CAGED Logic

View the full lesson at CAGED Logic | JustinGuitar

I don’t understand this lesson

What don’t you understand?

@Yuma
What are you struggling with? Can you give us a little more info so we can help you?
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to understand how the F# note appears when we move the A chord down to form the D chord (I get moving the B string one fret up) in Justin’s logic. I would’ve thought all the notes ‘fall’ one string down, but that doesn’t explain why we fret the F# since in the A chord the note that ‘falls’ is an open string note so I would expect it to wrap around as an open string note?

Many thanks!

Hi there,

The 3rd degree of the D major scale is F#, that’s why it needs to be present in the D chord.

@xoSauce welcome to the forum.
The A chord is 2nd fret on the B G D strings so in the example when Justin moves it down to the D chord he’s moving all three fingers to the 2nd fret but the B need to move up one fret.

I understand the need to move the B up one fret due to the tuning.

(For lack of better alternative I’ll introduce this notation: B1 → Fret1 of the B string, E0 → Unfretted E string, X mutted string)

So we have E0(B1G1D1)A0X → (E1B2G1)D0XE2 (to form the D chord), but it’s still not clear to me how the F#(E2) note pops up in this system. I know it’s present in the scale of D major, but I am not sure how it ties into the logic Justin presents in the video.

Many thanks and appologies if I am being thick :slight_smile:

@xoSauce

Justin is ensuring that the presentation of all chords spans all six strings - even for the chords that are ‘normally’ learned and played on five strings (C and A) or just four strings (D).
When creating the D chord, the dot that was at the second fret of the B string is seen as being pushed across one string to now sit on the second fret of the thin E string. That is the note F# as you know. Justin’s diagrams are showing all six strings remember. Up until this point ,the thin E string has only ever been viewed and needed as an open string, and so too has the thick E string. But now the thin E string is not open, it is fretted at fret 2. So, because they are an exact match for each other, the thick E string has to show the same note as the thin E string and so it too now has a fretted note at fret 2.
For all diagrams from this point on the thin and thick E strings will always be shown with a dot at the same fret.
Does that help?
Cheers
Richard

1 Like

That makes sense! Thanks Richard! You’re right, I didn’t realize that all chords were constructed from all 6 strings. It makes sense that you would mirror the thinnest E!

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Not sure I understand your notation, but the open A chord has B, G and D strings fretted at fret 2 (not fret 1). This is commonly written x02220. The B string fretted at fret 2 becomes the thin E string fretted at fret 2, which is the F#. The D chord: xx0212.

The D chord is xx0232. xx0212 is D7

1 Like

Ugh! Brain cramp. Of course, you’re right.

In any case, the 2nd fret B string of the A chord becomes the 2nd fret thin E string of the D chord, which is the F# note.