šŸŽø BurnsRhythmā€™s Burning Ambitions

Hi David, 2 years inā€¦and 1 month almost as Iā€™m a bit late in my reply, I actually read your update when you posted it then I got lost in life but I Iā€™m finding sometime today to comment :sweat_smile:

2 years inā€¦wow! And itā€™s nice you have identified a genre you want to dive in deeper as Blues, I was happy to read your ideas and plans are quite clear. Also about what you wrote about the singing, like anything else it requires commitment and when one 'spare time is not much one needs to choose what he/she enjoys the most and is not perceived as too difficult! For meā€¦Iā€™m putting the Blues aside for the moment, I like the Blues but other things seem more achievable for me and thus more motivatingā€¦ thereā€™s a short Blues Section in the Method Book Iā€™m using, but Iā€™m skipping it at the momentā€¦I hope to learn some Blues in the future using Justinā€™s resources.

Visualisation is something I learned to use too and it wasnā€™t that easy at the beginning , but I can visualise a musicsheet, a chord shape, a melody and sing/hear it in my mind.

As for audiation you may find this of some interest, if you havenā€™t checked it already

Gordonā€™s Music Theory is very popular here and there are many music schools that promote his method, especially starting from newborns on.

I wish you can find in 2024 as much time as you wish for learning and playing guitar! :blush:

1 Like

@SILVIA

Hi Silvia, thanks for checking out my log.
Yes, Iā€™ve found a path to follow by learning more about the Blues. Although the Blues Studies module is in Grade4, itā€™s quite basic so far, so I feel okay doing it as it follows on quite nicely from the Blues in Grade2. Iā€™m also working slowly through the first module of Grade3.

Iā€™m finding visualisation and audiation very useful. Iā€™m certainly no expert with it, like everything else, itā€™s a skill that builds the more you do it.
You say that you can visualise a music sheetā€¦hmmā€¦I donā€™t try to do that. I start by reading the tab and visualising the fingering and imagining the sound. Iā€™m now at a stage with my Blues pieces that I donā€™t need the tab. I can play it or visualise it from memory but I donā€™t visualise the tab itself, just the playing of it.

Thanks for the link. Iā€™ve bookmarked the GIML website. Havenā€™t read any of it yet but I will be doing. :face_with_monocle: :smiley:

Happy New Year! :boom::guitar:

1 Like

David Iā€™m no expert either and I agree the more you do it the more you can do it.

Iā€™m getting to this eventually, but at the beginning it seemed too difficult for me and I visualised the fingering by singing the notes in my head as Do re mi ectā€¦as I well know where the notes are on the fretboard, first 5 frets at least, even if my knowledge is expanding with time and practice.

1 Like

@SILVIA
Silvia, it looks like our approach to visualisation is slightly different but I donā€™t think that matters. We each find a way that works for us and develop it from there.
The end result is that it makes it easier to learn a song and from my limited experience so far, the song becomes more ingrained in my memory and speeds up the learning a bit. Early days butā€¦.

2 Likes

February 2024 - Update

Practice has been going reasonably well over the last couple of months.

BLUES
Iā€™ve continued playing and practicing the Vari Shuffle Climb and the Lickin Riff pieces. Theyā€™re becoming ingrained in my memory and I can keep cycling around the 12 bars, mixing it up between all the different elements. Polishing it all up will no doubt be a never ending process.

GRADE 3
I spent a week or two on the D chord explorer improving on the sus chords.
Linking chords with scales was quite straightforward and I have a similar thing going on in the Blues.
Moving open chordsā€¦didnā€™t do much with this except play along with Justin in the lesson.

Greensleves
This is what Iā€™ve been spending time on in the last few weeks. I watched the rolling chords lesson. So obviously itā€™s about fingerpicking - which I donā€™t do - I decided to learn the song but playing it with a pick. Itā€™s not memorised yet, thatā€™s a work in progress. Itā€™s easy to play but hard to get right in terms of dynamics in order to bring out the music. I have a tendency to strum the chords a bit hard, which drowns out the melody note. Iā€™m working on it, trying to get a good bass note then stroking the middle part of the chord before a bit more attack on the melody note.
One of the things that has stood out for me about playing this way is playing the melody note on the beat. So the last note of the chord is on the beat, not the usual first note. Interesting !
Getting Greensleeves right ainā€™t easy. I had thought of just spending a certain amount of time on it and then moving on. Iā€™m having second thoughts now. If I can nail playing this with a pick, itā€™s going to do wonders for my pick accuracy and control and that can only be a good thing for my overall playing.

Iā€™m enjoying what Iā€™m doing - bringing some melody into my playing in both the blues and with learning chord melody. Itā€™s far more fun than strum strumming chord progressions for songs.

:guitar: David

5 Likes

David @BurnsRhythm
Sounds as though you are getting on nicely. I admire your determination to have a go at Greensleeves I am keeping away from it as l never got the hang of Happy Birthday in Grade 2.
If you like playing melody when strumming, I know you say you are not into finger picking but it is worth a look you might be surprised.
Michael

1 Like

I do and it may be. I have said this to others but Iā€™m pretty sure that what I hear is not what others hear. There is not a lot I can do about my hearing so having to make the best of what I have left.

