šŸŽø BurnsRhythmā€™s Burning Ambitions

April 2024 - Update

BLUES has been the main focus of practice this last couple of months.
Iā€™ve added a couple more pieces from the Blues studies module so thereā€™s just the ā€˜6th Trickā€™ to look at.

In Grade3 Iā€™ve been exploring the C chord and just moved on to learning my first triad shapes. Triads are a lot of fun and, like the Blues stuff, they have me moving around the neck more.

Greensleves- Hmmā€¦Iā€™m not practicing this one much now. To be honest, I got a bit fed up with it. I can play through it but can never get it to flow quite like it should.
Was worth having a go at though because it highlighted the need to put some practice into my picking technique.
I also came across the concept of in/out picking in one of the blues lessons, so I now have a 5 minute slot for pick technique.
I think Iā€™ve said before that I donā€™t put any thought into how I pick when Iā€™m playing something - I just let it happen quite naturally.
By putting some time into focusing on the various ways of picking, Iā€™m hoping that when I go back to ā€œletting it happen naturallyā€ my grey cell will have more options to send to my hand!
Another thing to consider is the slightly different sounds that different pick actions produce. That could also be a factor in what my brain tells my hand.

Transcribing
There are transcribing lessons coming up in Grade3 but before I get to them Iā€™ve recently started the Transcribe 1 course.
So far, Iā€™ve transcribed the first three exercises in ā€™Pentatonic beginningsā€™ and they were a piece of cake. I donā€™t go mad doing one after another though, I do one and then mess around with it for a few days. I improvise around it and also find it by ear in other places on the neck, then move on to the next one.
Iā€™ve only learned pattern 1 of the pentatonic scale but I realise that these other places will be part of other patterns.
Iā€™m chuffed that I found these first exercises easy because it means that the time I put into developing my ear is paying off.
The exercises will no doubt get harder as they become more complex. That can only be a good thing!

:guitar: David

4 Likes

Hey David, am I mistaken or you have changed your LLā€™s name? Love this one! :fire:
Ambitions are good to have!

Your update was an interesting read, Iā€™m happy you can see your progress with your earā€¦we put the hours in and when something finally seems like it has been easy itā€™s like ā€œok, Iā€™m doing well!ā€ā€¦and itā€™s just great, Iā€™m happy for you!

I guess anyone who attempted it can relate to thisā€¦ for me the issue was that I wasnā€™t doing a good job with my fretting hand and the way I transitioned between chord shapes was not smooth as it shouldā€¦and it is not yet, Iā€™m afraidā€¦but Iā€™m working on this aspect through different pieces now and eventually I hope to be able to move my fingers more efficently.

Exactlyā€¦letā€™s just :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:ā€¦only it takes so much focusing on single aspects so that things then happen naturallyā€¦my grey cell is a bit slow on the uptake I guess :joy:

Thanks for sharing your update, have fun with your Blues studies :blush:

1 Like

Hey Silvia, thanks for checking out my update.
I think developing our ear is one of the most important aspects of learning and playing guitar. That ear told me my chord melody playing could be a whole lot better and that led to looking into pick technique.
There are aspects of the blues pieces that involve strumming and then picking single notes. Itā€™s not chord melody as such but hopefully it will lead to getting a more consistent sound.
Iā€™ll certainly have another go at chord melody sometime and pick up on your idea of trying different songs to keep it interesting.

Your grey cell is working just fine, and your eagle eye spotted the change of title. Good eh!
:fire::notes: :fire::trophy:ā€¦(whatā€™s emoji for ambition?)
Iā€™m intrigued to see what you come up with for yours. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi David, I have enjoyed reading through most of your learning log. You started Justinā€™s lessons just a few months before I did so it was interesting to look at your progress. I am interested in the blues also and I recently went back over the blues module in grade 2 to review a few skills like playing rhythm and the solo to a metronome and improvisation. I was impressed that you made the jump to grade 4 blues lessons, since I am still slowly working my way through grade 3. I was wondering whether you had tried the blues module in grade 3? The grade 3 module 14 blues solo appears to have been taken from the acoustic blues solos in grade 4. The best of luck and fun in your grade 4 blues studies and I hope to be there also by the end of the year.

1 Like

Hey Steve, thanks for the read.
Iā€™m working slowly through Grade3 too, but Iā€™m also doing a few blues lessons from Grade4.
Iā€™ve done the Lickin Riff lesson in Grade3 and itā€™s based on the Vari Shuffle Climb lesson in the G4 Blues Studies module.
Although itā€™s Grade4, the blues lessons there are within the capabilities of Grade3 students who have an interest in the blues.
Iā€™m never going to be a singing strummer so Iā€™m creating my own pathway through the lessons.

Youā€™ll enjoy the Blues Studies when you get there!

