CD02 AVOYP #1 - Just Another Moment - Redgum

Hi Guys,

Well, never thought I’d be posting up a video so soon but I’ll be away for a while soon so wanted to get one up before I leave.

I have been dabbling on and off for years with guitar but last year with time on my hands I decided that I wanted to learn to play better and also study some Music Theory so late last year I began the JG Practical and also the Music Theory and here we are about 4 months in having completed Grade 1 Module 3 Practical.

It certainly is interesting studying your own form in videos and also I must admit a lot of fun. This was just shot on a GoPro Hero 7 so sound is what it is as they say until the day comes that I set up with an audio interface and Mics.

13 Likes

Nice playing Craig. Not a song I’m familiar with but sounded good.

Well done Craig @CD02 really liked that

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo and well done, Craig. The first recording is always a big step and you did really well. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

You are doing well with your stated goal to work on rhythm and strumming. I did notice that your left leg keeping the beat was on and off. Chords, strumming, tapping, and singing is a lot of moving parts. I suggest in practice time spend some time with strumming drills, the metronome, and keeping the foot tapping. Watch pro artists and you’ll see even they often have something going on in the body, such as a foot tap, a head bob, etc to have the beat and rhythm in the body.

Chord changes were good, fingers well in control. Maybe take a look at your C chord. Based on what I see in the video, you could work on getting a bit more stretch out on the ring finger to get the finger tip closer to the fret. Nothing wrong with how it sounded, just something to keep working at as you progress.

I enjoyed your singing. I have a feeling you were purposefully or unconsciously singing softly. Quite normal as one gets going, making that first recording. I encourage you to sing out, open up the mouth and let rip a little more.

And the recording sound quality with the GoPro was just great. No need to rush into anything more complicated … unless you really want to :grin:

Look forward to your next in due course

Hello Craig, congratulations on your first AVOYP. What a great debut :+1::clap::star_struck:.
Strumming sounded good and looked really relaxed. Chord changes were clean and I really like your voice. It suited so well to the song :smiley:.
A very enjoyable performance. Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

#1 indeed! :smiley:
Well done, Craig. Bravo!

Good stuff first:
Nice song choice. Folk often forget that good taste in music is half the battle :rofl:
You say you struggle with strumming. That was a pretty solid performance. A couple of hesitant changes, but you ploughed on through. Kudos.
You have an easy voice to listen to and can hold a tune. Another big head start :smiley:
I enjoyed the ‘blurb’ intro (and have been known to ‘overindulge’ in that department :rofl:)

A couple of niggly bits: Acoustic guitars can be quite loud and the voice can be drowned out sometimes in a single camera recording. Don’t worry about that, but I was wondering if that soundhole pickup is being used to amplify, as that would be unnecessary here.
About 3 minutes in after a chord change hesitancy, I thought there was a slight shake of your head. Remember, everybody watching is cheering you on and wanting you to do well. If you’re able to replace that shake with a smile, it changes the whole dynamics of the performance.
Speaking of dynamics, that will be something to address further down the tracks when you’re more comfortable with the whole recording and performance lark.
I shall plant the Open Mic seed early, as they can take a long time to germinate but bear bountiful fruit :smiley:
Take a bow!

Great first AVoYP Craig, well done. Confidently played and very well sung. I don’t know the song or artist but i enjoyed the listen and it’s a really good song.

You say you struggle with strumming. I thought your strumming pattern suited the song and you kept the rhythm going well throughout. It was just a bit repetitive and lacked a bit of a dynamic.
Perhaps mix the pattern up for the chorus, accent the off beat, add in some bass note emphasis.

Looking forward to more from you.

@DavidP “I did notice that your left leg keeping the beat was on and off “
“ Maybe take a look at your C chord. Based on what I see in the video, you could work on getting a bit more stretch out on the ring finger to get the finger tip closer to the fret”

Thanks David, yes, I consciously try to tap my foot hence sometimes you see it but I find it throws me off, too much going on :roll_eyes:. it’ll be something I work on :+1: along with the finger stretch. Only realised this watching he video and I’m currently working on JG lesson with the scale and finger stretches so hoping that will improve :+1:
And yes, not intentionally but I did mutter a bit :joy: plenty to think bout and practice going forward :+1:

Hi @brianlarsen ” but I was wondering if that soundhole pickup is being used to amplify, as that would be unnecessary here.
About 3 minutes in after a chord change hesitancy, I thought there was a slight shake of your head”

:joy::joy: thanks and yes, in a split second I realised I had started to move to the wrong chord and corrected it making it sound hesitant :roll_eyes::joy::joy: followed by the disapproving shake of the head :grimacing: :grinning:

Indeed the pickup was plugged in and the amp was on so there was not only the raw sound but also some sound from the Amp on which the GoPro was standing, good point, probably didn’t need that :+1::+1:

@sairfingers also thanks, “It was just a bit repetitive and lacked a bit of a dynamic”

Yes, I love the sound when someone who can actually play can add those touches to really lift it. It’s definitely something I’ll be thinking about and working on along the way. At the moment I’m glad I got through with a half reasonable strum pattern :joy::joy: thanks again :+1:

1 Like

Hi Craig,
Congratulations on your first video, and what a first one :sunglasses: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: :man_bowing:
You easily could bowed at the end :sunglasses: for some extra applause :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Great opening post Craig. I do love folk songs as there is always a story to tell and this one was very enjoyable. Keep up the good work! :sunglasses:

Lol, thanks @roger_holland , not sure I’m quite that happy with it yet but the win for me is getting a pattern going and also just posting it up, I never play in front of people normally so it’s a journey👍. It’s good to be applying myself finally🙄

1 Like

Hi @CD02 ,
Excellent guitar playing, and lovely singing!
When I first started to play the guitar, I sing my heart out, and my guitar playing was simply trying to keep up.
For me, the strumming hand is the heart and spirit of the song.
The chords are simply chords, and can be executed almost the same way most of the time, but the strumming can be executed a hundred different ways, with different patterns and dynamics.
Feel free, and feel the song as you sing your heart out.
Just do it!
Congratulations on your first one.
Keep on playing!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

1 Like

That was great Craig. Such a great band, of course Only Nineteen being their most iconic hit ever.
Really great and your strumming sounded equally fabulous

Hi @CateB yes indeed, Only Nineteen certainly was, I thought their quirky style was great and they’re one group that epitomises Australia for me along with the likes of Gang Gajan. :+1:

As my journey progresses I’d like to be able to showcase more Australian groups.

appreciate your comments.:+1:

1 Like

Well, you’ll have plenty of material. I feel we have some great bands, which of course I’m a tad bias but can’t beat the 80s. Ice House, Gurus, LRB, Aussie Crawl and so on.
Redgum, whilst not groundbreaking vocalists, as you so, quirky but Nineteen, the lyrics were so profound.

That was really enjoyable Craig. Look forward to hearing more

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Craig. I thought you did a great job. Your strumming was excellent after it being so foreign to you. You should be proud of what you have produced here.

Thanks @SgtColon appreciate the feedback. I’m certainly happy with the short term achievements but there’s a long road ahead yet :roll_eyes::grinning: ,

1 Like