Boys just wanna have fun

Hey, you can’t just drop that and not elaborate! How are we s’posed to know what to avoid (or not? :wink:)

Just realised that could be open to misinterpretation.
I’m referring of course to Mr. Blackmore, not the possible nodding off of Mr. Preece :laughing:

1 Like

That was a bit of tasty tinkling David.

Well beyond me to comment on the technicals but it sounded sweet to my ear.

Glad to see you back with a guitar in your hand and I hope your Covid symptoms are soon gone.

1 Like

Hey David, I just browsed my way to this video of yours from one of the comments that you left on mine.

Firstly, sorry to hear about your recent covid experience. This nasty thing just keeps hanging around.

Secondly, I think you must’ve just been pulling my leg on the Sleep Walk thread… because this stuff here seems very natural and silky smooth :slight_smile: Awesome stuff

1 Like

@brianlarsen
It was the DP one Black night :joy:
But here’s a few more :joy:, courtesy of my new girlfriend…… :fire:

1 Like

@DarrellW @batwoman @Rod58 @brianlarsen @SgtColon @Dro_1

So appreciative of all of you for taking time to watch and listen to a noodle and for the positive, complimentary, and encouraging comments, and a couple more laughs, which is always good.

A few specifics replies, where I think more is appropriate …

@DarrellW , I noticed that Black Night was not on your new girlfriend’s list of 15 forbidden riffs and licks. I was contemplating a little SOTW as an addition since I use it as part of my bending practice, but thought didn’t become action.

The other thing I noticed … don’t hate me folks, just my personal opinion … was that a number of the riffs sounded pretty similar in concept and tone, specifically I’d say Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, maybe some others I’m forgetting after listening this morning. Now I know that I have not listened to those bands, other than the Metallica Black album, so my ears are not finely tuned. But I’d not be able to tell one from the other just based on the riffs and tone, might think they were all Metallica. In contrast, there’d be know mistaking Purple for Zeppelin, Zepellin for Sabbath, at least not based on my listening.

@batwoman , I’ll have me a large slice of that tart, looks delicious. And as a single player it is good to play the field … right?

@Dro_1 I know we chatted a little more over on your post. I think I am doing OK, happy with progress, on the improv/lead play, the strumming or simple finger-picking and singing (providing the songs relatively unchallenging from a singing perspective), and dare I say it (self praise is faint praise, or something) pleased with my few original productions. Where it all gets tricky is blending chords and single notes, switching between strumming and picking. And I’m OK with that, I plug away at that for some songs and the more I do the less awkward that will become.

:joy: new girlfriend…… as if!
Yes I agree completely what you say, in fact I have always said that you have a fixed number of notes and octaves that you can play them in, it’s knowing how to mix them up to best effect! Also there’s only so many ways of mixing them; it’s inevitable that there’s going to be a degree of similarity particularly in the same genres.

:rofl: now you’ve set me off again David

@DarrellW

But I know what you meant.

I shan’t be subscribing and exploring her talents, despite the entertainment value of the video you shared (take note @batwoman)

I hear you on the fundamental limitation of 12 notes, though when you throw in note length and rests, rhythms and tempo, tone, and perhaps most importantly the players technique and style, the scope for individual expression and creativity becomes vast … I shan’t do the maths, that is beyond me.

So I would suggest that certain genres may have a tendency to have a more particular signature sound than others, with guitarists who sound more alike, than in others.

And without doubt, much of one’s impression will depend on the music you listened to in your formative years, your taste and deeper listening, and personal taste.

So for me all those metal riffs could have been played by the same band and guitarist.

Not making a judgement, just an observation.

@batwoman

Yeah, I had a think a little to treat your tart to the kind of response it deserved; glad I found the sweet spot :grin:

1 Like

Absolutely, there are some exceptions though!

Thanks for that, Darrell.

I had to Google to discover that Jinjer is classed as a metalcore band. That term was new to me and I have not kept up to date with the evolution from the hard and heavy rock bands of the 70s/80s to the various flavours of metal.

I quite liked the quieter portions, the verses of the song, but the vocal in the chorus is really not my thing. I suppose that is the evolution of the screams of the vocalists of the 70s/80s. The heavier riffs were pretty cool … as you say did not sound like anything from the sample of 15 forbidden riffs.

But no guitar solo …

Hi David,
it’s great to see your video again.
and you’ve chosen a great way to beat the May afterglow melancholy!
I really hope that everything will be fine with you :slightly_smiling_face:
keep on moving,
Leo

@crocodile1
Thanks Leo, appreciate you taking a look and the encouragement.

My health is now good, thanks.

And, yes, the tortoise keeps on walking the path :grin:

Good job David, I’m glad that you are already feeling well after Covid, I know well how difficult and long it takes to recover afterwards. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself
Good luck to you!

Mike

1 Like

@MikeSebastianP
Thanks, Mike. I am feeling good now and getting properly back into playing. Appreciate your support and encouragement.

Hi David,
Nice stroll down lead play lane… Tone is good to my ears as is the play mostly. I maybe heard an off bend, but I think over your last offering there is good improvement here.

Keep up the good vibe and all the best!
LB

@LBro

Thanks, LBro, most happy to hear that you can hear improvement, that for me is most important thing. I’d imagine that more likely than maybe hearing an off pitch bend, you may have heard the odd on pitch bend amongst all that were likely a little off :grin:

1 Like

Hi David,

Nice tone - fits well over that low synthy G5 drone. Really nice tension.

As for noodles - isn’t chicken noodle soup meant to be a cure all - even for Covid? :slight_smile:

Digger

@Digger72

Thanks Digger, appreciate the listen and cool comment. Good to hear the drone worked well, did that mainly to avoid having to ‘play changes’, keeping it as simple as can be.

Chicken noodle soup … the ultimate medicine, and nothing like a noodling session to raise the spirits :grin:

Hi David, nice noodle. Sometimes just a break is needed and playing freely without further intent is refreshing. As others have said the backing track suited well. Good you have recovered from that trouble maker bug. I have not had it yet but my sister had it and it was not fun for her (she is now back to normal). I am still taking my COVID-19 precautions, but I know is just a probability thing of getting it.

1 Like

Not sure why I haven’t seen this one before! Some nice noodling there David! I enjoyed the adventure around the fretboard. Some really nice bends, slides and vibrato going on to, and some cool little phrases. Nice one!

1 Like