Celebrating a New Guitar Day

And another hour passes. Curious ? Guesses ?

Part 6

1 Like

I guess - a new guitar! Kind of sad that’s it’s all in pieces though :confused:

1 Like

Maybe Toby wasn’t as good as he thought he was this years so
Santa gave him a puzzle of a guitar so he needs to put it together

:thinking:

My guess: a Gretsch double-cut semi-hollow. Maybe one of the Streamliner models.

Here’s one of mine from a new guitar day a couple of years ago.

It’s name is Lucky, it’s from the same luthier that built Maggies Cedar.

4 Likes

Jason

For that you get a badge !!

Part 8

The next picture should make it a given but as its Christmas, there’s a tale to tell before the full reveal. As I said this is all down to Richard and Darrell and I expect them to take full responsibility.

But boy is it good in the flesh !! Surprised our resident fisher-man aint biting ! :sunglasses:

Tony that is real cool. My daughter would rip your heart out to get hold of that purple princess ! :sunglasses: I’d do the same for the back-hoe bucket !! :wink:

1 Like

When I asked for it to be done in purple, the luthier did a double take and a big gulp. I can’t remember his exact words. I explained that it’s my favourite colour and it was not negotiable. So happy with how it turned out.

I bet you can’t :wink: She has to be a keeper for sure. :sunglasses:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Gretsch G2622T?

@tony Your Lucky purple princess is a beauty. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im going for G6620T but also was suspecting Gretsch from the start :slight_smile:

1 Like

:poop: Jason you scoundrel !! So ok you get the confirmation pic post for the punchline beater !!!

Once the Mrs has retired I’ll go into Max Bygraves mode, some may need to google for that one. Anyway, how long the tale will be, qui sais. There’s still 4 hours left of of the Jour De Noel and the Chateau Neuf Du Pape aint empty…yet !!

Part 9

Who wants to be a millionaire ? I do !!! Adi if I had that kind of dosh it would have been a no brainer - Gretsch G6136T-55VS White Falcon !

1 Like

Well fair enough I take a pride in guessing manufacturer at least! :grinning:

1 Like

I guess that it has a wibbly-wobbly thing at the the bridge.

1 Like

Are you suggesting a link to Trainspotting for those that cannae spell ??

OK so we take one step close and a clip from one of my favourite flims !

Ain’t I a tease !

1 Like

So ok I could not find a suitable Max Bygrave’s exert on YouTube to extract the “I wanna tell you a story” so heck I’ll just go for it. And oldies will relate anyway !
I have blamed Richard and perhaps more importantly Dusenberg Darrell for this particular NGD ! Why ? Read on.

Back in October I cracked out a late night post

And got some great feedback from you dudes. Then @DarrellW said

I’ve said to others Vibrato and bends etc would really enhance it. Overall you’ve done quite well, progress is definitely being made!

A repos from @Richard_close2u came up with

In the absence of having a Kossoff-like wibbly-hand why not think in terms of Bigsby … you know, some lovely Grestch-type beauty with a big old hunk of sprung-loaded metal just sitting there, right underneath your hand simply wanting to be caressed and pressed.

And a follow up

All learning informs future learning.
All practice informs future playing.
Pieces make up wholes.
There must be some Zen wisdom to describe this …

Quote from: tobyjenner on October 03, 2021, 11:26:09 pm

…as to yes a whammy thing would be good. None of the Gibos have them and I took them off both Strats on day one. Do I really have to go shopping again ? Do I ? Say yes !
I have never, ever had a bar in situ when playing a Strat. I just don’t like it. You can do things do make the bar stay put rather than swinging loose. But a Bigsby is in a fixed position, always there, never swinging loose and just ready for action. I have only ever held and played a good Gretsch once - when I sourced one for Mr Bumble of this parish a few years ago - and I ended up using the Bigsby and liking it.
You do have options …
You may not want to do this to the LPs as it would compromise on their ‘original form’.
You could have a Bigsby retro-fitted to a guitar.
If not one of your Les Pauls then maybe your Washburn.
You have a local luthier you trust now don’t you … make an enquiry.
Bring an old guitar into new life.
That said, it would cost about half the price of a new mid-budget Gretsch.

And so seeds were sown !! But in the same breathe Dusenberg Darrell offered the following !

Or perhaps one of these, it’s the same as Danish Pete has done to one of his.
Duesenberg Les Trem II Chrome - Retrofit Trem For Tune-O-Matic - Andertons Music Co.

Yay coolio Dazzer !! Off I popped to Thomann. I’ll have nickel version of that Dusenberg bolt on doofer for my Washburn HB30 please. 2 to 3 weeks nae bather !! Email your order has been delayed !! Email your order is out of stock FFS. Quick chat with the great guys a Thomann please cancel order sorted. Cushty !

Back to Thomann OOoo chrome version available !! Click buy sorted. Wait for delivery. Shoot damn thing is upside down wodda fudda is going on ! Aha ! Yep its the righties that are delayed but the lefties are available tout suite and I now have one ! But no good for me !! Check the small print. So by the wonders of the Thomann 30 day return, leftie chocolate tea pot despatched to Germany and money refunded!!

Then I get thinking about Trainspotting ! What did MrC say ?? Something about a Begsbie ? Someone mentioned Gretsch ? I’ll have some of that please.

So dropped on this beauty. Am I pleased ? Like a dog with two tails !

7 Likes

Nice!!! Let’s hear some music!

1 Like

Soon Mari, I have some vocals to work on first ! And I’ve been neglecting you ! Be in touch soon ! :sunglasses:

1 Like