Brian Larsen - October 2022 - 6.45 (Firewater) + Laissez Faire (David Ackles) + My Sister's Tiny Hands (Handsome Family) + In The Dutch Mountains (The Nits)

I have a different perspective on the OMs these days. They are great for folks to get experience playing live and in front of people. For me playing live on a scheduled day is just too much like work. It’s my work-a-day planned out world carrying over into my free time. I may do another one of these after I retire, but not while I’m still working.

This is another fun and off the beaten path track for you. Always good and entertaining. At the end of the day its not about what I like, but more about what the player likes. High marks for playing your songs your way. Cheers!

Great playing. It’s great how you add interest to the vocals - the pauses, different tones, build up, etc.

Your OM performance was pretty good but really Chris stole the show on his mandolin, it was captivating. You were the backup player & singer for his mandolin :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

How entertaining. I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting!

It’s great to have another listen Brian, I really like the song and your performance is always a pleasure to watch.

The mandolin in your OM performance does add a je nais se quois but not having it in doesn’t spoil your great rendition here. Loved the whammy at the end.

Good one Brian,
Like the emotion and feelings you put into your vox! Ever tried the pickup switch in the middle or towards the neck? I could be mistaken, but I think the position you have it in, might normally be used on lead work??? Of course if you like it and feel that is the best tone for the song, go all in…
:slight_smile:
All the best,
LB

This is a bit different for me…
I’ve been listening to the wonderful David Ackles recently and fancied a go at this. I couldn’t even find a dodgy website with suggested chords, so (with a little help from my son, Tor) had to figure out a rough approximation on my own, (which I transposed). I kept it to simple minor/major with nothing fancy although there’s a key change somewhere in the middle that I just had to force in.
(For the record, I neither smoke nor drink these days)
Ah, go on… it’s only a minute and a half long :laughing:

7 Likes

Hi Brian,…
Loved the playing (and singing ofcourse) sweet way of picking/playing and the wat agresieve ware also super :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:,…It was even a bit too short for me,but let’s be lusty for more…(of the record… yes yes, don’t drink these days , :thinking::womans_clothes:…,…)
Liked it :sunglasses: :man_bowing:
Greeting,…

1 Like

Nice one! Although i still smoke lol. Dont drink anymore though which is a good thing!!

1 Like

heel erg bedankt :smiley:

I’m afraid that’s all poor David wrote for that one and he’s long dead, so I’ll have to wait till I join him in heaven to get any more… (How do I know? Well it appears Jesus was his friend too :smiley:

@Bytron08 Thanks man.
Cigarettes will kill ya. Keep away from the tobacco :wink:

1 Like

:smile:,…Good one,…and the comment of someone under this you-tube video is so true,… :smile:
a real earworm,…

And Byron,…I might have said to Brian in the past ‘and whine about smoking posible too :face_with_raised_eyebrow:’…but he’s so right :innocent:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Funky stuff Brian and such a mood shift through it. Smoking days gone now (luckily!) but do enjoy a good tipple :wink:

If only overheads were low tho :frowning:

You’ve become positively prolific Brian, serving up treat after treat. Apart from the usual dramatic vocal delivery. I noticed you making use of the thumb-index finger strum technique again, and enjoyed the reverb on those big dynamic single down strummed chords.

That was great Brian. I love coming on here and checking out something totally new to me. Super dynamics in both your playing and vocals which made this piece captivating right to the end. Superb stuff!!!

Where or more like how did you find this particular piece? They guy has (or had) 1k views on this song and less than 200 subscribers, I am genuinely interested how did you find him? :grinning:

Other than that pretty good performance in a typical Brian style! No doubt you had issues finding chords for guitar if it’s a piano song, although you and your son did pretty fine job transcribing and transposing it :wink: well done and all the best you bloody capitalist! :laughing:

I’m with @adi_mrok on this one Brian, where did you find it? :smiley:

Really good though and I thought they playing a little different for you, yet done in that indomitable Larsen way. Vocals, well, great as always.

Excellent stuff.

@Notter
Actually your percussive smiley work-in-progress was a big factor in pushing myself to just press record and share, so cheers for that :smiley:

@DavidP
I’m simply following @Richard_close2u’s mantra :laughing:
I know I should be following some kind targeted skills plan (not to mention following J’s course), but I’ve resigned myself to ploughing my own path through the muck :roll_eyes: Slow progress is still fine for me.
Yes, I haven’t used the ol’ alternate bass plucking for a while now. I’m also revisiting some simple finger-picking chord arpeggios, which is fun but slow.
Ta for the listen and encouragement.

Cheers @Eddie_09. Much appreciated :smiley:
I’ve been not so subtly trying to spread my joy of some of the lesser-trodden paths of popular music here on the forum.
Most are very tolerant and just give me a slight slagging…
Much of what I do is to distract from questionable guitar technique :roll_eyes:

Ah…

Pull up a chair and grab a cuppa- :wink:

When I was a teenager, I had a cool song on a mixtape singing about a road to Cairo but had no idea who it was by and was lost many moons ago.

Last spring, when I brought my mum back to Ireland, I was driving with my brother and the song was playing on his Spotify list. It was the original David Ackles version, although the one I had was (an even better :smiley:) cover from the same year by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity
I promptly downloaded two of his albums, David Ackles and American Gothic- both class.
Although not very popular, he has some high profile admirers, incl. Elvis Costello, Elton John & Phil Collins…

Regarding the economic message of the song- Well, you are not alone in raising this point.
My wife asked me if I was promoting our current government’s tax policies… :roll_eyes:
Now, without veering into politics (I have form in this area), I thought it was reasonable to allow the protagonist, who only has a roll-away bed to keep it, even if he squanders the few pennies he has on questionable substances…
I still have the chorus of The Burning Hell’s ‘greatest hit’ ringing in my ears from a great gig in Manchester last weekend (afraid you’ll have to google that, too)

Above all, thanks for the thoughtful, well-researched comment :smiley:

@SgtColon
Actually your percussive smiley work-in-progress was a big factor in pushing myself to just press record and share, so cheers for that :smiley:

4 Likes

:rofl: I hope she said “that was a great performance” before asking that question.

1 Like

Hey Brian,
Another offering from you. I almost missed this one though. Good stuff… but your attack of the poor strings makes me wonder if you have broken many? LOL

No big as I found this a bit short but worth putting some ear time in on it so to speak.

Keep on a rock’n and all the best!
LB

1 Like

Haha, I shall refrain from lowering the tone :rofl:

@LBro Thanks again, Brother :smiley:
Nope- I don’t think I’ve ever broken a string.
Then again, I hardly ever use a pick and my fingers are soft and pudgy :laughing:
Regarding brevity, well, it’s not much shorter than the original, so I’m going with ‘authenticity’

1 Like

Well, there was some loose talk about clowns and circuses this afternoon, but this citizen remained a model of our community and focused on learning songs, sharing the fruits of his labour with his beloved comrades :innocent:
It feels like a while since I did a straightforward point and strum with Trio+ backing band.
I hope it’s a good sign that I often feel a little restricted by the Trio these days, as it is hard to incorporate much in the way of dynamics :thinking:
Still, all good fun, and The Handsome Family never fail to provide a bit of darkness… :smiling_imp:

10 Likes