Blues- That 6th Trick

I know 6th Trick gives a lot of people fits, but it’s a fun one to mess around with. This is the first time I’ve recorded with my guitar plugged into the interface. I’m still getting used to listening to the guitar with headphones.

I’m still working on my finger control and accuracy. I also want to get better control over the dynamics. I think some of it will come as I build confidence. I still kind of freak out when the camera is on. Advice is welcome though. I was going to try to work it all out before posting, but then I realized I’m always chasing a moving target. I’ve had the basic lick down for a while, but then I decided to change the way I was playing the turnaround. I also changed the ending and then forgot how to play it. :rofl:

10 Likes

fun isn’t it. I’m getting a bit of use on these recently too.

1 Like

If you constantly record yourself nerves will get much better. Just delete videos right after. Don’t even watch them. the practice in front of the camera helps.

1 Like

Donna great to see you are nailing down the 6th trick, well done! As Jason said the more you record yourself even for self critique the better it will be to perform in front of the camera and the red light syndrome will still be there, but it will be a very small dot somewhere in the background rather than a blinding light in front of your face :grinning: all the best and keep at it!

1 Like

Sounding good and making progress, Donna. I think you have that muted bass note nailed, and doing well moving up and down the neck. Keep at it. One gets more and more relaxed as one records more, and remember pursuit of perfection is the enemy of being relaxed.

1 Like

Sounding good, Donna, you’re well on the way. I definitely agree with your thoughts on confidence, the more confident you feel the more that will translate into your playing. As to which comes first, the confidence or the technique, I think you work on both :slightly_smiling_face:

I figured by the title of your post that there must be a Justin lesson for this, and I see there is. That’s on my list to check out now!

1 Like

Sorry, I think I put my reply in the wrong place, the first time.
I hear you, @JasonBuk, @adi_mrok, @DavidP: got to start recording on a more regular basis. I appreciate y’all taking time to watch and comment. @bblak, @Mari63, it’s definitely a fun "trick, and it’s worth taking time to go through the lesson thoroughly. I think there are some interesting lessons in harmony and chromatic steps which we can use for building our improv toolkit. At least that’s my plan. :blush:

Great plan. I’m familiar with this sound for a long time but never had a name for it. For me, I’m running the 6ths over 12 frets too but as I’m doing it I’m imagining every scale shape/form where the 2 note pattern fits. It’s hard work for sure but already paying off.

Moving forward, this technique is like so many others that sounds great and even better in small bites. This is where knowing the scale shapes comes in, showing me a mental image of a quick 6th run in the mix without getting lost!

I saw this in action in the Breathe lesson, check it out just to xseex hear it used brilliantly. cheers

link: https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/pink-floyd-breathe-in-the-air-electric-guitar-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-sg-006

1 Like

That’s great Donna - it’s a really useful trick to have in your repertoire! One thing I try to do is see which pair of notes in the “standard” chord shapes make up a 6th between them, then everytime I play that chord, I have the option of twiddling up the fretboard using that trick. I guess that’s pretty much what Brian said in the previous post.

Doing the 6th thing on the G and top E string gives the best sound.

2 Likes

Hi Donna, that seems so difficult to play all over the neck :see_no_evil: It sounds cool, but I’m unable to give technical feedback as I never tried any blues :blush:

It surely will :sweat_smile::hugs:

1 Like

Haha, one reason I posted the video is because I’m not fully clear on the theory here either. I’m soaking up everyone’s comments, hoping I can glean a better understanding. Thanks for watching! :sunglasses:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :sunglasses: :blush:

Sounding good. You’re making great progress. As others have said the more you sit in front of the camera the more comfortable it becomes. I’ll have to add that 6th trick to my list of things to explore when I’m further down the learning path.

1 Like

I think you are doing great! It inspires me to se you play. I love when people fight against their goals. Keep up the spirit, you are a star and what what music should be to everyone.

1 Like

I checked out the lesson. That’s a really cool sound! I even learned the pattern for using the 6ths here. He lost me when he explained “why” we’re using the D scale over the A7 though. :thinking:

1 Like

The A7 is a dominant chord and there is only one in the harmonized major scale using 7th chords. Triads with one more 3rd note stacked on top, so 4 note chords.

The 5th scale note as root builds the A7. A is the 5th note of the D major scale.

D E F# G A B C#
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

(typeset spacing shifts alignment above)

Any time you see a dominant chord you know what the major scale is where it is naturally found.

2 Likes

Sounding good Donna. I can only echo what others have said about being nervous whilst recording yourself.

1 Like