1 Like

I have found this hard and have only really managed to make head way with C>G>C. D>A>D is just awkward. Not really seeing how this will fit with anything that I am practicing at the moment.

2 Likes

@MAT1953

Michael,
I tried fingerpicking in Grade2 but didnā€™t like the sound of my finger pads on electric guitar (donā€™t want nails) so I didnā€™t take it any further.

Greensleves is a simple arrangement but Iā€™m learning so much from it in my first foray into chord melody.
I can see how, as someone who is singing and playing, that chord melody may not be a priority for you.

1 Like

@Stuartw

Stuart,
My hearing is fine so itā€™s difficult for me to relate to your problems.
I read somewhere that being hard of hearing shouldnā€™t be a barrier to developing your musical ear. I guess it doesnā€™t make it any easier though!
Iā€™m also thinking that youā€™re ear is developing, so you are on the right track. Keep going!

You could try linking chords in any song. Keep it simple at first.
If you have a song where the chords change from C in the last bar of the verse to G in the first bar of the chorus (or G to C), try a link in the last bar of the verse to announce the chorus.

1 Like

David @BurnsRhythm

I can understand what you do long finger nails might not be a good idea. Of course there is a simple answer buy an acoustic guitar!

Ok you have persuaded will have a go at Greensleeves.

Michael

1 Like

Iā€™m with you here Stuart, albeit Iā€™ve got most chord links worked out but incorporating into songs Iā€™ve not really grasped properly. @BurnsRhythm Thanks for the nudge David, i know itā€™s obvious that it can work in any song, I think my challenge has been in timing the link.

1 Like

@MAT1953
Okay, Iā€™ve put an acoustic guitar on the list. Itā€™s not near the top though!

@Notter
Fully understand Mark, the timing is important.
Itā€™s a bit like chord changes, you can get them to a point where theyā€™re easy as an exercise and then it all goes pear shaped in songs.
I find itā€™s good to keep it simple. A simple strum pattern in the bar with the link, even as simple as a down strum on beats 1 and 2 then the link notes on beats 3 and 4, then ramp the rhythm up to continue.

1 Like

Hi David, thanks for your update, it was a good reading!

No itā€™s not, I agreeā€¦thereā€™s so much going on , it needs time and practice but itā€™s very rewarding when you first nail the single aspects and the tune eventually.

Ainā€™t that tricky?! It got me months of practice to be able to do this! (Rolling chords fingerpicking)

Iā€™m sure Justin did a song lesson where he shows and explains this technique to strum the chord and get the melody note ringing out nicely, kind of as if it were a rolling chord, but with a pickā€¦I think itā€™s a Beatles songā€¦give me sometime to check and see if I can find it again.

Totally agree! How was that old tune? :notes::notes:all I need is Melodyā€¦Melody is all I need! :notes::notes: ahā€¦noā€¦that was ā€œloveā€ :joy: ā€¦which is kind of the same!

1 Like

@SILVIA

Thanks Silvia.
Yep, Greensleves is certainly trickier than it looks.
Itā€™s an old, old song and one of those that seems to have been ingrained in my memory forever. I may have played it on Recorder way back in school, though I donā€™t remember doing so!
Iā€™ve always liked melody too so itā€™s good to be learning chord melody now. Itā€™s better than just strumming the chords.
Iā€™m okay with the melody note of the chord being on the beat, although Iā€™m only playing it to a foot tap for now. The test will come when I play it to the metronome!

1 Like

I thought Iā€™d log this here in case I (or you!) need it to gee me up a bit further down the lineā€¦

I had to go into town yesterday for an appointment and I was a bit early so I popped into a little pub that we used to go to (among many others) when we were having a night out in town many many years ago. Itā€™s not a big pub at all, quite narrow, squeezed in between two shops, but back then there was usually live music on.
It was around lunchtime when I went in and the only people there were a couple of old codgers having a pint in the corner and the landlady.
There is a little bandstand with a drum kit, a couple of electric guitars and some speakers etcā€¦so obviously music is still a thing there.

I had a chat with the landlady and they have live music every night!
Sundays from 3 till 9, and Mondays 7 till 11 are open mics.

She said the open mic crowd are a friendly, supportive group and are a mix of experienced and newbie performers.
The bloke who runs the open mics is an experienced guitarist who plays in a few bands and is also a guitar teacher.
She said heā€™s very helpful to anyone who needs it and often picks up his guitar and backs them.

I canā€™t sing to save my life but I intend to go along sometime just for a look-see.
Hopefully I can meet people and some sort of team up, jam buddies, whateverā€¦ may be possible in the future.

Iā€™ll be 65 in July. If I havenā€™t been by thenā€¦.somebody give me a kick up the jacksi !

7 Likes

David @BurnsRhythm
Interesting.
I have only one comment to make as Nike says ā€œJust do itā€
Michael
PS Age is just a number donā€™t let that put you off - sorry thatā€™s two comments.
Michael

3 Likes

Blimey!
Iā€™ve just been awarded yet another badge - Devotee

Apparently, Iā€™ve visited this community for 365 consecutive days!
Blimey!

I need to get a life!! :smile_cat:

4 Likes

David @BurnsRhythm
Even Christmas Day!!!

1 Like

Even Christmas Day!
In my job, itā€™s no different to any other day - except thereā€™s turkey in the middle of itā€¦!

1 Like