Chad from Maryland

Hi everyone!

I’m 42 years old and have never played an instrument in my life - until 6 months ago! I don’t really know how to describe my epiphany and just how exciting the last 6 months has been for me in learning guitar and how this all came to be - I just realized out of nowhere one day that it would be a great outlet and that with my love for music, why not give it a try? I started October 1st and have practiced almost every day…I just love the JustinGuitar platform. I am currently on Module 10 (Grade 2) and taking my time, learning and loving every step of the way (and trying to remain “easy on myself” each day, despite my strong desire to get better…as it is very difficult!) And F chord is taking me quite a while to get but I’m staying patient! Lol

Even as I’ve begun on this exciting journey, I have continued to identify as a “non-singer,” UNTIL more recently in the last few weeks. I’m starting to understand the added excitement of singing along and have been attempting to learn some basic introductory singing techniques. To put it simply, I have a guitar problem (hahaha) -I’m having a blast and it’s been a phenomenal gift in my life to suddenly be on this wild journey.

Anyway, I’m a huge fan of JustinGuitar and I’ve been inspired by learning more about the Community and the opportunity to view/hear everyone’s videos and to submit some videos of my own in the near future and hear some feedback.

Glad to be here with you all!

Chad from Maryland

2 Likes

Hey Chad, good to see you here and read about your guitar journey thus far. I understand completely about the struggles with the F chord as it’s taking me a while to get as well. It sounds like your having fun learning. Looking forward to hearing your progress!

Welcome to the Community, Chad, sounds like you are making great progress and having a blast doing so. Look forward to hearing you play and sing in due course. Take a look in #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing to see and hear what that is all about.

Welcome to the community Chad, from sunny Australia.
Great to hear you’re havin fun with it mate, as thats what it really all about. Sure, we all get frustrated at times with it - I know I certainly do - but its all part of it. :grin:
You’re right, Justin’s a tremendous teacher, and this great community is full of friendly folk helpin each other out.
Lookin forward to your progress, and maybe an AVOYP when you’re ready. And don’t hesistate to ask for help - we all need it sometime.
All the best
Cheers, Shane.

Hello Chad and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’re loving your journey and who can blame you, playing the guitar is such a wonderful thing.

Stick with that F chord, it’s a tricksy little thing but it open up so much once you’ve got it.

Great stuff Chad. I’m jealous (just kidding) of your early start (not kidding). I started 10 years ago at the age of 53 and I’m still amazed at the fun I’m having. Keep at it!