Brian Larsen - May 2022 - covers ... Electric City (Firewater) + Strange Days (The Doors) + Luhrstaap

Well of that’s the result of a trip to Berlin, suggest you set up a shuttle service. Can’t recall your previous cover and didn’t know the song but that mattered not a jot ! Hugely enjoyable little ditty, well played, phrased and sung. As Mr C was intimating you have come far and your performances are always a pleasure, so keep them coming.

I won’t mention the dust, as I had to give my steeds a good seeing to when I picked up last Thursday and saw what a mess they were in !! Call it character Mr Mop.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

That was brilliant Brian. I always enjoy the songs you pick as you are always introducing me to something new. Bravo!

1 Like

Hi Brian,
it’s a powerful song with serious lyrics.
And as always, your excellent driving performance.
Thanks.
Leo

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Haha, wouldn’t mind spending a bit more time there- the city suits me :smiley: I shall attempt to please :wink:

@SgtColon Thanks Stefan. I used to see myself as a bit of a ‘musical missionary man’ :laughing: Still some of those traits lingering…

@crocodile1 Cheers, Leo. Generous as always. I really enjoyed your last outing with Mike :smiley:

That was great Brian clearly Berlin served you well by the sound of your upload! Your rhytm is impeccable you really felt the song throughout which made it a solid performance. And considering your pickup DIY project the sound was actually very nice and one wouldn’t be able to tell it was added later on :wink: great work overall!

The Doors have been on my mind the last couple of days. Sandro (@Dro_1) recently posted a nice fingerstyle version of People are Strange and @TheMadman_tobyjenner’s missing mojo reminded me of Jim’s anagram, Mr. Mojo Risin’. I mentioned Strange Days on his thread and that led me to looking up chords and lyrics for the song on UG.
Well, less than 24 hours later, here’s the unpolished diamond.
Hehe, not signing up for the OM, means I don’t have to keep playing the same song! :rofl:
Strange days indeed…

7 Likes

Long time since I heard this but good to see you getting down and dirty here and there. Certainly a diamond but I dispute it being unpolished. You appear to be on a roll sir !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, what do I want to say here…
Brian, sometimes unpolished diamonds are very good :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi Brian,
That was a nice performance and certainly considering the speed with which you have prepared it and calling it a diamond in the rough I look forward to the day it is polished…nice distortion is in it …is that the guitar or the amp…or both? strange days,…where what how???
Greetings

1 Like

Good job, Brian. I enjoyed your earlier Doors reference and the anagram … now there’s a great song (LA Woman). I also think that their debut album is one of the all time great debuts. And Strange Days was a pretty good album as well. I don’t think there material is the easiest to pull off on solo guitar but with a little help from your Trio and amp you’ve delivered a fine rendition.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Cheers, mate! Dirt & rock is like peanut butter & jelly, chocolate & coffee… :wink:
@crocodile1 Thanks again, Leo :laughing:

@roger_holland Yes, I was kind of curious how quickly I could get a rough version down with this one. I’m using three different preset tones on my amp which I control with a wireless footswitch. I don’t use it that often and it often throws me :roll_eyes:

@DavidP Cheers man. I’m afraid most of my Doors listening was based on pirate cassette tape I bought in Madrid called Escenas extrañas dentro de la mina de oro :rofl: They had some cracking songs, although I never bought into the Morrison cult.

1 Like

Hey Brian. I’m only a newbie on this website, but I’m happy to have “opened the Doors” for you as you put it, haha.
The fun thing I find about this community is that people share and bounce ideas of each other… so it’s an honour to have been tagged as one of the reasons that you decided to try one of their other songs out. Nicely done by the way!

2 Likes

Not a bad compilation, Brian, but I reckon it is worth listening to some of the original albums … The Doors, Strange Days, Morrison Hotel, and LA Woman (OK that’s about half the entire discography).

The Doors was popular Friday post varsity music on the corridor I stayed on in the residence (hostel). And we’ll need talk about the rest of the late afternoon activity for which it was the soundtrack :grin:

1 Like

Haha, you have no idea :laughing:
Many of us have been ‘bounced’ into performing songs we had no intention of covering or even worse: press-ganged into collaborations with musicians far above our pay-grade :roll_eyes:
As you say though, it’s all good fun… and great experience :smiley:

1 Like

Well you certainly got the Doors vibe going with that one Brian. Great use of your footswitch to change tones at the ‘yeah’ bit. Loved that.
To use the diamond analogy you’ve displayed another facet of your ability there. To get a new song up and running so quickly is testament to your ever evolving skill set.

Despite not being a Doors expert, I’d heard that song before. Things are looking up with your repertoire. Before you know it folks will be calling you a populist! :wink:

ps. I’m intrigued as to what @DavidP got up to on a Friday afternoon.

1 Like

“YEAH!” You truly scared me! :scream: But the song was well done. Thanks for the listen.

YEAH! That’s what I am talking about… A true diamond in the rough there Brian! Not quite Morison, but you put a good spin on this one. If the Inn is not open, you need to fire it back up and greet guests with this one!

Keep on rock’n and take care,
LB

There is still time to raise your hand and get on the list though :grinning:

Another fine performance from Mr B, you did well and rough edges like these make it all more interesting! :grinning: all the best

Great stuff Brian, like me a bit of the Doors!
Keep ‘em coming!

Unsettling and foreboding and it sent me straight to Nina Simone’s version of Strange Fruit. Powerful stuff Brian.