1 Like

What about Silviaā€™s Joys? Or Silviaā€™s mental ramblings? Orā€¦SilviaContrastingDegenerativeDiseases
:joy:ā€¦Iā€™ll just leave it the way it isā€¦

1 Like

@SILVIA
Ha ha!
Silviaā€™s Joys is good but the others are just you doing yourself down. Stop that!!
Silviaā€™sā€¦.
nah, Iā€™ll leave it with you. :smiley:

I see youā€™ve posted an update. Iā€™ll have a listen later. Put the kettle on! :coffee:

1 Like

That is good to know. I will take a look at those blues lessons. I had assumed they would be too difficult.

BTW, I am a singing strummer and always will be, but I also have ambitions to play the blues. Have fun as you follow your path.

1 Like

@SteveL_G99
Steve, if youā€™ve learned the Lickin Riff in Grade3, youā€™ll be ok with the Vari Shuffle Climb. There are no licks in it, itā€™s mostly the same shuffle rhythms with some climb up/downs to link the chords.
Tore Up a Sidestep and About That Bass are single note riff patterns with a section of nifty chord playing in the Sidestep.
Enjoy! :guitar:

1 Like

David

Nice to read your update.

You are definitely into to blues. I did like it when Justin covered it in Grade 2 but you seem to have taken it beyond the basic intro.

Grade 3 - you seem to be working through it methodically, not sure I am.

Interesting that you are making progress with transcribing, do you think what you have been doing in blues has helped.

Michael

1 Like

@MAT1953
Thanks Michael.
I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m working through G3 methodically. Some things I skip, some I sort of have a quick look at, and those that interest me I put more practice into. I may well go backwards and forwards in the grade for quite a while - time will tell.

Yeah, I suppose my interest in the blues is helping with transcribing. The pieces Iā€™m transcribing are all using the minor pentatonic scale. Itā€™s a scale that Iā€™m fairly familiar with but since I started transcribing Iā€™ve started looking at it more closely. Iā€™m fairly savvy with the sound of, and the intervals in the Major scale but Iā€™ve never done the same thing with the minor pentatonic - until now!

I know you have other priorities but itā€™s good to hear you enjoyed G2 blues. Itā€™s well suited to acoustic guitar too.

1 Like

May 2024 Update

Not a big lot to report this month because Iā€™ve pretty much been practicing the same things as last month plus a couple of additions.
Iā€™ve added Legato Pentatonics from Grade3 and Iā€™ve also started practicing string bending.
Hand strength isnā€™t an issue so itā€™s about getting the pivot action and getting the bends in tune. Other strings keep joining in as well, so I need to work on the muting aspect too. Itā€™s early days though and I know it will all improve with practice.
I could do the finger gym exercise straight out of the blocks so legato pentatonics is about turning it into music. Again - early days.

Iā€™ve completed the Pentatonic beginnings module in Transcibe1 and about to start the next module.
All these exercises were easy although the later ones took longer because they grew from 4 to 8 bars and the last one is 16 bars.
I seem to have settled into transcribing one exercise a week then messing around with all of them for the rest of the week.

I havenā€™t added anything to my Blues studies, I just keep playing what I already know. I never get bored of playing them but I havenā€™t got them to where I want them yet.
I want to be able to pick up the guitar and play without thinking. I still have to think about everything: the structure, where Iā€™m at within it, the order of notes etc.

Speaking of playing without thinkingā€¦I hadnā€™t done anything with the Major Scale Maestro module for ages. Iā€™m a huge fan of Justinā€™s Re-active Listening lessons and when I tried it recentlyā€¦.Aaargh!! I was thinking too much. Thinking about chords, chord tones, scale degrees. My improvisation sounded terrible!
I have to get out of that and listen. LISTEN!!
Itā€™s good to learn and know the theory but thinking about it when Iā€™m playing gets in the way. Listen to the backing track, listen to what Iā€™m playing. The re-active part doesnā€™t work when Iā€™m thinking about the theory.

Iā€™m also looking at how I actually play guitar. Youā€™re supposed to hold it like this and play it like that, this hand does this and that handā€¦.etc etc. Me?ā€¦well I just do it by what seems natural.
Justin, in most of his lessons and song tutorials, has the guitar on his right knee and the neck is horizontal. And that has been me too.
But now Iā€™ve started playing with the guitar on my left knee and the neck angled up. Classical! I always have the strap on too, so the guitar is always in the same position sitting or standing. I think this position is better. The only problem so far is that I tend to push on the body with my picking arm, tilting the guitar. I need to keep an eye on that.

In other news -
Winter changed quite quickly to Summer and seemed to miss Spring out altogether.
My livestock are all back out in the fields and more or less looking after themselves. My workload has changed and is easier and I can find more time for guitar. :smiley:

Hmmā€¦maybe I should go back to the top and cross out ā€œnot much to reportā€ā€¦!

