Can't You See (Black Stone Cherry) - cover

Hello people!
Some time ago, our mutual friend @TheMadman_tobyjenner performed a song by this band on an Open Mic. And then I discovered Black Stone Cherry for myself. I wonder why I didn’t know them before :crazy_face:
Thank you, Toby for expanding my horizons :handshake:
I did this cover without acoustics, keys, synths and all that. Just good old Ibanez and the bass. In the second verse, I used my ancient Weeping Demon wah pedal from Ibanez - it’s still alive! :wink:
I tried to steer the heavy dense south rock sound in the mix, but I wasn’t too happy with it :thinking:
This confirms the axiom that it is impossible to achieve such a sound at home, which is made by professionals in studios worth hundreds of thousands of dollars :laughing:
Well, okay, I did what I could…
Keep on rocking,
Leo
Here it is:
Stream Can’t You See (Black Stone Cherry) - cover by crocodile1 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
Lyrics:
[Verse 1]
I gonna take a freight train
Down at the station
And I don’t care where it goes
Gonna climb a mountain
The highest mountain, Lord
Gonna jump off, and nobody gonna know

[Chorus]
Can’t you see, whoa, can’t you see
What that woman, she been doin’ to me

[Verse 2]
I’m gonna find me
A hole in the wall
I’ll crawl inside and die
‘Cause my lady
A mean ol’ woman, Lord
She never told me goodbye

[Chorus]
[Guitar Solo]

[Verse 3]
I’m gonna take a southbound
Down to Georgia, now
I ain’t never coming back
I’m gonna buy me a ticket, Lord
And go as far as I can
Till that train run out of track

[Chorus]

6 Likes

Leonid

The best of your recordings I’ve heard so far. The balance between voice and guitars is far better and your singing benefits from a slightly less aggressive delivery than that on some of your other tracks. The production on this is great. I’d listen to it again.

Brian

This is way above my level to comment on your playing / production, I simply don’t hear those details you mentioned. Every song you posted sounds like professional level song to me. This is no exception, it is simply amazing. :blush:

Another great recording Leo, one to add to your ever growing archive of goodies. :slight_smile:

Good energy! Really enjoyed, thanks for posting!.. :guitar:

Hi Leo,
Great song and great rendition of it by you!. Vox is really nice on the harmonies and doubling. Good guitar work, like the lead runs! Just a nice toe tapper all around mate!

Keep up the good vibe and work!
LBro

Nice!

Hi Leo,

wow, great rendition! Way beyond my playgrade to offer anything but applause. Playing and singing sounded great, you definitely rock! :metal: :clap:
To me, you really caught the vibe. Excellent production. :smiley:

@beejay56, @Boris1565, @Richard_close2u, @browan377, @LBro, @southofpegasus, @Lisa_S
Thanks, guys for responding! :blush:
This song is really quite simple, with just a few chords. But there is drive and energy there, however, as in all Black Stone Cherry songs :sunglasses:
Keep on rocking,
Leo

2 Likes

Hey ,
Another nice cover. Well done.
As I don’t see it mentioned here, I was just wondering… do you know this song is actually written by The Marshall Tucker Band ? it’s a classic “country rock” song, (explaining the only 3 chords of the song)
I think the original song could suit you very well too Leo. Maybe one day you’ll do also another version of this one ?? haha. I know I’d like to hear it too :wink:

Anyway, great job on that one !!! Nice recordings and nice mixing skills !!! that rocked

Kev

MTB’s original is a staple Jam song at most jams. Everyone can take turns soloing over it and everyone knows the lyrics. Great tune

Chalk full of thump, grind and fuzzy distorted goodness. Nice share and fun listen. The forum is on blues overload right now, I think I can go a full six months without any more of it to be honest – so thanks for the pure rock joy.

@Cagn, @stitch,
Thanks, guys for new information for me. I didn’t know…
The original original is very high! It would be very interesting to make such a cover. It’s just a pity that the vocalist sings too high for me.
Well, maybe I’ll figure something out.

@CT
Hi, Clint! Thank you, glad to hear from you.
And I didn’t know I wasn’t trending :laughing:

There’s a big difference in singing in Key and singing to pitch. If you can sing Sweet Home Alabama you can sing Can’t you See. Same chords

Well, it all depends on the range of my vox.
Btw, when I sang Sweet Home Alabama, I had to lower the key by one or one and a half tones. I don’t remember exactly, it’s been a while :confused:

Well played Leonid, haven’t heard this cover before, and you did a great job with it … :clap:

Being “old school” I like the MTB original production too, but it’s always good hear other arrangements.

That would be news to me as well. Take on Mars when you are done hanging the moon. LOL