Buying a guitar - do you get the one hanging on the rack or a new one in a box?

Everybody is different and you know yourself better than we know you but at beginner stage, I think you cannot know what you will be wanting from your guitar in 5 years. But you may be lucky that the guitar you bought 5 years ago is still perfect for you.

I think $1500 is a lot of money for an electric guitar for a beginner. ~$500 - $800 is probably the best value range, a guitar in this range would play and sound really well and could be used even in professional settings.

You are of course free to spend your money however you like but I would not close the door to the idea that J may want a different guitar in a few years. Luckily, second hand guitars usually keep a decent chink of their value.

As a Gibson owner this hurts my heart, lol!

You more than do it justice Alexis!!
:slight_smile:

Easily:

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Scott Poley is a fab pedal steel guitar player. I saw him play with Joe Topping at the tiny Elephant cafe in Parkgate a couple of years ago :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alex Turner is playing a Mexican Strat here:

I believe this is also the guitar they recorded their debut album with.

I saw him with Rumours of Fleetwood Mac last year. An amazing guitar player all round I would say.

Cheers,

Keith

good thing your not a lefty. They might have 1 lefty in stock. usually old dusty and hidden. have to order without getting a true feel for it

I bought both my PRS and Epiphone accoustic sight unseen. The PRS was mint and in terms of packaging, setup was perfect. The epiphone was not, it was from Andersonā€™s and had some very slight imperfections around the binding on the sound holeā€¦ however a quick call and they arranged a collection. They didnā€™t have another in so refunded me that day. I then bought another from a different shop and that arrived nicely setup and in perfect condition.

Most online stores have very good return policies now and usually 30 days no question asked. Generally return is at their cost as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve came across this video lately, and it made a lot of sense

This probably deserves a separate discussion post

1 Like

I believe so. If you play stairway to heaven, they will let you have it free and they will kick you out of the store as it is the forbidden riff.

1 Like

So since I posted this question I have bought three guitars from storesā€“two from Guitar Center and one from a music shop. In two instances, I got the actual instrument I played off the rack. Both of them were pre-loved. The third was a brand new instrument, but it ended up being overdryed (an acoustic) and had fret buzz so I had to order it from the distribution center. It came unopened, and I opened it in front of the guitar tech who checked it over before I left.

So, if attempting to buy in person, basically it can literally go either way!

1 Like