:guitar: David

5 Likes

I am with you on that one. I have found using the right leg, the guitar doesnā€™t sit nicely for my hands and wrists.

1 Like

Hi David, your updates are always very interesting to read and this one is no exception! Many aspects of your learning experience I can relate toā€¦

So do I! And when Iā€™m strumming I find myself thinking about my foot tapping as well and check if my hand is going in sync :see_no_evil:
Iā€™m more able to relax with my classical guitar and little by little I feel my ear connecting more with my hands and with the fretboard. But heyā€¦itā€™s a journey to conquer ourselves, isnā€™t it? Feeling deeply engaged in our practice, developing much self-awareness, find out more what works for us and what doesnā€™t etcā€¦

Heheheā€¦that feels so better! Iā€™ve put a lot of effort and I still try and see if I can play my acoustic on the right legā€¦but no way, my right shoulder hurts and after some swearing the guitar comes back on the left leg. The only thing that prevents me for giving it up itā€™s that I tap my left foot as well and the guitar moves a lot with it :see_no_evil:

Iā€™m glad to read your work is allowing you more time for your guitar, Iā€™m quite at the opposite at the momentā€¦

Now I really have to ask you, but you allow yourself the option of not replyingā€¦I really would like some Blues AVOYP from youā€¦you sayā€¦

Rarely I have something where I want it to be (you rememberā€¦Ana :shushing_face:) but Iā€™m happy with myself anyway, and you seem too as you say you never get bored of playing ā€œthemā€.
Ok, no need for a reply to thisā€¦only the feedback from other guitar enthusiasts as we all are here is soo valuable and helpful, and I thought it wouldnā€™t harm to mention this.

Hopefully I havenā€™t annoyed you too much!

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand what youā€™re saying Tony.
When I compare the two positions, everything now feels a bit bunched up with the guitar on the right leg. The left leg position allows more freedom to move around the fretboard.

1 Like

Itā€™s certainly a journey to conquer, Silvia. Or at least try to conquer!
Little by little, we get nearerā€¦

Now donā€™t go getting all excited at my mention of Classical, I arenā€™t about to try to emulate you or Ana doodah!

Recordings? Nah, itā€™s not my thing. Iā€™m quite happy doing what Iā€™m doing and providing my own feedback. Iā€™m a lot more critical than most on this forum, but I can also hear the good things in my playingā€¦.occasionally! :wink:
Youā€™re welcome to come and see us when Iā€™m in a band playing live music. :smiley:

:guitar: Burning Ambitions

2 Likes

David @BurnsRhythm

As always your LL are interesting and you seem to give an honest view of where you are.

Your direction of travelling with transcribing and blues is heading off in a different direction to me but I guess this is in a way is what Justin anticipates at this stage.

Slightly surprised about changing how you hold the guitar, but if it works for you then go for it. Just wondering if you have tried playing standing up

Those of us who are or were 9 to 5ers donā€™t always appreciate how much your workload as a farmer varies with the seasons.

Michael

1 Like

Hi Michael @MAT1953

JG courses cover a wide range of styles and interest and they allow us to follow our own individual path.
I donā€™t have the time now and the years left to learn everything so it makes sense to narrow it down to what interests me.

I was a bit surprised at moving the guitar onto my left leg too because I dismissed that position a while back.
I always use the strap now and the guitar isnā€™t really sitting on my leg, itā€™s sitting on the strap. When I tried that on the right leg, the strap didnā€™t really do any good so I put it in a cupboard!
The old bones like a rest at the end of the day so I play mostly sitting - but now, if I stand, it plays just the same.

Seasons!!@?! The ground is very tender and sticky and yesterdayā€™s contracting work didnā€™t go well, taking twice as long as it should have !!@?! - donā€™t ask!!

2 Likes

Itā€™s a strange time right now.
My Dad died in mid June and I havenā€™t touched the guitar since.
I know Iā€™ll get back to it sometime but Iā€™ve lost my mojo for it. It doesnā€™t seem important at the moment.
Dad was 91 and itā€™s been hard watching him slowly fade into an old man. I donā€™t want to remember him like that. Iā€™d rather remember the influential figure he was.
He and Mum were married for 67 years. Sheā€™s 90 and not in the best of health, although sheā€™s coping very well with it all.
There are very few of their generation left now but despite that, the farming community of all generations came to pay their respects and filled the church to overflowing. It was hard to stand up and address them at the funeral, but somehow I got through it.

R.I.P Dad

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that David. Huge condolences.

When its time its time and the mojo will start flowing again. Somethings in life are more important than music or playing. Just take care.

:cry:

1 Like