Bucking the hum: advice needed on a footswitch

A few months ago I checked out the stuff offered by Electro-Harmonix, and their Hum Debugger caught my attention. Basically, it’s a footswitch that is supposed to eliminate the hum originating from audio sources (i.e. not from the electric circuit, wall sockets, etc).

It looks quite tempting and I could definitely use a bit of hum cancelling when I play my hollow-body guitar with P90s at a higher volume.

Have you ever used this piece of kit or something similar? Do you think it’s a viable solution?

Hi Jozsef,

Yes, what you’re looking at is called a noise gate pedal. They work really well for removing unwanted noise from guitar pickups, effect pedals and (with some setups) noise coming from the amp.

The particular model that you’re looking at is not the one I would recommend though!

For best results you might want to look into a pedal with a loop, so it can be set up in a so-called 4 cable method (although you can also use those in a more simple manner, in-line with the guitar signal).

I use a premium model from Revv called “G8” and it works perfectly. But for a cheaper option I would recommend the good old Boss NS-2 pedal. I believe the Boss is cheaper than the one from EHX, and frankly better as well…

1 Like

Basic question: Is that the same effect as the ‘Gate’ (Threshold/decay) that I have on the app for my Yamaha THR?

Actually, it’s not the same thing. A noise gate works across a range of frequencies and is usually triggered on signal level.

The EHX device is specific to mains hum (50 or 60 Hz depending on country) and isn’t triggered; it’s always on.

It works by filtering the primary mains frequency (50 or 60Hz) and it’s harmonics. It will not work for higher (or lower) frequency noise.

I imagine you might be able to do something a bit like it wil an EQ pedal, but probably not as effectively.

A noise gate pedal like the Boss NS-2 is the same as the noise gate on your THR.

The EHX Hum Debugger is something completely different.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

I become wiser every day :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t know that. But in that case my original recommendation still stands - probably even more so. A noise gate (triggered on input signal) will be more generally useful IMO.

1 Like