Buying a guitar - do you get the one hanging on the rack or a new one in a box?

I completely believe you! I know myself and I generally do change my likes over time. Iā€™ve got so much learning to do at guitar, that I think with my acoustic, an electric with some single coils (from my dad) , and one with only humbuckers (one Iā€™ll buy myself), that should be plenty to keep me entertained for a long while (years).

The thought of owning three guitars is a wild thought right now, considering I only know 8 chords and literally nothing else in the way of technique! But Iā€™ve got to start somewhere and I like having some variety up front.

And I think thatā€™s the part that is bothering me right now- is that I feel very limited by my skill, and also by my lack of variety of instruments. Yet I dont want a bunch of instruments either, so this guitar journey feels a bit conflicting for me right now.

Iā€™ll be interested to see what you get in the coming months, and what guitars you might be changing from.

1 Like

For anyone interested, I did push myself to handle some guitars in person yesterday. I didnā€™t plug any in, I just sat with them and felt their weight and shape and finishes. Tragic plot twist- I didnā€™t love the Ibanezes they had, which were two AZ series models and an RG something or other that was quite heavy. I want to find an S series model somewhere because I think theyā€™re sleeker and contoured. Two PRS SE models felt ok, but I think I donā€™t like the bulk of a rounded body style all that much because Iā€™m a small framed person. Strats felt good. And so did an LTD H1001 that was in the used section, in great condition. And itā€™s not dark blue! Hmmmm, haha.

3 Likes

If you can, try a Gibson SG.

Cheers,

Keith

@Majik
What about something like an ES-339 for a small framed person?

Good on you :smiley: did you have fun exploring the various options? When are you planning to go and see some more now :wink: Just have to keep looking until you find the one you want to take home with you.

1 Like

I keep coming back to this question with thoughts. Guess it is time to put them up here :slight_smile:

Title asks if you should buy the one on the rack. I have a bit of a long story here. The short story is that I have had good and bad buying experiences both off the rack and unseen. Here is the long story:

When I decided to learn guitar, I initially bought a low budget S-type ā€œkitā€ that had a dismal practice amp, cord, guitar, and sundry stuff. It had problems that should not have been on a new product - the volume needed to be rotated several times to clean it before it worked, the cord needed to be held off to the side or it would lose connection, the frets were so sharp they tore up my hand. I was happy to have something and knew i could fix these problems. Then, my wife asked to try it. She handled it for maybe 30 seconds and said ā€œthis is junk, letā€™s get you a good oneā€. So the budget guitar got packaged back up and returned.
A couple days later, we were in our local big-name guitar store. My wife pointed at something on the wall before we even walked half way to it and exclaimed"that one". It turned out to be a PRS SE Tremonti. She didnā€™t care it was 4x the cost of the budget guitar. It was sold as ā€œnewā€ with warranty and all. When I got it home, I noticed that at least one of the pickups was odd. Turned out someone had owned it before (so wasnā€™t new!) and had swapped out the Tremonti branded pickups with something from Gibson. I clearly couldnā€™t register this as new, so contacted the store who were happy to order me a new one. I learned that I really need to watch what is on the shelf at that store, examine everything about the guitar and investigate before making my purchase. They were happy to sell a used guitar as new, and it was even back on the new shelf a few weeks after I returned it, letting them know it had been altered.

About 8 months later, it was my birthday and I wanted a guitar with single coils. I wanted a different neck feel as well (thinner and non-glossy), and a bit lighter if I could. I researched split coils, tapped coils, the sound of different brands, opinions on neck shape, etc. I finally decided on the Ibanez S series. The one I found was a floor demo in another town and the salesman suggested I donā€™t want it because it has seen a lot of handling. I found another model that was similar, but missing one feature, and had a pretty finish (SEW761CW). I bought this unseen, mail order. I have been very happy with it and expect my research played the major role in my satisfaction.

As others have said, your goals will change. I tried a V-shape neck and think I probably want one of those now. I also think Iā€™d like an acoustic, which I really would have declined 2 years ago.
Buying something without much experience to compare it with is risky, but you cannot get that experience without taking the risk. I am usually successful using the method on the Ibanez - research to make an informed decision, and donā€™t expect inferior quality to result in satisfaction.

Bit of a long story, but maybe you can pull some wisdom from my lack of experience as a new guitarist.

1 Like

Yes I did! There werenā€™t very many people in the store, so I didnā€™t have any eyes on me, and that was key. But I got a good bit of hands-on, and I got a good look at amps too, which Iā€™ve been reading up on. I think Iā€™ll opt for the Boss Katana 50 mk2 (model name something like that) but thatā€™s another thread for another day!

When am I going to see more? Today! Itā€™s the weekend, so why not drive around to a few shops? I got money to spend anytime, just gotta figure out where to spend it.

@sequences very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Yes thatā€™s one of my fears, when shopping as a beginner, to fall prey to something due to lack of knowledge. Thereā€™s only so much the internet can tell you, and youā€™re right, you have to start somewhere. Sometimes what you want isnā€™t even available! Then what? I suppose if I had a really knowledgeable musician to take with me, that would be the thing to do. But I donā€™t have one and I suspect most people donā€™t. Iā€™m glad it worked out with the Ibanez. An S series is on my list to try, if I can only find one!

I would insist on only being willing to take home a guitar that Iā€™ve actually played first. If that means they have to grab a new one for me to try instead of the demo model, thatā€™s fine by me.

Good question. In the past two years Iā€™ve bought two Taylors, both of which were on display and the only ones left of that model. Both stores are reputable guitar retailers. I then bought my Strat from Peach Guitars in Colchester. Itā€™s appointment only (like buying a car). I tried several models. The one I selected was brand spanking new. In future Iā€™ll only buy from Peach - a superb experience

1 Like

Only if you do not consider Gibson a decent brand :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Everybody is different and you know yourself better than we know you but at beginner stage, I think you cannot know what you will be wanting from your guitar in 5 years. But you may be lucky that the guitar you bought 5 years ago is still perfect for you.

I think $1500 is a lot of money for an electric guitar for a beginner. ~$500 - $800 is probably the best value range, a guitar in this range would play and sound really well and could be used even in professional settings.

You are of course free to spend your money however you like but I would not close the door to the idea that J may want a different guitar in a few years. Luckily, second hand guitars usually keep a decent chink of their value.

As a Gibson owner this hurts my heart, lol!

You more than do it justice Alexis!!
:slight_smile:

Easily:

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Scott Poley is a fab pedal steel guitar player. I saw him play with Joe Topping at the tiny Elephant cafe in Parkgate a couple of years ago :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alex Turner is playing a Mexican Strat here:

I believe this is also the guitar they recorded their debut album with.

I saw him with Rumours of Fleetwood Mac last year. An amazing guitar player all round I would say.

Cheers,

Keith

good thing your not a lefty. They might have 1 lefty in stock. usually old dusty and hidden. have to order without getting a true feel for it

I bought both my PRS and Epiphone accoustic sight unseen. The PRS was mint and in terms of packaging, setup was perfect. The epiphone was not, it was from Andersonā€™s and had some very slight imperfections around the binding on the sound holeā€¦ however a quick call and they arranged a collection. They didnā€™t have another in so refunded me that day. I then bought another from a different shop and that arrived nicely setup and in perfect condition.

Most online stores have very good return policies now and usually 30 days no question asked. Generally return is at their cost as well.

1 Like