Brian Larsen - July 2022 - Evelyn, Evelyn (Amanda Palmer & Jason Webley) + First We Take Manhattan (Leonard Cohen) + Strange Life (Firewater) + Did You See Him Cry (Pavlov's Dog)

I was looking forward to participating in Saturday’s open mic, but had to travel to Ireland at short notice :frowning_face:
I decided to record what I had planned to perform anyway and am sharing it here, while all the other performers are still on their post-gig high and likely to be in less ‘critical’ mood :smiley:
Looked like a cracking evening.
I was with you in spirit if not online :wink:

plus …

Leonard Cohen - First We Take Manhattan

plus …

Firewater - Strange Life

plus …

Pavlov’s Dog - Did You See Him Cry?

plus …

16 Likes

Epic Brain ! Missed you bud. :heart_eyes:
But cannot take you serious with that syrup. :rofl:
Great stuff. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Born entertainer Brian and great story, thank you!
Such a shiny mop, it looks like you’ve just stepped out of a salon… :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re a born entertainer Brian. Where do you find such obscure songs. :grinning:

Loved the wig. Concerned if my someone catches me watching some bearded dude with a pink wig playing guitar and singing about conjoined twins they’re gonna think I’m into some weird s……

Ah, I don’t care what they would think anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Super good. You were missed on the day.

3 Likes

Cheers Toby, but I haven’t been taken seriously since I hung up my stethoscope in '98 :rofl:

Ya gets what ya pays for… I’m known to be a bit stingy :laughing:

@jkahn Ta for the listen and comments :smiley:

Haha, in your case it might be more generous than the usual :rofl:
Here’s the original if you want to go ‘weird’

4 Likes

Brilliant…now I’m going to listen to a guy with a pink wig…reverse order today :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Well Well Briana, :heart_eyes:
After seeing the original I regretted because I do read the text if you post it first, but I never look at an original the first day if I don’t know the song, and so I prepared myself for a possible slight disappointment :cold_sweat:… … Then came Pink Floyd??? :exploding_head: …and then an absolutely amazing performance :star_struck: :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:,I loved it on all levels…Bis,Bis Bis…
Thanks, Greetings and best regards to everyone in you… :grin:
Rogier

3 Likes

Delightful as always, Brian.

Loved the intro, now I’ll be waiting for a full rendition of In The Flesh.

Don’t take it amiss but am glad this was not one taken from that time when Amanda liked to perform in her birth day suit, the wig was more than enough.

Outstanding dynamics on both the vocal and guitar. And look at you whizzing up and down the fret board, E and A shape barre chords. Did you imagine it when you were regaling us with DEAD in the early days, speculating on how long you’d stick around. Just need a vigorous shake of the rhyth…wiggle stick at the end.

Ever so glad you’ve stuck around, life here would be the poorer without you.

3 Likes

Hi Brian, love the song , never heard it before , thanks for that. I also love fact that you are just being yourselves with no props or gimmick :grinning:.
Seriously I love the playful approach great entertainment

3 Likes

I knew there was someone missing… heck I couldn’t put my finger on it. Enjoyed this very much, and the wig is lovely and suits you so well :wink:

3 Likes

Talking in 3rd person. .yes

2 Likes

I was so mesmerized by his performance, I didn’t even notice his guitar

2 Likes

A rare occasion where the original is definitely more weird than the Brian cover.

You used to be a doctor?

1 Like

Yeah you have to worry about his patients !! :rofl:

2 Likes

Explains the :skull: in some of the videos perhaps :thinking:

1 Like

Funny watched Brain and had this niggling de je vue that I could not quite place until I watched this. Synapses are funny things and the glue that binds the even weirder. Guess I might need a Doctor. No recommendations pleeeeaaaase. For the love of me I cannot recall where I saw this before but see it I did as the ragtime ending is so so good and came flooding back. Weird ? I think these two are saner but I might be a little Mad !!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Very entertaining Brian, but I’m afraid it’s too avant-garde for me. I do however appreciate the skill that goes into it and the fun factor you create. Your guitar play and vocal were really great with some super dynamics and the whole package was, as I said, very entertaining.
But as for musicality it’s not my bag. Sorry.

2 Likes

Bravo Brian, shame you were not there to do it live. Great performance and comfortable with being weird. How do you find such off the wall music in the first place. Kudos for being able to turn a strange keyboard song into a strange guitar version. I think the wigs are there to distract us from whatever else you are up to.

Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Entertaining as always Brian. I too noticed you up and down the fret board with you barre shapes, very tasty.

Great singing and playing and always an interesting song.

You’re not from Lazy town are you?

3 Likes

That was one scary program !!

2 Likes