CAGED Logic

C major scale has no Sharp or Flat notes so it the easiest scale to remember. C D E F G A B
E Major scale has 4 sharp notes E F# G# A B C# D#

1 Like

Iā€™ve been spending some time getting familar with these shapes and swapping between A, E, C and D shape chords (Iā€™m not bothering much with G shape). However apart from the general benefit of teaching my fingers new positions, Iā€™m not sure how beneficial it is to learn the C D and G shapes, rather than sticking with E and A shapes plus open chords. I can see that if I get very slick at the changes it will be quicker to move between chords because I can stay on the same part of the neck rather than having to move up and down it. But is that it? Itā€™s going to take quite a bit of practice time for me to get that fast with the changes.

Late reply time ā€¦

At a guess, for playing full chords I would say that 90% of barre chord play is E-shape and A-shape with the C-shape will accounting for about 9% - often as a partial on strings 1-4 only. The D and G shapes are seldom used in full, if used they will also be played as partial shapes on a small group of strings only.

1 Like

Thanks @Richard_close2u , thatā€™s very helpful. Iā€™ve got the C shape ā€˜under my fingersā€™ now for the occasional song in which it features (intro to Under the Bridge is the one that Iā€™ve come across) and the D shape with an additional 3rd on the low E string because it sounds nice, but I doubt I will ever use anything but E and A shape barre chords for writing.

Greetings from Montreal - I have a guitar over here and iā€™m practicing diligently. Progress slow but steady! See you in a few weeks.

1 Like

Glad itā€™s helpful @john90
:slight_smile:
Enjoy Canada, see you in a bit.