Bytron08 - March 2022 - Adele, Pink Floyd, Don Henley, Passenger, John Legend. & more

Love your productivity Bytron. You seem to be able to learn songs really quickly, although I’d be surprised if you hadn’t had a go at this before- It seems like a right of passage for every guitar player :laughing:
I enjoyed your guitar playing- riffs & strumming solid and working well.
The alternative vocal melody didn’t really work for me. I’m afraid I’ve probably listened to it too much since '75 :roll_eyes:
@CT I believe this is the first time I’ve ever come across someone mentioning what the song means to them (apart from enjoyment). FWIW it’s always been a song about the sadness of ‘settling for less’ in my head- giving up on ideals for small rewards and ending up in the little fish bowl etc.
One strength of a good song: lots of different meanings to different people in different scenarios :smiley:

Since this is being hijacked into an interpretive thread on the meaning of “Wish You Were Here”, I will add my take. Hope that is ok. Byron.

I see it as a melancholy lament on a lost love that made life choices taking them away from the singer based on a different world view and ideology. They are missed and there is a little resentment. Maybe I am too literal.

Interesting discussion. This is one of my all time favourite songs, for both the music and the lyrics. I remember as an 8 or 9 year old in the 70’s, my older brother bringing the album home. At that time I was more interested in the burning man on the cover.
For me song has always been a lament on the lost soul of humanity, and a mass hypnosis as to our true nature. In a confusing, contradictory, and often crushing world, people, despite their best efforts and intentions, are wandering around in their lives, essentially lost and alone, with only superficial connections to each other. People are not REALLY here, because they don’t know who they REALLY are behind their many masks.
The 2 lost souls in the fishbowl I think are the lyricist and the rest of humanity
I think Roger/David’s lyrics reflect a deep spiritual sadness, and a longing for a world where all those masks would dissolve, and we would all wake up from the dream to find out who we really are.

And heavily influenced by the loss of Syd Barrett from the band.

Thanks guys!! I’m happy to hear your thoughts on what the song means to you guys!! To me it’s just about wishing your loved one was here in a crazy world lol

Hey guys heres another one! I kinda did it in my own arrangement as i cant fingerpick really lol. Enjoy! Take 2 I kinda mess up the ending but its not to bad lol. Let Her Go Cover 2 - YouTube

6 Likes

Love it Byron, that intro/bridge certainly sound like a finger picking to me :slightly_smiling_face:

Great vocals

Thanks liaty!! Appreciate the comment!

That was a good one Byron, I enjoyed your version. Good note picking and vocal.

Thank you very much sir sairs!! :slight_smile:

Really good Byron, sounded great. How fast were those hands as well!

Nice work (again!) Byron :+1:

Thanks jkhan and notter!! Lol :slight_smile:

I actually dig this version of the intro.

Good cover of a good song. Well played Byron.

Looked like some finger picking was going on to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys!! :smiley:

You don’t need to fingerpick if you can pick like it as in the intro. Great job.

Thanks skinny for the encouragement!! :wink:

I liked it, Byron. Nice job.

Thanks willsie for the listen and comment!!