Can't Help Falling in Love - ELVIS (Cover) Fingerstyle

Your being too critical of yourself (I’m well versed in this tendency :wink:). Jen was very tired of me playing this song when I started fingerstyle. I would play it almost as a meditation to make it automatic. I still do sometimes. I started on a dreadnaught and it was more difficult. I moved to a grand auditorium which was a little more comfortable. My OM is even easier since it is slimmer. Keep it up! Another song that uses the same finger pattern is House of the Rising Sun if you can’t stand to hear this one for a while. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great playing and singing Sandy. Fingerpicking and singing is pretty hard, you did well.

Sandy @SandyMusic

Really loved it, very emotional song for me, it is what is played over the tanoy just before kick off for the football team I support, Sunderland. Almost brings tears to my eyes.
Thanks
Michael

1 Like

Thanks so much Richard. You are spot on. I know I have a posture problem. My pinky and ring finger go numb when I play fingerstyle thus I need to have my forearm positioned that way. The curve of the guitar sits on my lap and the neck dips a bit. Should it be completely horizontal? I tried your method and it was much more comfortable, not so much tension. But it won’t stay that way, I will try and get a strap. I’m thinking a parlor guitar for fingerstyle might me better, will try it out at the store but I don’t have the funds right now. Will be seeing my doctor in Sept to figure out if I have a trapped nerve cos the issue is not only when I play fingerstyle. Hopefully he doesn’t tell me to quit guitar.

1 Like

Hi Sandra, it sounds good to me. Maybe you have not reached the point where you feel at ease playing it (like feeling very close to making a mistake any moment), but from the outside it has reached a point where in my opinion it is good enough and you could try another finger style song and come back to this one from time to time to maintain fresh how to play it.

1 Like

I agree with you.

Sandy, I’ve said it before - I really admire folks who can do finger style. Doing finger style and singing is over the top. This was a really fine performance and I enjoyed it a lot. Another one that brings back memories. Well done.

1 Like

That was lovely, Sandy. It all looked good to me but as always we are our own worst critic. Fingerstyle and singing are not easy, at all but I thought you did a wonderful job of it.

1 Like

Thanks Oldhead… Glad you liked it

Thanks Stefan… you’re right. I listened to it again, and it’s not that bad.

I actually think you sound pretty good. Your singing is great. Chords sound fine to me. The one thing that sticks out to me is a bit of herky-jerky rhythm in the fingerstyle pattern which of course needs to be rock solid for it to sound great.

How much work do you do with a metronome? I would dial it back to about half the speed you are playing it and just play the fingerstyle at that speed with a metronome. It’s going to be painfully slow. Then bump it up about 2 bpm daily until you get it completely up to speed, and only then try singing again.

1 Like

Thanks - that’s good advice… I just need to follow it, and I will.

Can’t help falling in love with the metronome. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I admit, there is no love lost between me and the metronome, but I do need to start using it.

Hi Sandy,

Great song.
Good to hear the King getting some love.

Lovely job. Didn’t sound at all like it was falling apart.
Perfection is in the enjoyment.

Digger

1 Like

Thanks Stephen - Glad you enjoyed. I might try strumming 6/8.

Hi,
Love the song and you did it up pretty good. If you have the recording capability, why not track the guitar and then play it back in your headphones and track the vocals at that time? At least it would solve your dilemma…

All the best,
LB

It’s a good suggestion, LBRO, thanks for bringing it up. But I don’t know how to do that yet, I know it takes AI and DAW, but I admit I can’t be bothered, I just use my phone or webcam with Shure mic and that’s my production. Easy for me. And quite frankly I really prefer learning to play the guitar fully before I start fiddling with backing tracks and stuff.