Brian Larsen - May 2022 - covers ... Electric City (Firewater) + Strange Days (The Doors) + Luhrstaap

Just back from 4 days in Berlin, without touching a guitar. I didn’t really miss it when I was there, but couldn’t wait to pick one up when I came back.
I spent the morning looking over old songs I had learnt and messing around, then decided to re-record this one, as I realised I hadn’t tried recording my acoustic since I installed the pickup. I don’t think it’s any better than the last time, but it took me a couple of hours instead of a couple of days this time :smiley:

2nd upload …

The Doors - Strange Days

3rd upload …

Luhrstaap

6 Likes

Hi Brian,
I was just listening to Calexico,So I was curious how big the transition would be from them to you :grimacing:…but that was not that bad, :sweat_smile:,…actually… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: what a happy sounding song, rap and well sung and played in total… …and I like that so much when you haven’t played a song for a long time and in some cases have been plodding on for weeks and then fixed it within a day,
One point of criticism, next time dust your head :thinking:
Greetings

1 Like

That’s grey hair, not dust! :rofl:

1 Like

I was so afraid of this exact joke :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:…, you’ve talked about your lack of household qualities before, and now you’re trying to get out of it again… pick up that polishing cloth and spoil your guitar,…Or not :innocent:

1 Like

Hi Brian. I’m going to repeat to you what you said to me when I ‘re-released’ KOHD. Well actually I’m not going to repeat it because you know what you said. It applies equally to you. :smiley:

That was terrific. Lots of dynamic in both the guitar play and the vocal. I loved the contrast between the verse and chorus.

Your pickup worked really well and the Trio+ was spot on. Well done.

1 Like

Very nice groove here Brian. I don’t recall hearing that in the first iteration. You look and sound more embedded in the performance too.

1 Like

Really good Brian. Always enjoy your videos, you’re a great performer.

1 Like

Love it Brian, the whole production spot on and your usual flair in the performance.

1 Like

Brian, your development as a player is marvelous to behold.
From the early days of single strum A, D and E chords to this dynamic ride through a narrative tale, replete with percussive knocks on the guitar, is testament to your progress.
You need to go away more often!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

the understatement of the year :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

Noooo :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Awww, such nice comments to wake up to this morning :blush:

@sairfingers, can’t quite remember what I said apart from referring to a tipple, but I presume there was back-slapping admiration involved :laughing: Talking of tipple, I indulged in an extremely tasty Weißbier when we had a meal in a brewery in Berlin. Still super-tasty :yum:

@batwoman Cheers, Maggie.
Eaten bread is soon forgotten
Thank you, my forgetful fan :kissing_heart:

@jkahn Cheers, JK, much appreciated :smiley:
@DavidP ditto to you, good Sir ^^ :smiley:

@Richard_close2u
I’ve had some good gurus to hoosh me along :wink:

Let’s not encourage the riff-raff :laughing:

@roger_holland … sigh :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Well of that’s the result of a trip to Berlin, suggest you set up a shuttle service. Can’t recall your previous cover and didn’t know the song but that mattered not a jot ! Hugely enjoyable little ditty, well played, phrased and sung. As Mr C was intimating you have come far and your performances are always a pleasure, so keep them coming.

I won’t mention the dust, as I had to give my steeds a good seeing to when I picked up last Thursday and saw what a mess they were in !! Call it character Mr Mop.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

That was brilliant Brian. I always enjoy the songs you pick as you are always introducing me to something new. Bravo!

1 Like

Hi Brian,
it’s a powerful song with serious lyrics.
And as always, your excellent driving performance.
Thanks.
Leo

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Haha, wouldn’t mind spending a bit more time there- the city suits me :smiley: I shall attempt to please :wink:

@SgtColon Thanks Stefan. I used to see myself as a bit of a ‘musical missionary man’ :laughing: Still some of those traits lingering…

@crocodile1 Cheers, Leo. Generous as always. I really enjoyed your last outing with Mike :smiley:

That was great Brian clearly Berlin served you well by the sound of your upload! Your rhytm is impeccable you really felt the song throughout which made it a solid performance. And considering your pickup DIY project the sound was actually very nice and one wouldn’t be able to tell it was added later on :wink: great work overall!

The Doors have been on my mind the last couple of days. Sandro (@Dro_1) recently posted a nice fingerstyle version of People are Strange and @TheMadman_tobyjenner’s missing mojo reminded me of Jim’s anagram, Mr. Mojo Risin’. I mentioned Strange Days on his thread and that led me to looking up chords and lyrics for the song on UG.
Well, less than 24 hours later, here’s the unpolished diamond.
Hehe, not signing up for the OM, means I don’t have to keep playing the same song! :rofl:
Strange days indeed…

7 Likes

Long time since I heard this but good to see you getting down and dirty here and there. Certainly a diamond but I dispute it being unpolished. You appear to be on a roll sir !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, what do I want to say here…
Brian, sometimes unpolished diamonds are very good :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi Brian,
That was a nice performance and certainly considering the speed with which you have prepared it and calling it a diamond in the rough I look forward to the day it is polished…nice distortion is in it …is that the guitar or the amp…or both? strange days,…where what how???
Greetings

1 Like