Brian Larsen - October 2022 - 6.45 (Firewater) + Laissez Faire (David Ackles) + My Sister's Tiny Hands (Handsome Family) + In The Dutch Mountains (The Nits)

I’m with @adi_mrok on this one Brian, where did you find it? :smiley:

Really good though and I thought they playing a little different for you, yet done in that indomitable Larsen way. Vocals, well, great as always.

Excellent stuff.

@Notter
Actually your percussive smiley work-in-progress was a big factor in pushing myself to just press record and share, so cheers for that :smiley:

@DavidP
I’m simply following @Richard_close2u’s mantra :laughing:
I know I should be following some kind targeted skills plan (not to mention following J’s course), but I’ve resigned myself to ploughing my own path through the muck :roll_eyes: Slow progress is still fine for me.
Yes, I haven’t used the ol’ alternate bass plucking for a while now. I’m also revisiting some simple finger-picking chord arpeggios, which is fun but slow.
Ta for the listen and encouragement.

Cheers @Eddie_09. Much appreciated :smiley:
I’ve been not so subtly trying to spread my joy of some of the lesser-trodden paths of popular music here on the forum.
Most are very tolerant and just give me a slight slagging…
Much of what I do is to distract from questionable guitar technique :roll_eyes:

Ah…

Pull up a chair and grab a cuppa- :wink:

When I was a teenager, I had a cool song on a mixtape singing about a road to Cairo but had no idea who it was by and was lost many moons ago.

Last spring, when I brought my mum back to Ireland, I was driving with my brother and the song was playing on his Spotify list. It was the original David Ackles version, although the one I had was (an even better :smiley:) cover from the same year by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity
I promptly downloaded two of his albums, David Ackles and American Gothic- both class.
Although not very popular, he has some high profile admirers, incl. Elvis Costello, Elton John & Phil Collins…

Regarding the economic message of the song- Well, you are not alone in raising this point.
My wife asked me if I was promoting our current government’s tax policies… :roll_eyes:
Now, without veering into politics (I have form in this area), I thought it was reasonable to allow the protagonist, who only has a roll-away bed to keep it, even if he squanders the few pennies he has on questionable substances…
I still have the chorus of The Burning Hell’s ‘greatest hit’ ringing in my ears from a great gig in Manchester last weekend (afraid you’ll have to google that, too)

Above all, thanks for the thoughtful, well-researched comment :smiley:

@SgtColon
Actually your percussive smiley work-in-progress was a big factor in pushing myself to just press record and share, so cheers for that :smiley:

4 Likes

:rofl: I hope she said “that was a great performance” before asking that question.

1 Like

Hey Brian,
Another offering from you. I almost missed this one though. Good stuff… but your attack of the poor strings makes me wonder if you have broken many? LOL

No big as I found this a bit short but worth putting some ear time in on it so to speak.

Keep on a rock’n and all the best!
LB

1 Like

Haha, I shall refrain from lowering the tone :rofl:

@LBro Thanks again, Brother :smiley:
Nope- I don’t think I’ve ever broken a string.
Then again, I hardly ever use a pick and my fingers are soft and pudgy :laughing:
Regarding brevity, well, it’s not much shorter than the original, so I’m going with ‘authenticity’

1 Like

Well, there was some loose talk about clowns and circuses this afternoon, but this citizen remained a model of our community and focused on learning songs, sharing the fruits of his labour with his beloved comrades :innocent:
It feels like a while since I did a straightforward point and strum with Trio+ backing band.
I hope it’s a good sign that I often feel a little restricted by the Trio these days, as it is hard to incorporate much in the way of dynamics :thinking:
Still, all good fun, and The Handsome Family never fail to provide a bit of darkness… :smiling_imp:

10 Likes

The key suits you Brian and you’re looking ever so comfortable in your groove. Perhaps ‘a bit of darkness’ suits you rather well?

I think that’s pretty close to the original for you, Brian. Add all the bg sounds of the Original and you could have fooled me. Well done, Young’n. I think Ms Maggie is right with the bit of darkness. Dark, light, whatever, you never fail at entertaining us with your performances.

@batwoman Many thanks, my dear Auntie Pod :kissing_heart:
Always preferred dark suits to grey ones :wink:

@oldhead49 Appreciate the listen and compliment, Dave :smiley:
It’s a far cry from the meticulous transcribing tone-sculpting you excel in, but the fact that you recognize where I’m coming from and what I’m trying to achieve is reward in itself.
Brett and I share the same glasses, chubby cheeks, greying facial hair and possibly taste in music :smiley:
I count myself lucky not to have experienced his mental problems :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Back in your oft-frequented wheelhouse, Brian.

