Brothers in Arms cover

Definitely trying to play above my head here, but Mark Knopfler is my favorite singer-songwriter-guitarist, so I decided to give it a go. After a few months of working on it, I think it’s time to move on. Did learn a lot. I needed to use a backing track for this one.

18 Likes

Showing as private.!

R.

Sorry. Updated.

1 Like

One-off my favourites. Thank you for this.

R.

1 Like

Good job man. Never easy taking on an iconic track like Brothers in Arms but you did it well

1 Like

I enjoyed watching that, you can see there’s been a ton of hard work gone into learning it. I particularly like that you’d captured the dynamics as well as the notes of the original.

2 Likes

I had mentally prepared myself for going down the comment road of saying how disappointed I was to see a post from you that was not an original- but not at all.
This was a sensitive rendition of a fab song and it oozed feeling.
Tone, balance, playing, vocals, all on point.
No nits here
Bravo & vibes :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve been listening to a lot of Dire Straits at the moment and love this track!
Great job on it! You’ve really conveyed the feeling of it. Loved listening to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was excellent Jay. The hard work and the hours you put in really payed off. A great song played and sung really well. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks all for the kind comments. At my age, progress comes very slowly, and the encouragement helps. Any suggestions about what I should be working on in this piece?

1 Like

This is on my “dreamer” list for many reasons.

finding a good singing key for me
Finding a good way to play it without backing
Needing to up my lead techniques

…and there you go, tasteful playing, a gentle, a bit vulnerable vocal making it a fitting rendition!
liked it!

1 Like

Beautiful! So much emotion conveyed, just brilliant! Top performance! Thanks for sharing :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Nice job Jay.

MK/DS has released a number of great songs - Lady Writer, Skate Away, Tunnel of Love, Expresso Love, What it is, and one you don’t hear very often these days: Boom Like That. Some day I’ll be able to play some of them myself (if I live that long HA!)

Hang in there.

Jeff from Maine

1 Like

Hi Jay, that was absolutely wonderful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.
I‘m a big DS fan myself. Actually, they are one of the main reasons, why I started my guitar journey. I‘m still a bloody beginner, so this song is definitely out of reach for me right now. I‘m very impressed how well you played and sung it. There was so much feeling in it. Congratulations, it was definitely worth the hard work and time you‘ve put into it :clap::+1::star_struck:.

1 Like

Beautiful Jay. Nothing to say, except that I really enjoyed it!

1 Like

Hi Jay. I’m a big Dire Straits fan too and that was terrific. You really got MK’s tone out of your guitar/amp. Well done. Your vocal had an emotional feel to it’s too, super stuff. You’ve clearly put a load of work into that one.

1 Like

Very nice from every perspective. I imagine mastering a song like that brings a huge jump in abilty and confidance.

1 Like

Jay

That’s a little diversion from your usual home grown toons ! And what a delight, thought the tone was really good and the touch was sublime. Love this song but always been frightened of it but it was good to see you play it as it helped me understand it a bit more, if that makes sense ? Was not expecting vocals as well when I saw the title but as usual you did not disappoint in that department either. Thank you for sharing.

:sunglasses:

Thanks, Toby. I’m glad this helped you out. Hope to hear your version sometime. For my part, I was strongly motivated to try my best to sound like Mark, which is ridiculous given the fact that I’m only an intermediate level player, but a motivation nonetheless. And then, finally letting go of the thing even though there are still many shortcomings (dynamics, timing, sustain, and just missed notes) was a bit unsatisfying. But I’m sure I’ll come back to it many times.

1 Like

Bravo, Jay, without doubt an ambitious project and you’ve delivered a memorable production of one of DS’s finest songs, a classic that showcases the band and MK’s considerable abilities.

Tip my hat to you … fine guitar work, both the play and tone, plus a vocal that caught the sing-speak vibe.

From a production perspective, your final audio was 4.9dB over the YT loudness norm. So YT would lower that. I’m not sure how they do that, but potentially could result in some unwanted compression and loss of dynamics. Not likely to be something the majority notice but easy to take care of in your mixing, so I’d suggest checking that and coming in under but close to the norm.

From a mix perspective, I would have raised the level of your vocal a few dB to bring it more forward in your mix. I think in the original the backing was mixed with more width to give his soft delivery more space. No rights and wrongs on this, this is purely my subjective opinion.

In similar vein, I’d have liked to have heard your play throughout the outro with a less dramatic fade starting later. At the volume I was listening I could see you playing the last few licks/phrases but was hearing just the backing fading out.

Those two comments just my opinion and should take nothing away from a fabulous production.

Take a bow!