Change strings... now have some buzz

Hi all. I was looking to go to a lighter gauge string to alleviate some finger pain, but switching to a Custom Light 11 from a Light 12 I am now finding some buzz when lifting my fretting hand off the neck (not exactly where). I didn’t have this behaviour before the switch.

Guitar in question is Seagull S6 Original.

So the buzz was annoying me and my son. I don’t have the tool for a truss rod adjustment, but when I called the store I got the guitar from, they suggested that I shouldn’t do that myself as I don’t know what I am doing (on this, I admit I am a rookie). I swapped the strings out back for the originals. I still think I hear a bit more buzz than I had initially, but not as much as I did with the Custom Lights.

I know about luthiers and guitar setup, and my shop actually owes me a setup within the first year of purchase (I am only 1 month in). I was holding off and was going to do it before winter as the seasons change. People can’t be in need of a setup every time they change strings… that would be crazy.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sounds like you need to check the relief in the neck first and adjust the truss rod as necessary. Changing string gauge will sometimes necessitate slight adjustment.
Not difficult, and pretty straight forward, but can be unnerving if you’ve never done it before. A truss rod tool is just an Allen key on most guitars.

You can check out some tutorials on the web from reputable sites.

All the best.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

I am not familiar with that particular guitar, but if its an electric, Justin’s lesson series on setting up your guitar might help?

A truss rod adjustment can be a bit intimidating, but the ‘try a tiny adjustment and check’ method is recommended, i.e. turn it an eight of a turn, check for buzz, rinse and repeat. You should be able to find out which frets are buzzing by playing them one at a time from the nut to the bridge.

Yes, it sounds like he needs a truss rod adjustment for the lighter strings. He said he’s not comfortable trying to do it himself, and that he’s owed a free setup from the store. My suggestion is to get the setup for the lighter strings and move on. When I went from 12s to 10s on my acoustic, I had a setup done and it’s fine. My Taylor came with lifetime setups from the store.

Due to changes in temperture and humidity (and changing strings) you can get buzz anytime especially if you have a low action. It’s good to know how to adjust the truss rod so you don’t have to bring it somewhere for a fairly straight forward adjustment. Lots of info on the web. just make small adjustments at a time. I do 1/8 of a turn at a time. Sometimes i wait a few hours to give the neck some time to adjust.

I have adjusted (in-between the strings)… 1/8th of a turn here or there. I supposed I have lessened or increased buzzing on and off, but haven’t eliminated it. I have read a bunch on adjusting… suggesting 1/4 turns and then checking. I did read some anecdote about being able to do 1-2 full turns and you would still be ok… I have likely done 1/4-1/2 turn… but I think I am going take it back to the shop and see what they say… I might just get that setup that is owed. I will let you all know.

1 Like

Yes, get the shop setup.

Ignore any advice that says 1-2 full turns. That is likely to cause damage.

Cheers,

Keith