Can we discuss the quality of feedback on recordings? IMHO it has become too positive

I don’t think you necessarily need to find your own voice, it is something you should do to maximize your creativity and to fully express yourself. It doesn’t need to be a singular path. You can play songs by rote according to the recording or courseware, or you can find a way to put your own stamp on it. It’s analogous to cooking without following a recipe exactly. Add your own spice and flavorings.

This is a great point. And one I’ll take to heart personally (the not feeling guilty bit).

Yeah, stitch, that’s what I meant in the first post but you said it better. Unwarranted overwhelming praise causes a cognitive dissonance in the receiver - even if they were trying, they tend to know it’s not right. Something is off between what they’re experiencing vs what they’re receiving in feedback.

It also sets the culture off incorrectly for people. “Oh, is this a place we only say positive things even when something is objectively bad?”, newcomers think. If I was concerned about that, when I’ve been around almost 2 years, you can bet it influences them too.

I agree it’s not reached that level yet but appears/appeared to be heading towards it (hence my post).

I completely agree with throwing out positive vibes (hell, I love them, don’t we all). Just so long as they’re honest, and not done because it’s just the done thing.

It’s a guitar learning forum, feedback should be assumed. If they don’t want feedback they shouldn’t post on the internet, and we shouldn’t go through life worried about offending someone for basic things like learning guitar. If someone is going to be devastated by well-intentioned, encouraging and honest feedback they should think twice about posting.

1 Like

Hi JK.
You’re great. Just a truly wonderful person.
Oh yeah, you can play a bit too!
:hugs:

2 Likes

Aw shucks, cuddle time

:hugs:

1 Like

FAO everyone

One very important point to note please …

The Open Mic performances have never been and should never be seen as an area where critique is made.

That is all about taking the step to perform, enjoyment, entertainment and coming together.
Positive encouragement really is the order of the day in the OM chat topics.

5 Likes

this is at the beginning of AVOYP … so you can assume that if you post a video just because you like it, so you can do so without having to receive or respond to feedback…

at least… that’s how I read it

And in an earlier thread by Brian it was already discussed that you don’t necessarily have to learn to get better to be able to post a video here…

Greetings.

1 Like

Learning guitar is not a basic thing. It is a long journey filled with lots of high and lows. To say it is simple is not correct, although it may come easier to others :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it’s not easy Stuart, I more meant it’s not the kind of thing one should get offended about (as compared to politics, religion, etc etc)

Undo CAPS lock and step away from the keyboards warriors :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi @jkahn
I think you have a point. I like the positive comment- critical
comment- positive comment approach. I would never feel comfortable roasting someone or just dismissing them with a couple of words. But I would definitely want some meaningful criticism otherwise why post in the first place?
At the moment I’m posting videos playing songs with a technique I am practicing and enjoying but I will soon move on to electric guitar and picking which is another bag entirely for me, and if I post I want some criticism but also a bit of encouragement. Which is like most people I suppose.

Simon Cowell GIFs | Tenor

Candid comments are welcome.

Been following this with interest and lots of good points raised along the way, I’ve been in two minds whether to reply or not, because I not only rarely comment on recordings these days but I listen to very few. Especially this year, which is why I have held back on recordings and posting my own stuff, as it feels a bit one way.

On the old forum I was very active member not only asking questions (thousands) but giving advice to those who followed me on the “Old BC and IM Roads”. I also tried to listen and reply to every recording, giving advice where I could and when it was needed.

That’s certainly not the case any more for a number of reasons.

For starters the number of users and posts has grown considerably and new members flood in each month. On the old forum it was a steady trickle and you got to know where folks were on their journey by the type of questions they asked or the tracks they shared. We were all pretty much working off BSB 1 & 2 or the Rock Song Book. So I could relate to where they could or should be. And we were all following the same material.

With so many folk joining now I haven’t a clue where they are, unless they specifically state it in their post. And that brings me onto the next problem.

These days I am feeling more and more unqualified to respond with a technical “critique” on a recording than I was in the past. Every one back then was following the same “old” path. When Justin rewrote the courses and introduced the app, I was well past the old Intermediate and diversifying into the Blues Lead and Rhythm. So relating to Module this or Module that in Grade X or Y is not something I do easily, although I have gone back and looked at the odd new lesson and dip into the “new” Grade 3 now and then. I lost my way here (ie the website) some time back to be honest.

So I am very cautious about my remarks and to be honest cherry pick any recordings I listen to, as I have either known the poster a long time or have established a relationship of sorts with them in the New Big City.

Am I guilty of this toxic positivity phenomena ? I am not sure. I’ve gone back over a few months of posts from this year where I have commented and have generally been positive but I think I tend to qualify the positivity with certain remarks. If there are area that could be improved for example timing or constant hand movement I’ll add a comment or if it relates the “production” ie vox v gtr mix, I’ll offer advice.

But the posts where I have genuinely enjoyed the recording, regardless of the level, I have added a “well done” positive reply.

I avoid technical critique unless its an area I am currently working in, as I am constantly reminded that Justin’s lessons have subtly changed following the rewrites. And I’ve not got the years of experience of some of our members or skill or knowledge of the new lessons to be confident in my reply. eg Dm and pinkie ??? Not in my day. So I say nowt.

