Chords In A Key (Diatonic Triads)

Let's dive deeper into the relationship between chords and scales and understand what chords in keys are!

View the full lesson at Chords In A Key (Diatonic Triads) | JustinGuitar

Doing more examples like recommended definitely helped solidify the concept. This stuff is starting to really come together into something useful now :grin:

1 Like

OMG!!! It is like everything, all of a sudden, makes sense. I could never work it out, but now I understand…

1 Like

Good Afternoon. I follow this and see the connection between major scales and chord progressions. However, I tried to do this with the F# and other # scales and got stuck. On my Major scales chart, there isn’t a scale for D#, E#, G#, A#. As an example, when I tried to find the Major scale for G#, B, D# I couldn’t find G# which is needed to assess the triad. Please advise.

1 Like

You’re Major scale chart has the flat equivalent scales.
D# look for Eb, E# is F, G# look for Ab, A# look fo Bb

2 Likes

Most charts will omit those keys because they contain one or more double sharps.

As an example, these are the notes in the D# major key:
D♯, E♯, F𝄪, G♯, A♯, B♯, C𝄪 (read: F double sharp and C double sharp).

If we look at it’s enharmonic equivalent, the key of Eb major, we don’t have any double flats. Although the notes are played identically, it’s much easier to read a piece of music in Eb than it is in D#.

Eb F G Ab Bb C D

2 Likes

At 1.55 corrective text pops up to say Justin meant triad, not scale. Triad is misspelled as traid.

1 Like

I find the direction we are receiving in the lessons to be very clear and concise, even though it sometimes requires that I slow down to make sure I really get the concepts before I move on. That said, I haven’t developed a good rule of thumb yet to know when I should be memorizing the fundamentals for future use as opposed to referring back to written “cheat sheets” that I am developing as I go. I guess that will be up to me over time and how proficient I really want to become!

1 Like

Hi, I think im missing something really simple but important here. when I try to work out the triads in a different key such as G or D there are problems with the results.
Do I use the actual triads for the chord in question or do I use the Maj min min major sequence and adjust the triad accordingly to make it man or minor? Right up till this point I have been fine but Im guessing it’s my very slow brain sorry.

1 Like

I think the simplest way is to think about only using the notes that are available from whatever scale you are using. So for G you would build up chords only using G A B C D E F# . That will then automatically give you the maj min min maj… etc sequence.

2 Likes

Thank you I will give that a go and try again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much, got it now, I think I need a glass of Vino lol
Thanks again

2 Likes