Boss GT 1 patches volume

Hi all.
With my set up I can play the songs/backing tracks directly into the Katana amp but any effects set on the amp is applied to every imput, backing track/song and guitar.
So I bought a Boss GT 1 so the amp is “clean” and the effects on guitar only. Works great except… every patch seems to have a different volume setting.
Patches I create I can set the volume when writing.
I wondered if anyone knows a way of leveling the factory preloaded patches as a batch? Setting the volume on 99 patches individually is painfully slow and not very accurate when playing over a “set” volume on amp.
Even using volume on guitar for each patch sometimes goes beyond volume range.
Sorry for being long winded.
Cheers.
Mike

No easy route unfortunately and in all honesty it’s the same with virtually every multifx or even physical pedal setup you use. If you think about it the overall volume is dictated by each pedal in the chain with some increasing perceived volume and others potentially reducing it… you basically need to go through the patches you use (and you certainly shouldn’t be using 99) and level them yourself.

In terms of leveling I would take your first patch and get it at the volume you want then use this as the reference for the others. So set the first then switch to the second, adjust the vol on the second, strum a chord, switch back to the first and strum again to check level. Alternatively you could connect to a DAW and use the loudness/vol meter on one of the tracks to level as well.

1 Like

Hi Rossco01.
Thank you for your help.
I definatly wont be using all 99 :smiley:.
The preset ones have several that are good the rest still finding out about. Unfortunatly the factory patches cannot be over wriiten or deleted. ( at least I’ve not found out how yet ) . It’s not a major annoyance just me being me.
cheers
Mike

Majik is replying so he may have some suggestions as a long term GT1 user. You have the user bank for your own presets.

I’m assuming you have some sort of looper plugged into the front of the amp?

No, but I would suggest you probably are not going to use all 99 presets anyway. I have a GT-1 (along with some other MFX systems) and, in the several years I have had it, I have really only used a handful (less than 10) of the factory presets for anything other than seeing what the preset does.

The trick is to build your own user patch library, copying across any of the factory presets you want (in my case I ended up using about three of them) and then:

• use the Boss Tone Studio (BTS) Library function to pull in other useful patches from Boss Tone Central
  • download interesting patches from Boss Tone Exchange and add them to your library with BTS
  • Create your own patches from scratch, according to your needs

You can then build up Livesets within BTS Library.

The nice thing about this is that all your patches are in one group so you don’t have to scroll around, and you can set the patch levels and any other tweaks you need as appropriate. For instance, on a lot of the factory patches, the CTL pedal kicks in a boost or distortion. This is normally on a toggle. I sometimes change this to a momentary action.

I have a liveset on my GT-1 which I use for the Jam sessions I go to which has convenient song-specific settings for songs we are try to do. A lot of these are, basically, the same patch but with tweaks, such as higher gain, a specific effect, or a change to the CTL and expression pedal assignment.

I also have a handful of more generic patches for general use. I think I have less than 15 patches in total.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

By the way, another hint is to create a user patch with nothing turned on. I have this and call it “BYPASS” so that I can always just rely on the amp’s tones without anything else.

This is what my BTS currently looks like:

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Mike,

I have a Spark and Helix. I do the equivalent for each of those that Majik outlined for your GT1.

What is going on is the models are trying to be accurate, so gain differences in the real thing will show up in your modeler output.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for the helpful tips.
I’m still finding my way around the GT 1 so this will save me trying to do something which is largely pointless.
Thank you both for your replys.
Cheers
Mike

Jumping in here just to say that I agree with the suggestions - build your own library.

The preset (Pnn) patches are not user-editable, but my GT-1 came loaded such that every user patch was an exact copy of the corresponding factory preset, so U01 was the same as P01, and so one. And the “user ones” are fully editable.

The problem is (in my view) most of the factory presets are too gimmicky to be useful, with too much reverb, delay, etc. What I ended-up doing was using Tone Studio do clean-up the user preset area and slowly build it with a list of the ones that made sense to me - I guess I have about 5 so far, with 2 being the ones I use almost all the time.

There are many advantages of doing this on Tone Studio, the interface is easier to use, and you can save a copy of your library as a backup, in case something happened to your GT-1

2 Likes

THIS!

It might be worth checking out some tutorials, like this one:

Also, it’s really worth getting to know Boss Tone Studio (especially as a lot of it applies to the Katana and other Boss products as well), especially the Librarian function and the ability to build, import and export live sets.

At the moment, my GT-1 lives under my desk and is almost always USB connected to my laptop so I can use it as an audio interface, but this also allows me to jump into Tone Studio and make tweaks (although, in my case, I currently have to reboot into Windows to do that).

I concur.

It’s possible to use the front panel to build patches and make tweaks but, IMO, it’s so much easier with the Tone Studio.

One thing I’ve not really played with that much on the unit itself is “Easy Edit”, but that’s because I usually have a specific thing in mind when I’m creating patches, often based on one of the more basic factory patches with a couple of tweaks.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like