Chazzo78 - May 2023 - 1st recordings - Thinking About You (Beck) + Reckless Serenade (Arctic Monkeys)

Super debut Lee. Welcome from out of the shadows. You’ve got a great voice so no need to be concerned on that front. Lovely fingerstyle too, something that’s difficult do whilst singing as the brain has such a lot to think about. The secret is to get the pattern on autopilot and you seem to have pretty much achieved that.
Certainly not butchery. No more self depreciation allowed! :wink:
Well done. I look forward to your next project.

2 Likes

Thanks for having a listen :slightly_smiling_face: it took many hours of practice but when you start to put things together it’s a great feeling. I’m sure you’re on your way to becoming an accomplished player, keep at it, have fun and you’ll soon be picking along to your favourite songs :v:

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: yeah I need to be less harsh on myself, I’m working on it lol. It seems I did well picking a song that no one knows, that way there’s nothing to compare it with :joy:

Appreciate the supportive comments :blush: I’m going to try and post a vid every month, that way it’ll help me focus on practicing and stop drifting from one song to another without really getting it down. Thanks again :v:

Also, I’ve really enjoyed your Dylan covers and have been drooling over your Martin D28 :drooling_face:

1 Like

Spontaneous decision to post seems like the way to go for you there Lee, that was great. Really clean picking and changes super smooth maintaining a really good flow.
Bravo, hope you decide to take another break from decorating asap!!
:clap: :clap: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, man :v: I hope I get a break too! :sweat_smile: one job always seems to lead to another tho :joy:

1 Like

Great :exclamation: Sound great :exclamation: Love the fingerstyle playing. Keep on :exclamation: :grinning: :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

That’s a superb performance there Lee! Picking was silky smooth. Couldn’t fault it!

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting.

Well I thought that was excellent Lee. No nerves showed, I loved the laid back feel of the song, your fingerpicking was great and I thought you had a nice voice to boot.

I’m looking forward to seeing more from you.

1 Like

Wow!!! That was amazing Jeff (Lee). :clap:
Never heard this song before. You made me curious.
I can imagine you have plucked this pattern a couple of hours before you came to this result :rofl:

Youre fingerpicking sounded relaxed and seemed to be pretty much in time aswell.
That song «looked good» on you Jeff (Lee :wink:) you owned it… keep it up :+1:

1 Like

Thank you, Trond :slightly_smiling_face: yeah, was practiced quite a lot over a couple of weeks to get the pattern down (still a couple of fluffs tho :joy:)

One thing tho…who’s Jeff? :wink: :v:

Hahahahahaha!! Yeah. Who is he :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Hey man, that was a really good debut! No reason to be less than confident in your voice. I enjoyed it and feels like it suited the song well. Maybe experiment with singing out loud a little, felt like you were holding back? I liked the mellow vibe as it was though. Good clean fingerpicking and chord changes. I recognize the “red light syndrome” so well, I always muck up more when the camera is on. Anyways, very well done and keep posting!

1 Like

Thanks for having a listen, Erik :slightly_smiling_face: yeah I’m not a confident singer at all but I’m getting a little better, trying to find songs that I can get away with doing vocals for and being a bit braver. Thank you for the encouragement, it’s really appreciated :v:

Hi Lee,
If this is your first post, it is very good. Your voice reminds me of @CT, who is on here now and then.

Great job… I think it came out really well and for a one off, just a nice job!

Keep up the good vibe and be well!
LB

1 Like

If only I had such a nice voice! @Chazzo78, you do you man. Sounded really good. Nicely done!

1 Like

Thank you both @LBro & @CT :slightly_smiling_face: I really appreciate the nice feedback :+1: I recorded another song today using the MacBook camera, but it recorded through the in built mic instead of the Scarlett :roll_eyes: so the audio is a little quiet, I’ll hopefully start to get used the technology haha I’m a bit of a noob at the mo :v:

You might want to look at Reaper (DAW) for the Mac. I say so as the video how-to library is extensive. You can learn at your own pace in there. Kenny does the videos and has complete how to start vids on the whole deal, plus much more. I know of no other DAW that has such an extensive, well done video library! Most vids are about 10 minutes long and easy to follow… Kenny might be the Justinguitar of DAWs!

Be sure to EXPAND the video sections as there is a ton of videos under all the sub headings!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Thanks for the advice :+1: I’ve dipped my toe into GarageBand but nothing really extensive so far, just a couple of basic recordings to get familiar with it all. Will have a read up on the Reaper stuff :v:

Been practicing this one quite a lot the last couple of weeks and thought I’d have a go at recording it in GarageBand, then wanted to film it and have a go at combining the audio with the video :weary: I was pleased with the audio recording but because I’m a Luddite it took me forever to work out how put it together haha :joy:

I’m still a noob with the tech so the audio could be a little louder, I didn’t put any reverb or ambience (maybe they were on 1 or 2) but I really didn’t mess with much at all, just turned down the low end a touch because it was pretty bass heavy. Still need to work out other things like mic placement and the basic of all the EQ stuff, but for now just wanted to get a recording under my belt.

Self critique- a few fluffs at the end and the barre chords could be a lot less sloppy. But honestly, I don’t think I could’ve done it better in another 50 takes. Think it’s because I was so concerned the recording was working (as you’ll see from my ‘serous’ face at the end lol) that I just played quite freely.

Cover of Arctic Monkeys ‘Reckless serenade’

Any comments/critiques are very welcome :v:

3 Likes

Hmm… i really like youre laidback mellow style Lee!
Its really plesant and soothing to listen to. Love youre strumming, and how you pick out the strings. It sounds really nice.
Dont know Artic Monkeys much, so i dont think ive heard this one before. Does not matter. You owned this one too.
Voice is also very very good…
well done!

1 Like