Not much I can say about the performance … it is up to scratch as always. You are a consummate performer, showing that the ability to entertain is not dependent on being a virtuoso guitarist.

I am curious about …

perhaps you can elaborate on that, just to satisfy my ever present curiosity.

I’d also like to hear the song played on your acoustic, which as I recall has the self-installed sound hole pickup so could be played through the Trio+.

I know it is Justin’s suggestion that people learn on an electric, but I’m still not quite into the vibe of an electric amplified in such a way that it can be strummed as if an acoustic. I know it works fine, just one of my own foibles, sounds quite OK, but for me it is just a little different to an acoustic.

And thanks for ignoring the bait in the various places where it has been dangled. I confess had I been more dialed into things I’d have acted differently from the outset.

1 Like

You never fail to impress Brian. Just enjoyed that while drinking my morning coffee :coffee:. You always look so relaxed and comfortable performing so I am sure you are destined for more than 15 minutes of fame!

Sorry I just realized with my foggy morning head I messed up my original post on this so came back to edit. :roll_eyes:.

1 Like

Hi Brian,
Sounds good on this end. Seems no reason you can’t use your pedal on an electric as this came out pretty decent in tone. I agree with Maggie, the key you are in suits your voice well. You seem at home on this one.

Keep up the good vibe and be well mate!
LB

1 Like

Dont know the song but it was well played, song seemed to suit you.

1 Like

Ha I needed a happy song but that will do nicely ! New song new artist for me but very enjoyable sir. There is too much dialogue and criticism in the air at the moment, so I offer no critique but thank you for a pleasant few minutes.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Brian,
A lovely song to start my music day with,…well played and sung beautifully… :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:

[quote=“brianlarsen, post:1, topic:144735”]
I hope it’s a good sign that I often feel a little restricted by the Trio these days
[/quote] :thinking:
nope…

:flushed:…I should have spoken to your mother by now after seeing this photo or a special session to get in touch with your father and ask some questions :flushed:
:joy:
In any case, I had a nice morning again… on to a busy afternoon,… bye :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@DavidP Ta for the listen and thumbs up, David. You’re well used to this fare by now :laughing:

Regarding the Trio+, it might be partly my laziness, not exploring everything it can do and squeezing the last bit of juice out of it, but you also are aware of my penchant for ‘low-hanging fruit’.

I bought it not only as a looper/drum-machine/metronome, but also as a jam-buddy/backing band to accompany me as I hack away at my obscure songs.
Now, it does fulfil all those purposes very well and it’s an extremely useful piece of kit, but I find when I use it for a live performance it is hard to incorporate dynamics into the song. The volume remains constant, as does the tempo. I don’t think you can program silence, although you can set it up so that you can step on a footswitch to silence it till you take your foot off.
(There are ways to work around it for recording purpose, as you can just send all the separate channels into your DAW and manipulate there)

Regarding the acoustic- You’re right, I often look at my Fender and think should I use that? But I’m a creature of habit and the HB has become my default go-to guitar, as it’s the most comfortable to lie on the couch with while watching TV. It’s also much quieter. Things can get quite monotonous for the family when I’m practicing a song! :rofl:

Regarding the other- well, it’s the 1st rule of fight club :wink:

@Eddie_09 Cheers, man :smiley:
You’re still relatively new here but the ‘novelty’ will wear off :rofl:

@LBro Thank you, Brother :sunglasses:
Not sure about the ‘pedal’ remark? I tend not to use them and just dial in a tone from the amp.
I was talking about feeling restricted with my looper/band creator (see above).
Will def keep on truckin’ :wink:

@skinnyt Cheers, Trevor :smiley:
In the Air is a good album to dip into if you fancy dipping into the Handsome Family

@TheMadman_tobyjenner And a very big thank you for dropping by my porch for a chat and a listen. I’ve already put another pot on the stove :wink:

3 Likes

Oh dear, how could I have left out @roger_holland? :roll_eyes:
I shall simply savour the first line of your lovely comment-
Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

You’ve got your own style and voice with the instrument, my friend. I know what to expect musically, as you hold down the rhythm portion so well, but I never know the song that you choose to highlight. This is another one off the beaten path (at least to me).

I come here for the guitar, but I think the growl in your vocals really popped out on this one. Mood, tempo and delivery all in keeping with the subject matter. Well done! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah Clint. Thanks man :smiley:
Yeah, In a parallel universe I’m a Sultan called Guitar George, I know all the chords. Mind, it’s strictly rhythm- I don’t want to make it cry or sing :rofl:

Believe it or not, I come here for the guitar too, and get a thrill out of some of your shine rubbing off on me :smiley:
Thanks for the listen and positive comments

2 Likes

@brianlarsen Brett?? Brian?? Hmmm.
How about a side by side?

2 Likes