Brian Larsen - July 2022 - Evelyn, Evelyn (Amanda Palmer & Jason Webley) + First We Take Manhattan (Leonard Cohen) + Strange Life (Firewater) + Did You See Him Cry (Pavlov's Dog)

That was as entertaining as always, Brian. Your ability to sing and play with feeling always leaves me feeling wishful … you make it looks so natural and easy.

I figure the Trio kicked in with the strumming. On this setup I wasn’t hearing the Trio drummer well enough for it to feel like it was part of the song versus a click track in the background that was just intruding enough to be overheard.

I also noticed no whammy flourish to end this one.

Ah, a Beatles tune per chance?

1 Like

The Beatles. Cheesy! How very dare you!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wondered who might take the bait and you were right up there among the most likely, Gordon :grin:

Funnily enough I was at a study group yesterday and someone was lamenting some of the super cheesy local ditties that get airplay and sales locally, the state of modern music. I had to remind him of Love Me Do. Though I would not be suggesting that it would count as over-the-top.

I better stop before you offer a reward for my head …

1 Like

@DavidP
Yes the early stuff was a bit ‘cheesy’. Boy meets girl, holds hands, loses girl etc etc. All very much written with the teenage girl fan base in mind at the time.

1 Like

And I think characteristic of a lot of the pop music of the 40s/50s/early 60s.

I recall Keith Richard’s talking about the music he listened to growing up, that his mother played. There was lots of jazz but also the pop: “I’m a blue tooth brush. You’re a pink tooth brush. We met by the bathroom door”

1 Like

Aha David. Max Bygraves. You might just have solved the mystery of Brian’s (@brianlarsen) next song.

2 Likes

Noooooooo don’t encourage him :scream: Next it will be You Need Hands :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I was thinking he would be performing next something more like this

1 Like

@Socio Quite sure Brian will find something both cheesier and more over-the-top, James :laughing:

2 Likes

Cheers for the listen and comment @DavidP :smiley:
I’m sure most of us look at (aspects of) others and think: oooh, I wish I could do that
… forgetting we ourselves are sometimes the targets of similar thoughts.

I see you’ve been baiting Gordon with Beatles-jibes
Shame on you :laughing:
It may have been a mistake to advertise gloom and cheesiness prematurely
I have selected some fab songs, but failed to take into account that it is largely the production of said numbers, which makes them stand out, and they are not readily reproducible by yours truly, esp. as the Trio+ struggles with slightly more complicated song structure… (Could that possibly mean I am making progress? :wink:)
This wonderful Community has given me the ability to even appreciate ‘Mad Bygraves frommage’, although @Socio is closer with his eclectic Prunes psych-fest.
On vera.

4 Likes