Bonamassa Says He Has No Legato

I canā€™t do hammer-ons and pull-offs worth a damn. Iā€™ve given up on them. Now, in my case, itā€™s just one of dozens of things I canā€™t do on guitar, but itā€™s interesting to hear someone as good as Bonamassa say he canā€™t do it either.

3 Likes

I suspect Joeā€™s weak spot is somewhere beyond my strong game

6 Likes

Well, that is a most surprising revelation. I assumed any guitarist, intermediate onwards, had legato skills of some reasonable sort.
And particularly with Joeā€™s blues/ rock playing.
I couldnt imagine continuing to develop without this skill.
Obviously I was wrong.
Now, Iā€™m off to watch every Bonamassa clip online to check this out :sunglasses:.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

He has a bajillion classic guitars and amps, he doesnā€™t need legato.

1 Like

Some guitarists have such incredible fast picking technique that they donā€™t need or prefer not to use legato. Guitarists that come to mind are Michael Angelo Batio, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola. Frank Gambale also looks like a guitarist who picks every note.

Iā€™m pretty surprised to read that and I simply canā€™t believe, he has ā€œzeroā€ ability to play legato. I guess his legato might be a weak spot on HIS level, in HIS eyes, maybe also compared to others in his league. A player of his calibre? Maybe heā€™s only avoiding it, because he feels that itā€™s his weakest point and obviously he is able to compensate this by using a optimized picking style?

If only we all were as bad at guitar as Joeā€¦

5 Likes

He has no leg(a)to stand on!
Time for me to hammer on and pull off. Sighā€¦ :roll_eyes: :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi Joe B ,
I know youā€™re reading along. Have fun :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

Joe does have some legato, but as pointed out, he probably assumes that his ā€˜badā€™ legato is something we would all dream of.

Check out the live version of ā€˜Mindā€™s Eyeā€™

The intro is largely composed of hammer-ons.
3rd string 10th fret hammer 12th, 2nd string 10th fret hammer 12th slide 10th etc etc.

Itā€™s actually a nice little lick to learn - itā€™s some relatively simple hammers around the 12th fret, then slides up to the 3rd fret for some more hammers and down to the 7th fret.
As it repeats 4 times (6 with a couple of more trickys bits in the live version) it isa nice one to get a hold of.