Bytron08 - March 2022 - Adele, Pink Floyd, Don Henley, Passenger, John Legend. & more

Nice one Byron. As Gordon has said, not an easy one to do. A nice mix of strumming and fingerstyle as well.

That was a great effort on a difficult song @Bytron08. Well played sir. :+1:

Thanks guys heres my second take on it with some lead hope you guys will like it! :smiley:

Byron,
Niceā€¦ I liked your doubled up vox, play and the roaming dog! Pretty good tone on the guitar too. You need to show us more of what you are doing. The mic covered up much of your strumming hand and the cam was a bit too close to catch you and the fretting hand. I know it is hard to get it just so though. But all in all, a fine job!

All the best to you,
LB

Hi Bytron:

I really loved this song when it came out-brings back great memories. When Justin introduced it as a lesson I added it to my list of songs to hopefully learn. I think you really did well with the rhythm of the song. The chords are fairly easy, just getting the riff in sync seems challenging to me. I like the microphone idea for recording videos. I think I need to do the same and get a microphone so people can better hear my vocals; not sure what kind to get yet.

Hello again figured i would do 2 songs this morning as i cant sleep lol. I do this a lil different and in my own way, hope you guys like it! :smiley: Wish You Were Here Cover - YouTube

5 Likes

Very nice! But you do look a bit tired! Hope you can catch up on the sleep later.

Good use of awake time, though and a smooth rendition. Thanks!

Wonderful playing Byron. You nailed that one.

You are quite prolific with you tunes and I was wondering if you have a top 5 campfire list that you do?

No I donā€™t but songs I know by heart that I could do at a campfire would be radioactive gold on the ceiling hero blue on black and maybe alright now

Ah Mr B, we always know what to expect when you perform. You are incredibly consistent and a really good rhythm guitarist. :slight_smile:

To me, this is a great song about being detached and not seeing things clearly. I view it as a cautionary tale of sorts. Stay passionate about life, see things clearly (yes, that again), connect with others, feel things and show some emotion.

Wow thanks CT for the encouragement! I look at this song as to just missing someone you love, hence wish you were here!!! Great song!!! But i get what your saying to guess it can go both ways!

You go with that, no worries. Play on playa!

Cool cover Bytron, keep on playing.

Love your productivity Bytron. You seem to be able to learn songs really quickly, although Iā€™d be surprised if you hadnā€™t had a go at this before- It seems like a right of passage for every guitar player :laughing:
I enjoyed your guitar playing- riffs & strumming solid and working well.
The alternative vocal melody didnā€™t really work for me. Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve probably listened to it too much since '75 :roll_eyes:
@CT I believe this is the first time Iā€™ve ever come across someone mentioning what the song means to them (apart from enjoyment). FWIW itā€™s always been a song about the sadness of ā€˜settling for lessā€™ in my head- giving up on ideals for small rewards and ending up in the little fish bowl etc.
One strength of a good song: lots of different meanings to different people in different scenarios :smiley:

Since this is being hijacked into an interpretive thread on the meaning of ā€œWish You Were Hereā€, I will add my take. Hope that is ok. Byron.

I see it as a melancholy lament on a lost love that made life choices taking them away from the singer based on a different world view and ideology. They are missed and there is a little resentment. Maybe I am too literal.

Interesting discussion. This is one of my all time favourite songs, for both the music and the lyrics. I remember as an 8 or 9 year old in the 70ā€™s, my older brother bringing the album home. At that time I was more interested in the burning man on the cover.
For me song has always been a lament on the lost soul of humanity, and a mass hypnosis as to our true nature. In a confusing, contradictory, and often crushing world, people, despite their best efforts and intentions, are wandering around in their lives, essentially lost and alone, with only superficial connections to each other. People are not REALLY here, because they donā€™t know who they REALLY are behind their many masks.
The 2 lost souls in the fishbowl I think are the lyricist and the rest of humanity
I think Roger/Davidā€™s lyrics reflect a deep spiritual sadness, and a longing for a world where all those masks would dissolve, and we would all wake up from the dream to find out who we really are.

And heavily influenced by the loss of Syd Barrett from the band.

Thanks guys!! Iā€™m happy to hear your thoughts on what the song means to you guys!! To me itā€™s just about wishing your loved one was here in a crazy world lol

Hey guys heres another one! I kinda did it in my own arrangement as i cant fingerpick really lol. Enjoy! Take 2 I kinda mess up the ending but its not to bad lol. Let Her Go Cover 2 - YouTube

6 Likes

Love it Byron, that intro/bridge certainly sound like a finger picking to me :slightly_smiling_face:

Great vocals