut132

That’s good that you never skipped the power chord lesson and made sure that you learned the basics. As you mention the blues lesson really clicked with you, and those power chords you’ve worked on learning will become useful. I’m just getting into the blues myself and have seen a few videos where power chords are used for 12 bar blues and blues riffs.

2 Likes

Reference Justins suggestions for starting 12BB. In his blues shuffle lesson he shows how to play the 12BB using A (open 5th and 2nd fret on 4th), D (open 4th and 2nd fret on 3rd string) and E (ooen 6th and 2nd fret on 5th string).
One of the songs he suggests is ‘Before you accuse me’ by Eric Clapton which is included in the beginner song app. However, the chords shown in the app are A, E and B7. If I’m trying to practice the blues shuffle should I be playing the two string chords or the full open chords? If just two string chords what would the strings and fingering be for B7?

2 Likes