Californication - my first Strat recording

Very nicely done! How long have you been playing and how hard was this song to learn?

Hi,
Nicely done on all accounts. Liked this very much and it sounded like a great production.

Keep rockā€™n in 22,
LB

1 Like

Sounded really nice. Iā€™m going to throw in with @adi_mrok because I couldnā€™t really tell how much was your playing and how much was the original track. Itā€™s seems kind of normal on play along tracks without video. If the goal was to blend in with the original track, you nailed it.

:laughing:

Perhaps My My Hey Hey would be a good one or Heart of Gold. Justin has lessons for both. But given how you played Californication perhaps Needle and the Damage Done.

Edit

Just listened to your recording of Society. Sounds like you could play any NY song that takes your fancy. Seeing as you mentioned him, Iā€™m sure you have your own favourites and donā€™t need suggestions from me :grin:

Yeah, the goal is for me to mix it with drums and base like itā€™s part of it and not make the guitar stand out too much. But I just started recording. Might try with video but havenā€™t enough light in my room and just a cell phone to record.

Hi Trish
Iā€™ve been playing for 3 years now. Still a slightly advanced beginner. But I will attend a music school in January and had to play three songs to audition. This was one of them. Took me a couple of weeks to get all the parts together. But learned a lot in the process.

1 Like

I meant suggesting a new guitar model for me :sunglasses:

:rofl:

Oh right. Iā€™m probably less able to offer guitar advice than NY songs to play.

I suppose it would depend on the music you are wanting to play and the guitars you already have.

And your budget. :slight_smile:

If youā€™re looking for a nice acoustic, what roughly is your budget for one - there are some very nice acoustics around for not silly money!

That was terrific Eric. You really got the RHCP strat sound there!

@J.W.C @DarrellW @DavidP

Guess the choice and taste for acoustic guitars is very different. Iā€™ve got time to look for a new acoustic and want to try out a few before I decide. You guys might have a suggestion to try out in my local store. Price range around 800-1000 Dollars and an OM sized or similar (no dreadnought).

Have all a nice evening.
Eric

1 Like

Thanks for the listen and feedback.

You are definitely coaxing some nice sounds out of that Strat. Iā€™ll jump onboard with Adi and CT on the critique they gave. But overall this was a really nice performance. Well done.

If you look at this selection you could choose any from them and have a very nice guitar, my choice would be probably be between the two Furch guitars and the Seagull; with the Taylorā€™s and PRS SEā€™s following them.
https://www.thomannmusic.ch/cat_GK_giweso.html?sid=b43cbcb1e19a607b005bc8883e3fd6b9&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiY2giLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NDAsImxhbmd1YWdlIjoxfQ%3D%3D&reload=1&rating[]=5&rating[]=4&oa=prd&price-first=700&price-last=1000&feature-1434[]=APX&feature-1434[]=Angelus&feature-1434[]=CPX&feature-1434[]=Concert&feature-1434[]=GS%20Mini&feature-1434[]=Grand%20Auditorium&feature-1434[]=Newporter&feature-1434[]=Orchestra&feature-1434[]=Traditional%20Western&feature-1434[]=Travel%20Guitar&feature-1434[]=Nex&manufacturer[]=DAngelico&manufacturer[]=Fender&manufacturer[]=Furch&manufacturer[]=Guild&manufacturer[]=Hƶfner&manufacturer[]=PRS&manufacturer[]=Seagull&manufacturer[]=Takamine&manufacturer[]=Taylor&manufacturer[]=Yamaha&gk=GIWESO&filter=true

@MapleBrain - In that price range you might consider at a Yamaha Red Label FS3 or FSX3. Theyā€™re all solid wood (top, sides, back, neck, fingerboard), and the ones Iā€™ve played sound really nice.

@MapleBrain Very well done. Quite enjoyed listening to your version. Itā€™s faithful to the original.

1 Like

Thanks for the list. I will go to a guitar store mid January to try some acoustics. Theyā€™ve got all the brands you and @J.W.C have mentioned. Looking forward to trying someā€¦

1 Like

A bit late to the party Eric and itā€™s all been said above.
Just wanted to add thatā€™s some serious playing for 3 years in.
Well done for sharing and good luck with the music education :smiley:

Thanks @brianlarsen and yes, I need a bit of luck for the education. Sheet music :thinking: back to square one!

1 Like