BYE BYE LOVE Cover

I feel the same, Pam :smiling_face:

When you apply EQ, you have three settings to work with: the target frequency, the gain, and the Q. So let’s say on track 3 you choose to make a boost ie increase in gain by say 5dB at 800Hz. You could set a wide Q so the boost comes in gradually from say 500Hz, peaks at 800Hz, and gradually tapers off by 1100Hz. By the way, I have no idea if that is sensible or not, just arbitrary numbers to illustrate. Then on track 4 you would set up a cut ie decrease in gain by -5dB at 800Hz with the same Q setting.

So the only difference in the EQ on each track is that one is a boost and the other is a cut. You may repeat that process and perhaps boost on track 4 at 2000Hz with similar gain and Q settings and add the cut on track 3.

The idea being that the EQ settings change the guitar tone in a subtle but noticeable way and doing it in the way described enhances the difference between the two tracks.

The key to success with double-tracked parts ie the same part played twice or just duplicated tracks is having sufficient difference that when panned you have that fuller, wider sound. And the way you work with panning and levels will influence the end result from just something that sounds a little fuller but still fairly narrow in the middle to something with much more width. No rules, just lots of creative potential.

Sometimes I even find when working with lots of tracks, different instruments, that you can’t really hear the double-tracked part in an obvious way but if you mute the tracks then suddenly the mix sounds the poorer for it, a little thin.

As many say, the only way to get good at mixing/producing is to mix/produce many many many songs eg Roman and Leo.

Hope that makes sense now.

1 Like

Hey Clint! Very impressive and inspiring. I must say, I’ve had to put my own spin on some of my covers simply because I couldn’t play or sing like the original (i.e., HEY YA & I’D RATHER GO BLIND), but to do it with my own interpretation, I’ve not tried that - yet! :wink: Thanks for sharing!

@Fourtwo42 Hey Neil. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it. Thank you for the vote to keep the Intro out. I need to tally the count on here. Some were yes, some no and some neutral. Maybe one day, I can update it.

@DavidP Thanks for explaining the “ mirror” technique. It makes sense.

I agree. Truly, I could never reach their level, but like I told Silvia:

1 Like

@pkboo3
Hi Pamela!
Great performance!
The song may be simple, but it is very beautiful.
And you managed to do everything right :+1:
Hmmmm… I have never used a “harmonizer”, need to try it sometime :grinning:
Leo

Hey Leo! @crocodile1 Nice to hear from you. Yes, It has been a fun one. I added it to my Set List. Thank you for your nice comments. Yeah, harmonies and multiple tracks are why I wanted to try and learn the recording process

I think @crocodile1 might be referring to that bit of software that generates harmonies for you :wink:

:blush:thanks Brian. I wasn’t sure.

1 Like

Loved it pkboo nice harmonies!!! :slight_smile: just lovely

Ahhh I love seeing the Everly Brothers on here, and that was a lovely performance. It takes me back to listening to the Everly Brothers with my grandpa when he drove us to school. Thank you Pam for this lovely recording, and you have inspired me to put this on my list of songs to learn.

I thought the guitar sounded lovely but I was wondering if maybe you’re hearing the low E string as I didn’t see you muting it and I find it hard to miss when I’m strumming a full A major chord open like that.

Thank you, @Bytron08. Glad you enjoyed my harmonies.

Hey @eladeflow Dale. I’m happy I had a part in taking you back to a precious memory. If you learn this song, please share. I would love to hear your version of it.

I’ll take your advice on muting the E with the A chord. I know about that. Just need to keep it on my mind until it becomes muscle memory. I appreciate the reminder.