Bruce here, in search of a lost chord

Wonderful greetings from New England. I have a long history with the guitar, one of those off and on affairs you might say. I must admit I’m a bit of a perfectionist, so my job as a QC Inspector was a good match over the years. But that same personality trait is sort of a love hate relationship, especially when it comes to hobbies, which hopefully I can enjoy now that I’m retired.
So my first guitar which I bought years ago had action that was too high, so I tried for awhile and then wondered how anyone could learn. Eventually I read up a bit (Youtube didn’t even exist then) and found that the action was too high. So I took it and had the truss rod adjusted, but was told that the guitar was beyond help. I think I used that and quit.
Move ahead about 20 years and I got the itch again to play and this time I found a used Taylor with hardshell case at GuitarCenter. Much better action, well at least the guitar had it anyway .Me on the other hand not so much so. Work and other things had taken over my time. So I didn’t get to practice.
We all know you don’t get results unless you put the time in, so you guessed it, I quit again.
Now here’s the funny part, my daughter’s friend came over and I got home from work and there was my guitar case in my daughters room. She was strumming away, and asked why no one was using it since it was in such good shape. So that sort of egged me on a bit and I decided to try again.
This is when I discovered JustinGuitar, and I read and watched his YouTube videos. Justin has a great personality, and just strikes you as a regular bloke. Someone worth listening to, and I did.
Best advice, “always try and practice even if its only for 5 minutes a day.” So I am and it helps with good results. I just posted my first audio of me playing yesterday. Not great, but its another step in the right direction.
You might ask why Breakfast at Tiffany’s ? Well as a big movie buff I always like the movie, and the song isn’t half bad either. So give a listen, and above all keep on strumming !

9 Likes

Welcome aboard, Bruce! :smiley:

Glad you found Justin on one of your attempts to learn the guitar and stayed. You’re right, he’s someone you want to listen to and it’s so worth it. That’s why we all are here. :smiley:

So good you’re already on your way with recording and sharing those records for feedback! :+1:

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey.

Cheers - Lisa

Welcome to the forum Bruce.
I think you need to check your post; there’s possibly a Rogue Link from a typo in your introduction: the 3rd paragraph anyway dot me
Breakfast a Tiffany’s is a great song too … :blush:

Thanks , should be OK now.

Thank you for sharing your story. Congrats on finding a great deal on the Taylor and hard shell case. Do you and your daughter share the instrument, or did you get yourself another guitar? My strings are a bit high, so the instrument is in the shop to be “set up”. It will have the action adjusted, the neck is good, and the guitar will have a new set of Martin (light) strings. I’m told I’ll have to wait up to 14 days. Guess I’ll be starting over on the cycle of A to D and back again. David

Welcome to the forum Bruce

Welcome Bruce.

She actually used to play the violin, but no longer. The Taylor is just for me. I use light strings myself.

Just a quick question. I updated a photo in my profile, but it still doesn’t post next to my name, how do you get it to show?

Hi Bruce,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
How to update your profile

If this link doesn’t help, type the words from that link into the search box…that should help

Greetings,Rogier

Hi Bruce, welcome to the community.

Hi Bruce, welcome. Good you’ve been trying again to play guitar. If you practice regularly, progress will come. Have fun.