Buzzing sound

Good Morning,
I was wondering if I am doing something wrong. I get a kind of buzzing sound when i lift my finger off of the high e string when changing chords such as from d to a The string sounds fine until I lift my finger. I am still in beginner grade 1.

Thank You,

John Hardman

2 Likes

Hi John, can you clarify if this is mechanical or electrical buzzing? In other words are you playing an acoustic guitar or an electric, and if electric do you still get the buzzing if you play with no amp?

Good Morning,

Sorry, I am trying to learn on an acoustic guitar.

Thank You,
John

sounds like either the action is too low, or one of the first couple of frets is sitting too high. Unfortunately either cause will probably need a luthier to fix.

If you bought the guitar new from a local shop relatively recently it may be worth taking in for their advice.

1 Like

It might just be the timing. When your chord changes get faster, this should go away I think.
If I understand correctly it buzzes when you lift of your finger so there’s not enough pressure anymore.
When you hold the chord and strum it’s ok, right?

2 Likes

Is it this, or does it buzz if you play the open string?

Only when I lift my finger off. When I play the chord string by string it sounds good and as a full strum.

1 Like

Sounds more like timing then, effectively letting go “slowly” so the string vibrates on the finger tip for short while. That will improve with practice. You may also be strumming too hard causing the string to vibrate in a wider arc, maintaining contact longer as you begin to change chords. Try a gentler attack, see if that helps.
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

It will get better with practice. Don’t worry too much.

3 Likes

Thank You all. I know I have to get faster on chord changes. Thank You.

1 Like

I think Toby is on the right path. The string is vibrating against the fret as you release pressure.

The other thing you can do is try to get the offending finger closer to the fret. On a D, you should be able to do that. On A, finger 1 is harder to do that since the other two are in the way. Fretting too far back behind the fret will give you buzzing when you start to release your finger.

Try it with just one finger on a fret. place it back off the fret a little then lift off slowly, you will hear the buzz. Then try it properly behind the fret and lift off slowly and it won’t buzz through nearly as much of the release distance so you won’t really notice.

I fight this on some chords above around the 7th fret.

2 Likes

A video would be easier to make comment with.

Does the string play fine open?

Are you catching the string with another finger/palm?

etc

Thank You, After trying and really looking at my fingers, you are right. I need to get closer to the fret and lift my finger off faster. After playing the d chord I am thinking of placing my fingers for the next chord too much I guess.
Thank You so much,
John

2 Likes

So glad that you asked this question John.

I have the same issue. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my guitar somehow.

Just couldn’t figure it out, so frustrating. All the great advise here now makes a bit of sense of it.

Hopefully we can both sort it out now.

2 Likes