Buying a guitar - do you get the one hanging on the rack or a new one in a box?

Did you find any issues with the sound or feel of the guitar? Or did it look lackluster compared to the brilliant hi def photos the website used?

Stacy @artax_2
There is a bit more detail on my recent acquisition of acoustic in the link.Michaelā€™s birthday NGD

I had done a lot of research before I went to the shop so I knew what I was after and also ones that were very similar in the Yamaha range and was able to try one of them. I was more interested in neck width and radius, string spacing as I knew it would be different to my classical guitar. I donā€™t think there are any issues with the set up but I am only just getting to the end of Grade 1 so not knowledgeable enough. Will probably get it looked at in the next few months when I can find a local luthier.
As appearance, the Yamaha web site has pretty good quality photos and seen similar ones in the shop so was not disappointed when it came out of the box.
It came from Yamahaā€™s London Store and it had definitely not been repackaged, you have to trust your supplier on that score.
Hope this helps.
Michael :guitar:

This concept is tough for me. I am a collector of many things but I donā€™t want to collect guitars! I have limited space and just donā€™t want to have a rack full, so I was sort of wanting to buy one electric to grow into for the next decade.

And I am willing to spend quite a bit too. But it is hard to do that at this beginner stage. Some feedback I have gotten is to just buy something in the style I like, in the color I like, so that I will, as you also mentioned, want to play it. I have compiled a wish list of features for an electric that has resulted in, evidently, a guitar that is hard to find or doesnā€™t exist (this is SO me to do something like this!) Basically, an S shape body, with a fixed bridge, with a passive humbucker at the bridge, in the $850-$1500 range, in a dark blue, preferably an Ibanez because that is my dream brand.

Side note, I will collect at least two electrics, because in a few weeks Iā€™m going to see my sweet dad, who is giving me a Squier Bullet that heā€™s had in his collection. That will be my first electric. I probably wouldnā€™t have opted for a Bullet on my own, but I will take it and also love it, because it was his, and appreciate that he gave me both my first acoustic many years ago, and soon my first electric as well.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a beauty! I think its possible to have a great experience buying online, this is a great example. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@roger_holland how was your experience buying the guitar with no head and buttocks online? Thatā€™s a really interesting one as was an international purchase based on the individual photos of the guitar on the store website.

GOOD question actually!

On should always ask when testing it because depending on the popularity of the model and logistics and policy of the store, that might differ.

I must admit I ordered a guitar I NEVER played, I have NEVER seen and has a premium brand and dito price tag. Lukily, the guitar itself passed throgh the hands of said brandā€™s custom shop luthier.

I did the same for a custom guitar, only knowing ā€œI like the feel and scale length of a typical Jaguarā€.

Still, some shops, like Bax shop in Belgium and The Netherlands, sport a ā€œlonger than typicalā€ return period (like 60 days) which should be more than enough time to exmaine your specimen.

I did the same but not a premium guitar, just a Epiphone Inspired by Gibson ES-335. It was difficult to get a hold of one due to the shortage resulting from Covid and the subsequent increase in demand. Eventually, two became available in the colour that I wanted and I quickly selected one based on the photos of them before someone beat me to them as they were going fast at the time. Thankfully, it was from the same store Iā€™ve bought a previous guitar from which has a superb reputation. The guitar was given the quality check by one of the store luthiers and set up before dispatch. Very happy with the purchase and have built up a good relationship with the sales person which I think is important.

1 Like

What you might find is that as you play more, what you want changes :grinning:. Nothing wrong with getting an awesome guitar! I also plan to get a better electric in a few months. Just know what you like to play might change. If you donā€™t want to collect, there are plenty of places to buy and sell guitars (Facebook marketplace where I live is popular). Or, you might get a forever guitar!

I just know so many people that have been playing for longer than me that took a while to discover the guitars they like. Les Paul guys who discovered they like strats better or whatever. Buying and playing guitars is an emotional experience, buy a guitar you absolutely love.

I bought a guitar I thought was pretty awesome and Iā€™m now wanting something different :joy:.

Hi James,
I didnā€™t buy this one across the borderā€¦I typed in the brand and copied the first pictureā€¦normally I buy from Thomann Germany (oh I often have to wait there for a long time, but otherwise perfect and super good solution when something goes wrong (and thatā€™s the most important) )ā€¦ This Ibanez came from Dijkman music from the Netherlands ā€¦ only 1 working day(That is 3 guitar playing days) having to waitā€¦
Greetingsā€¦

1 Like

I completely believe you! I know myself and I generally do change my likes over time. Iā€™ve got so much learning to do at guitar, that I think with my acoustic, an electric with some single coils (from my dad) , and one with only humbuckers (one Iā€™ll buy myself), that should be plenty to keep me entertained for a long while (years).

The thought of owning three guitars is a wild thought right now, considering I only know 8 chords and literally nothing else in the way of technique! But Iā€™ve got to start somewhere and I like having some variety up front.

And I think thatā€™s the part that is bothering me right now- is that I feel very limited by my skill, and also by my lack of variety of instruments. Yet I dont want a bunch of instruments either, so this guitar journey feels a bit conflicting for me right now.

