Brian Larsen - May 2022 - covers ... Electric City (Firewater) + Strange Days (The Doors) + Luhrstaap

I did the same. It had some influence, both musically and behaviorally. But will say that I never dropped acid, despite other folk extolling its virtues and having it in hand one weekend when in the army and hanging out in Hillbrow.

For some reason the description of Jim’s brother kneeling over him and dribbling long strands of thick saliva (after drinking orange juice) over his face. only to suck it back up again before it made contact, has remained with me :roll_eyes:
Even if not acid, you still haven’t addressed Gordon’s worry :wink:

Now you have me scratching my head … my memory would have been of Jim torturing his brother in that way. And then there was the story about tobogganing as well.

I guess now it doesn’t take too much imagination to come up with guesses that would be likely :laughing: Though maybe Gordon was not influenced by that biography, and needs more food for thought :laughing:.

1 Like

I’m sure you’re right. It was the image that struck me, not the participants. Long time ago… :wink:

1 Like

That was very enjoyable Brian. I thought you playing and singing were excellent, as always.
I know quite a few Doors, songs but I’d not heard this one before but what a treat it was.

After visiting my daughter in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, the city has been on my mind a lot.

I remembered this song I love, Luhrstaap, taken from the excellent Raw Melody Men by New Model Army. They introduce it as “a song for the funeral of the DDR”. It was written in 1990, after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and try hard as I might, I was unable to find any relevant information on the song title. If any of our Teutonic members can enlighten me, I’d be grateful.

It’s a rough ‘n’ ready fun recording, but that’s ok as the live version is none too polished either.

A couple of folks remarked on my last backing track being too low, so I bumped up the vol on the Trio+ a bit.

3 Likes

Hi Brian ,

I think it’s a nice song and what you’ve done with it too :sunglasses:…but asking such a question about the meaning of that word is a bit less … now I’ve been searching for 20 minutes and fear that the answer will not come from me…I can’t stand that,i give up already :woozy_face:
Greetings…

1 Like

Hi Brian, living in the very south of Germany, close to the Austrian border, I don’t see myself too much as a “teutonic” member of this community, but I found this:
http://www.ne-ne.de/nmasongs/annotations/l.html
Lurhstaap:
Obviously the meaning of the word is a band secret and will remain for ever unknown. Suggestions have included that it is a foreign word, a swear word spelled backwards or an anagramm for something. However, all attempts to decipher the word have lead to nothing, and I believe it actually does not mean anything at all.”

That’s just a part of the text. Maybe that helps? Pfiadi!

1 Like

@roger_holland & @Helen0609
Thank you both very much, but now I feel guilty about not having searched hard enough myself :rofl:
It’s good to know there are other curious people out there with time on their hands…

Griessde, Andrea (or is it Helen??)
You got your revenge by sending me down my own rabbit hole :laughing:
I didn’t quite get your Pfiadi sign-off, and thought you possibly meant ‘Pfadi’ (Pfadfinder/in), but consulted the Google oracle only to end up in a Boarische hole… (I spent a couple of summers in the 80s working in Munich and Konstanz)
What a weird bunch in this community…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
yes, feel guilty

ha ha , more than good is sometimes for me…

ha ha ,also more than good is sometimes for me,but solved with a lighter guitar :see_no_evil:, and a slight urge for input :upside_down_face:

1 Like

[quote=“brianlarsen, post:45, topic:79777”]
with time on their hands…
[/quote], not really, but this was more interesting than the things I had to do…

Ich nehm’ dich beim Wort :joy: ( I take your word Mr Larsen)

[quote=“brianlarsen, post:45, topic:79777”]
Andrea
[/quote] is my first name, Helen(e) my middle name.

Cosmopolitan as you are, I thought you know this bavarian salutation…

1 Like

Another interesting and entertaining musical installment, BL! Nice bar chord workout as well. I can’t speak to the lyrics or overall point of the song, but ultimately it’s music and I’m willing to enjoy it at face value. Nicely done! :slight_smile:

Liked the energy and vibe of this Brian. The muting and finger lifting on a barre chord sounded cool, as did the tone.

I think the drums were better balanced, could perhaps be still louder. But it’s all a matter of taste.

Cheers Clint :smiley:
It’s all about the music. That whole album has a ton of energy :zap:
I think the song is simply about: Wall comes down and DDR is ‘freed’. Guess what? Things ain’t perfect in the West neither :roll_eyes:
Interesting about the barre chords. I remember when I was learning them a couple of years ago, @Rossco01 mentioned how you become accustomed to them and he didn’t even think of them as being harder any more. I find myself often preferring to play them than open chords now, especially when the changes are a bit quicker. I also find it easier to understand/remember the song structure/chord sequences.
Hey all you barre chord novices- there’s light at the end of the tunnel :sunglasses:

@DavidP cheers, David. I started just letting them all twang out and then thought it needed something else.
Here’s the live version for anyone who wants to hear what it should sound like :wink:

1 Like

Nah, but thanks, quite content with how it sounded

Correct, the West is what it is. I’ll say no more. LOL

I use bar chords sparingly as they tend to wash out with so many duplicate notes (the chord itself, bass player, etc), and they make it harder to add dynamics such as hammer-ons, single note additions and other embellishments. Learn them, love them, and like all our musical tools use them wisely. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow Brian, finally you’ve done one of my all time favourite songs!

Didn’t sound rough and ready to me Brian. Your performance had an edgy punk sound and feel to it. The barre chord workout was great and allowed you to use fret finger muting giving you a pulsing beat which along with your excellent vocal drove the song along. I thought the sound balance was good but we all listen on different devices so I suppose that’s subjective.

As for the meaning of the lyrics and their connection to the Berlin Wall coming down…. no idea. I’m not good at poetic/song lyric interpretation. She loves you, I wanna hold your hand, she puts on her make up and brushes her long blonde hair. That’s about my limit. :smiley:

As for it being one of my all time favourite songs……gotcha. :joy:

4 Likes

Haha, ‘gotcha’ might be pushing it a tad :laughing:

That’d make a great opening line for a song :rofl:
Right- I have something in the pipeline especially for you, Gordon. It’s so old you might even remember it.
Good clean, wholesome, happy and luvvy dovey… and no, I am not being sarcastic. I’m just not sure how long it will take :wink:

1 Like

Another reason I hang out here-
Folk will always offer glimpses of what’s waiting down the line. Jason prophesying the barre chords and when they arrive Clint pointing out the delights of more intricate chord work.
I’ll take this one day at a time and continue getting (/being?) there :smiley:

1 Like

Something dirty and punky, I liked that.

Another obscure one from the trove of Brian, I thought. I searched for the original on Spotify - not on Spotify. Searched YouTube, and found it - your video was the 3rd hit! Then Gordon says he knows it.

Gordon had me as well. “Not so obscure?” I thought. Then the gotcha…

1 Like