Breathe In The Air (Electric Guitar) by Pink Floyd Lesson

Learn to play Breathe In The Air (Electric Guitar) by Pink Floyd on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Breathe In The Air (Electric Guitar) by Pink Floyd | JustinGuitar

Hi Justin, really enjoying learning this in what is of course the 50th anniversary year for Dark Side of the Moon!

1 Like

Great lesson, Justin, Thanks.
I’m trying to learn about modes at the moment. What key is this in? Is it in E Dorian? If so, why does F and Dm appear when the E Dorian/D major scales have Fm and D in them?

1 Like

Hello @AndyDowns and welcome to the community.

The main verse section throughout is modal (using E Dorian). It bounces between the tonic Em chord (it is extended to Emadd9) and the IV chord A (it is extended to A7).

The chorus changes things slightly and the progression becomes (as simplified triads, not extensions):

C β†’ Bm β†’ F–> G β†’ D

Not so simple as you have found.

Think of the entire song as being mainly in E minor keys (plural).

There are three such: E Aeolian (the natural minor) plus E Dorian plus E Phrygian.

E Aeolian is the relative minor to G major and we will look at it first.

Chords of E Aeolian:

Em, Fdim, G, Am, Bm, C, D

Chords of E Dorian:

Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, C#dim, D

Chords of E Phrygian:

Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C, Dm

Only Dorian has E minor and A major chords so the verse is E Dorian.
Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, C#dim, D

For the chorus we need to match five chords. E Aeolian has four of them but the Fdim doesn’t match. E Dorian only has three (F#m and C#dim do not match). E Phrygian has four (the Dm doesn’t match).

The only conclusion is that we have a progression that is not wholly diatonic.
It can be viewed in three ways (due to the three minor modes.

[1]
E Aeolian with a borrowed F major chord.

C β†’ Bm β†’ F β†’ G β†’ D = VI β†’ v β†’ bII β†’ III β†’ VII

[2]
E Dorian with a borrowed F major chord and borrowed C major chord).

C β†’ Bm β†’ F β†’ G β†’ D = bVI β†’ v β†’ bII β†’ III β†’ VII

[3]
E Phrygian with a borrowed D major chord.

C β†’ Bm β†’ F–> G β†’ D = VI β†’ v β†’ II β†’ III β†’ VII

You may wonder at this because the chorus does not contain the E minor chord at all. If that is troublesome then it may be worth considering that the tonal centre has shifted and all this analysis of E minor type keys is a dead end.

If so, what clues can we make use of?

The chorus begins with Cmaj7. In extended form, the only major chords that become maj7 are the I chord or the IV chord. That implies the keys of either C major or G major.
The chorus ends with a D7 (an extended D7 with notes added). In extended form, the only major chord that becomes dominant 7 is the V chord. That implies the key of G major.

Mmh. Interesting. The key of G major is the relative to the key of E minor.
Perhaps the overall feel of E minor has made a little swicth from being minor-ish in the verses (Dorian) to being major-ish in the chorus.

That would mean we can use option [1] from above but switch it around to be viewed from the perspective of G major (G Ionian), not E Aeolian.

E Aeolian with a borrowed F major chord.

C β†’ Bm β†’ F β†’ G β†’ D = VI β†’ v β†’ II β†’ III β†’ VII

becomes …

G major (G Ionian) with a borrowed F chord.

C β†’ Bm β†’ F β†’ G β†’ D = IV β†’ iii β†’ II β†’ bVII β†’ VII

Does that help?

Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

It helps my mind spin….

Hi Richard,

Erm, err, well, firstly thank you for your prompt and thorough answer to my question.
I kinda expected the answer to be a bit complicated, but… :astonished::joy:
It has definitely helped and I will use it as a reference as I navigate through modes and scales. I am a total novice when it comes to modes and this is probably a bit beyond me at the moment. I think it is going to be something I digest over a period of time.
The explanation must have taken some time to put together and I appreciate the effort you have put into it. I need to continue studying the subject and applying it to my playing.

Again, thanks for your reply.:+1::pray:

1 Like

Haha … you asked a modal question and I gave a modal answer.

Okay, put simply, if you want to understand the key of the chord progression just think E minor in the verse changing to the relative G major in the chorus.
If you want to noodle some improvisation over the top you’re good with E minor pentatonic throughout.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Justin, I’m choosing this as my trial period first lesson having just occasionally looked from the wings. It would be great if the chord shapes were available maybe as a single sheet. Is there any good software I can use to create my own?

@chris_santavy

Welcome to the community Chris. If your looking for software to create fretboard diagrams then check out https://www.neckdiagrams.com/