Iā€™ll be interested to see what you get in the coming months, and what guitars you might be changing from.

1 Like

For anyone interested, I did push myself to handle some guitars in person yesterday. I didnā€™t plug any in, I just sat with them and felt their weight and shape and finishes. Tragic plot twist- I didnā€™t love the Ibanezes they had, which were two AZ series models and an RG something or other that was quite heavy. I want to find an S series model somewhere because I think theyā€™re sleeker and contoured. Two PRS SE models felt ok, but I think I donā€™t like the bulk of a rounded body style all that much because Iā€™m a small framed person. Strats felt good. And so did an LTD H1001 that was in the used section, in great condition. And itā€™s not dark blue! Hmmmm, haha.

3 Likes

If you can, try a Gibson SG.

Cheers,

Keith

@Majik
What about something like an ES-339 for a small framed person?

Good on you :smiley: did you have fun exploring the various options? When are you planning to go and see some more now :wink: Just have to keep looking until you find the one you want to take home with you.

1 Like

I keep coming back to this question with thoughts. Guess it is time to put them up here :slight_smile:

Title asks if you should buy the one on the rack. I have a bit of a long story here. The short story is that I have had good and bad buying experiences both off the rack and unseen. Here is the long story:

When I decided to learn guitar, I initially bought a low budget S-type ā€œkitā€ that had a dismal practice amp, cord, guitar, and sundry stuff. It had problems that should not have been on a new product - the volume needed to be rotated several times to clean it before it worked, the cord needed to be held off to the side or it would lose connection, the frets were so sharp they tore up my hand. I was happy to have something and knew i could fix these problems. Then, my wife asked to try it. She handled it for maybe 30 seconds and said ā€œthis is junk, letā€™s get you a good oneā€. So the budget guitar got packaged back up and returned.
A couple days later, we were in our local big-name guitar store. My wife pointed at something on the wall before we even walked half way to it and exclaimed"that one". It turned out to be a PRS SE Tremonti. She didnā€™t care it was 4x the cost of the budget guitar. It was sold as ā€œnewā€ with warranty and all. When I got it home, I noticed that at least one of the pickups was odd. Turned out someone had owned it before (so wasnā€™t new!) and had swapped out the Tremonti branded pickups with something from Gibson. I clearly couldnā€™t register this as new, so contacted the store who were happy to order me a new one. I learned that I really need to watch what is on the shelf at that store, examine everything about the guitar and investigate before making my purchase. They were happy to sell a used guitar as new, and it was even back on the new shelf a few weeks after I returned it, letting them know it had been altered.

About 8 months later, it was my birthday and I wanted a guitar with single coils. I wanted a different neck feel as well (thinner and non-glossy), and a bit lighter if I could. I researched split coils, tapped coils, the sound of different brands, opinions on neck shape, etc. I finally decided on the Ibanez S series. The one I found was a floor demo in another town and the salesman suggested I donā€™t want it because it has seen a lot of handling. I found another model that was similar, but missing one feature, and had a pretty finish (SEW761CW). I bought this unseen, mail order. I have been very happy with it and expect my research played the major role in my satisfaction.

As others have said, your goals will change. I tried a V-shape neck and think I probably want one of those now. I also think Iā€™d like an acoustic, which I really would have declined 2 years ago.
Buying something without much experience to compare it with is risky, but you cannot get that experience without taking the risk. I am usually successful using the method on the Ibanez - research to make an informed decision, and donā€™t expect inferior quality to result in satisfaction.

Bit of a long story, but maybe you can pull some wisdom from my lack of experience as a new guitarist.

1 Like

Yes I did! There werenā€™t very many people in the store, so I didnā€™t have any eyes on me, and that was key. But I got a good bit of hands-on, and I got a good look at amps too, which Iā€™ve been reading up on. I think Iā€™ll opt for the Boss Katana 50 mk2 (model name something like that) but thatā€™s another thread for another day!

When am I going to see more? Today! Itā€™s the weekend, so why not drive around to a few shops? I got money to spend anytime, just gotta figure out where to spend it.

@sequences very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Yes thatā€™s one of my fears, when shopping as a beginner, to fall prey to something due to lack of knowledge. Thereā€™s only so much the internet can tell you, and youā€™re right, you have to start somewhere. Sometimes what you want isnā€™t even available! Then what? I suppose if I had a really knowledgeable musician to take with me, that would be the thing to do. But I donā€™t have one and I suspect most people donā€™t. Iā€™m glad it worked out with the Ibanez. An S series is on my list to try, if I can only find one!

I would insist on only being willing to take home a guitar that Iā€™ve actually played first. If that means they have to grab a new one for me to try instead of the demo model, thatā€™s fine by me.

Good question. In the past two years Iā€™ve bought two Taylors, both of which were on display and the only ones left of that model. Both stores are reputable guitar retailers. I then bought my Strat from Peach Guitars in Colchester. Itā€™s appointment only (like buying a car). I tried several models. The one I selected was brand spanking new. In future Iā€™ll only buy from Peach - a superb experience

1 Like

Only if you do not consider Gibson a decent brand :slight_smile:

3 Likes