And if a recording sucks, I equally will not comment, especially if I have not a clue where the OP is on this path we all tread.

But if you do just get a like from me, I have listened, have enjoyed it but just haven’t got anything constructive to say or its all been said already.

Anyway after all that, I am still not sure if I am guilty of the original “crime” in respect of JK’s statement. But maybe guilty of not giving enough feedback myself.

I would normally close with “Hope that helps” but know this just adds to and muddies the waters even more.

:sunglasses:

9 Likes

Please do not deprive us of your recordings. To me it’s not really a one way street as you contribute a lot to the community answering questions, organising the OMs and providing tailored feedback on recordings where you have genuinely enjoyed them. I think us grasshoppers following behind you in the courses can learn from your recordings as well as from the feedback you give from time to time.

11 Likes

I’m in the same place as Toby: I’ve stopped posting recordings, largely because I’ve stopped listening and commenting like I used to (felt kinda like sipping from a firehose).

As for quality of feedback on recordings, I’ve always thought it tended to lean more “positive/encouraging” than “constructive criticism,” but I also thought that was probably a good thing considering this is an Internet forum (easy to misread the tone of a post) and many of the participants are beginners just learning the instrument.

For my part, I tried to balance responses to recordings between constructive criticism and encouragement, but as I mentioned it’s been some time since I’ve listened and responded to very much.

4 Likes

@J.W.C Jason, I’d love to hear some more of your recordings. Apart from the fact that they have always been a pleasure to listen to, you generally include comprehensive production notes in the posting from which I learn and take inspiration.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I’m with @Socio Toby, you are well into credit on all you have given and still give to the Community, so I’d say post without any guilt. And I tip my hat that you give thought to the Community ethos when thinking about this.

3 Likes

Just back from travels and lots of water under the bridge, but I’ve been dipping into this thread a bit and found a couple of cents in my pocket that I hadn’t spent :smiley:
We share recordings of ourselves for different reasons. My 3 main motivators are

1. To receive feedback on how I can improve
  2. To seek praise/encouragement (‘showing off’)
  3. To engage with fellow guitar enthusiasts and share experiences.

NOT in that order :rofl:

Although I don’t practice it, I believe every Avoyp deserves a ‘like’ click. It takes only a second. It makes the other person feel good and is encouraging.
In my mind it’s an acknowledgement of the person’s effort to record and share.
Written comments are slightly different. I see little difference between a like click and ‘That was amazing’ :thinking:

It’s interesting to note that the members who appear to be most in favour of (and practice) constructive criticism are the most active ones in the Community. That’s a good thing as they often have developed an intuitive sense of what is appropriate and helpful and is tailored to the individual where possible.
I’m not sure I would be impressed with a new member pointing out I had a boring strumming pattern, whereas I’m quite content to smile and ignore @sairfingers telling me I should employ a plectrum :laughing: (I enjoy receiving pointers/tips even if I appear not to incorporate them)

Results vary, but research suggests ‘bad news sandwiches’ are much more effective with a lot more ‘bread’ (5-7 positive comments to one negative :open_mouth:)
For example

The Music critique section from the old forum was mentioned above. I think it was one of the most undervalued/underused sections. I used it a couple of times and found it very helpful. It’s quite an experience to ask for blunt criticism and receive it :flushed:

We’ll all make our own choices, but I’m going to try to

• Click a like to more performances
  • Give less That was great comments.
  • Pay more attention to provide criticism to uploaders who specifically request feedback

Gloves off, seconds out… :laughing:

15 Likes

Well said Brian, insightful as always.

For my own part, what I’ve realised since starting this thread:

• People like positive comments, keep at them
  • Don’t be afraid to offer tips and pointers even when others haven’t
  • Brian is full of wisdom even if he turns up in bad makeup and a crop top
6 Likes

Guys, guys, guys. I think we’re in danger of overthinking all this. We all like a positive comment so let’s continue to give them and offer advice if it’s within our own skill set. Even if the guitar play is outwith our skill set we can all tell if something is out of tune, too fast, slow or whatever.

As for many of us not being up to date with the latest lesson format or revised technique, perhaps if someone is not clear about something in a lesson’s content then as Justin clearly can’t be expected to reply to everyone then perhaps a hotline to the ‘tutors’ is what’s required, not everyone offering their non qualified opinion. @Richard_close2u @LievenDV ?

The use of the ‘like’ button is open to interpretation in my opinion. I think it’s far too vague. Does it mean you actually like the content of the AVoYP? Does it mean you are offering support without actually liking the performance? Is it used simply as a reminder that you’ve listened to the AVoYP? If everyone ‘likes’ everything then it’s totally meaningless.

If people don’t take on board the advice you give them……….

Ffs Brian use a pick! :joy:

6 Likes

That’s what this thread is all about. If everyone says “good job” “your doing great” and the OP is out of tune, bad timing, sloppy chord changes then it become totally meaningless and most responses to AVOYP are exactly that. There is nothing wrong with telling someone to tune their guitar. In fact it’s a positive thing. If you play out of tune or push your string out of tune with bad technique everyone should mention it. This helps the person know what an in tune guitar sounds like.

2 Likes

You mean like a Bat Phone? :rofl:

5 Likes